+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV for Dependent Child - Process from UK vs India – Need suggestion for quick travel

can_asp

May 15, 2021
I had originally started posting my questions in another thread (link here) but then realized I have more follow up questions and keeping a separate thread would help

My Situation (Pasting again from the original thread)

• My wife and I are Indian Nationals, holders of Canadian PR card but currently living in UK. We must re-enter Canada before Apr 2022 to meet PR Residency Obligation.
  • Very recently, we are blessed with a baby boy in UK (Indian Citizen) and we couldn’t extend our visa to continue staying in UK and is expiring by e\o Jun 2021.
  • Post UK Visa expiry,
    • we are afraid to leave for India due to the current covid situation there, possible delays in processing Canada visa for my newborn and the flight ban Canada imposed on India. If the flight ban is not revoked before Apr 2022, we might even end up losing our PR status in Canada.
    • If we must leave for Canada directly from UK, our new-born would need a visa. Since one of the parents need to be physically in Canada to sponsor PR for the dependent child, would you suggest we try applying TRV for the newborn from UK so we could take the newborn with us immediately? Per Canada.ca site, Current processing timelines for TRV is 427 days from UK. Are there any possibility of requesting for expediated processing for my scenario? Also, what are the chances of approval as our intent is to take the child there and apply PR sponsorship and not really for tourism purpose. If this is not approved, would it affect any future visa requests for my newborn in Canada including His PR visa when we sponsor later?
    • Having said that we only have time till e/o June 2021 in UK, is TRV the best route we could follow to take the newborn directly to Canada from UK or would you suggest any other route?
Suggestion Received so far

From ‘Armoured’:
  • Post1- Apply for TRV. You can see if there is some kind of request for urgent processing. Ignore the 427 days, many of not most TRV apps were not being processed at all so the numbers tell you little.
  • Post2 - No, it won't negatively affect future applications. The biggest constraint is time, no idea how long a TRV app might take you for your child. So you may need to make alternative plans.
Truly grateful to ‘Armoured’ for giving quick suggestion to me!

Follow up Questions I have: (New-born TRV)

1. Would applying TRV in Person (Paper based), along with a cover letter requesting for expedited service, make any difference than applying online in London VFS?
  2. My wife and I have USA tourist visa and a travel history in USA, UK and Canada. Does that help my new-born TRV request qualify to be processed under CAN+?
  3. Our UK work permit visa expires by e/o June 2021. Assuming TRV request gets picked for processing before then, would our temporary status & less available visa duration in UK have any negative impact in getting TRV approved for new-born?
  4. If we apply TRV in UK and if a decision on that is not made before our UK visa expires and we are to leave India, could we transfer the already submitted TRV application from UK to India? Due to current covid19 situation in India, VFS offices may have been closed and hence trying my luck to at least get the biometrics completed in UK before going to India. Is that feasible and suggested?
  5. Be it processing TRV in UK or India, during this covid times, do they request passport for stamping the visa or just issue approval letter using which we could travel Canada?
  6. If we are lucky enough to get TRV approved for the new-born, I believe the baby could travel (assuming no flight ban) with us to Canada (both parents are PR card holders) without need for any special authorization?
  7. Any tips or advise on how to increase chances of new-born TRV approved as the intent is dual (travel on TRV and then get PR sponsorship from parents)
Many thanks in advance for taking your valuable time to read through my case and providing your valuable suggestions!

Thanks!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My wife and I have USA tourist visa and a travel history in USA, UK and Canada. Does that help my new-born TRV request qualify to be processed under CAN+?
Our UK work permit visa expires by e/o June 2021. Assuming TRV request gets picked for processing before then, would our temporary status & less available visa duration in UK have any negative impact in getting TRV approved for new-born?
Respectfully, does it matter at this point? Whatever the chances are, does it help you to know whether it's 20% or 45%? The reality is the reality, and the reality is you need a concrete response to your specific visa application, not a probability. (For the record, USA/UK visas and work experience probably help; too many unknowns to know whether that matters. Your degree of establishment in Canada might be more important, for example - ie if you could make a concrete argument you are 'returning' to Canada. Plus other factors I can't guess at.)

If we apply TRV in UK and if a decision on that is not made before our UK visa expires and we are to leave India, could we transfer the already submitted TRV application from UK to India? Due to current covid19 situation in India, VFS offices may have been closed and hence trying my luck to at least get the biometrics completed in UK before going to India. Is that feasible and suggested?
Generally they can insert the visa anywhere where a visa office is functioning. It can be a bit time-consuming if offices (incl VFS offices) do not know what to do, but if you get the passport request to insert the visa, should be possible anywhere.

There are no biometrics taken for children under 14.

Be it processing TRV in UK or India, during this covid times, do they request passport for stamping the visa or just issue approval letter using which we could travel Canada?
If passport / nationality requires a visa, they require the passport. (There may be exceptions I'm not aware of).

If we are lucky enough to get TRV approved for the new-born, I believe the baby could travel (assuming no flight ban) with us to Canada (both parents are PR card holders) without need for any special authorization
Correct, immediate family exemption.

Any tips or advise on how to increase chances of new-born TRV approved as the intent is dual (travel on TRV and then get PR sponsorship from parents)
It may be worth trying to see if an MP's office could help but I have no idea whether this would actually be effective. Argument is mainly to consider your application urgently because you can all travel to Canada from UK but back and forth to India may be almost impossible due to flight bans. (There may be other arguments).

If you have active visas valid elsewhere (eg usa or schengen), possible that going through one of those may be preferable. But honestly no idea. Possiblity you may get 'stuck' somewhere for a while if you try that.

Good luck.

Reactions: can_asp

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I had originally started posting my questions in another thread (link here) but then realized I have more follow up questions and keeping a separate thread would help

My Situation (Pasting again from the original thread)

• My wife and I are Indian Nationals, holders of Canadian PR card but currently living in UK. We must re-enter Canada before Apr 2022 to meet PR Residency Obligation.
  • Very recently, we are blessed with a baby boy in UK (Indian Citizen) and we couldn’t extend our visa to continue staying in UK and is expiring by e\o Jun 2021.
  • Post UK Visa expiry,
    • we are afraid to leave for India due to the current covid situation there, possible delays in processing Canada visa for my newborn and the flight ban Canada imposed on India. If the flight ban is not revoked before Apr 2022, we might even end up losing our PR status in Canada.
    • If we must leave for Canada directly from UK, our new-born would need a visa. Since one of the parents need to be physically in Canada to sponsor PR for the dependent child, would you suggest we try applying TRV for the newborn from UK so we could take the newborn with us immediately? Per Canada.ca site, Current processing timelines for TRV is 427 days from UK. Are there any possibility of requesting for expediated processing for my scenario? Also, what are the chances of approval as our intent is to take the child there and apply PR sponsorship and not really for tourism purpose. If this is not approved, would it affect any future visa requests for my newborn in Canada including His PR visa when we sponsor later?
    • Having said that we only have time till e/o June 2021 in UK, is TRV the best route we could follow to take the newborn directly to Canada from UK or would you suggest any other route?
Suggestion Received so far

From ‘Armoured’:
  • Post1- Apply for TRV. You can see if there is some kind of request for urgent processing. Ignore the 427 days, many of not most TRV apps were not being processed at all so the numbers tell you little.
  • Post2 - No, it won't negatively affect future applications. The biggest constraint is time, no idea how long a TRV app might take you for your child. So you may need to make alternative plans.
Truly grateful to ‘Armoured’ for giving quick suggestion to me!

Follow up Questions I have: (New-born TRV)

1. Would applying TRV in Person (Paper based), along with a cover letter requesting for expedited service, make any difference than applying online in London VFS?
  2. My wife and I have USA tourist visa and a travel history in USA, UK and Canada. Does that help my new-born TRV request qualify to be processed under CAN+?
  3. Our UK work permit visa expires by e/o June 2021. Assuming TRV request gets picked for processing before then, would our temporary status & less available visa duration in UK have any negative impact in getting TRV approved for new-born?
  4. If we apply TRV in UK and if a decision on that is not made before our UK visa expires and we are to leave India, could we transfer the already submitted TRV application from UK to India? Due to current covid19 situation in India, VFS offices may have been closed and hence trying my luck to at least get the biometrics completed in UK before going to India. Is that feasible and suggested?
  5. Be it processing TRV in UK or India, during this covid times, do they request passport for stamping the visa or just issue approval letter using which we could travel Canada?
  6. If we are lucky enough to get TRV approved for the new-born, I believe the baby could travel (assuming no flight ban) with us to Canada (both parents are PR card holders) without need for any special authorization?
  7. Any tips or advise on how to increase chances of new-born TRV approved as the intent is dual (travel on TRV and then get PR sponsorship from parents)
Many thanks in advance for taking your valuable time to read through my case and providing your valuable suggestions!

Thanks!
1. I don't know the answer to this question.
2. Your child does not qualify for CAN+
3. It's possible this could weaken the application. There's really nothing you can do about that.
4. Yes, you can transfer.
5. Yes, passport is requested.
6. Correct, no authorization required.
7. I'm not aware of anything but hopefully others will comment.

I would submit the application as soon as you possibly can. You are extremely short on time if you want to try to get the TRV processed before you UK visa expires.

can_asp

May 15, 2021
Thanks again ‘Armoured’ for your quick and detailed response!

Respectfully, does it matter at this point? Whatever the chances are, does it help you to know whether it's 20% or 45%? The reality is the reality, and the reality is you need a concrete response to your specific visa application, not a probability. (For the record, USA/UK visas and work experience probably help; too many unknowns to know whether that matters. Your degree of establishment in Canada might be more important, for example - ie if you could make a concrete argument you are 'returning' to Canada. Plus other factors I can't guess at.)
That makes sense! When I do not have a choice, no point in getting to predict the success percentage and instead focus on making the request stronger to gain the confidence of the VO. In the process of submitting request, should I require any further clarification, I shall post here.

Generally they can insert the visa anywhere where a visa office is functioning. It can be a bit time-consuming if offices (incl VFS offices) do not know what to do, but if you get the passport request to insert the visa, should be possible anywhere.
There are no biometrics taken for children under 14.
Good to know. In that case, I will go ahead and submit TRV request from UK itself and if I could not get a decision before my UK Visa end date, I shall continue the processing from India/wherever I move to(and hope the Visa offices open soon after pandemic!). In such case, Would I be required to inform IRCC that my residence country is getting changed while the TRV application is under process?

It may be worth trying to see if an MP's office could help but I have no idea whether this would actually be effective. Argument is mainly to consider your application urgently because you can all travel to Canada from UK but back and forth to India may be almost impossible due to flight bans. (There may be other arguments).
Sure. Thank You for the suggestion. I was not knowing this option of contacting MP; May I please confirm if below is how I could get the MP’s contact details?
For records, I believe they are best contacted via email instead of telephone (not even sure if they entertain telephone request!)?

Also, I believe it is best to contact them after the TRV application is submitted with application reference number or not sure if it will make any difference if I approach them before hand for suggestions?

If you have active visas valid elsewhere (eg usa or schengen), possible that going through one of those may be preferable. But honestly no idea. Possiblity you may get 'stuck' somewhere for a while if you try that.
Good luck.
My wife and I do have valid USA tourist visa but not the newborn. I believe it might be equally challenging to get USA tourist visa for newborn during this pandemic also considering the less time I have. But that’s a great idea.

Thank You!

can_asp

May 15, 2021
1. I don't know the answer to this question.
2. Your child does not qualify for CAN+
3. It's possible this could weaken the application. There's really nothing you can do about that.
4. Yes, you can transfer.
5. Yes, passport is requested.
6. Correct, no authorization required.
7. I'm not aware of anything but hopefully others will comment.

I would submit the application as soon as you possibly can. You are extremely short on time if you want to try to get the TRV processed before you UK visa expires.
Thank You scylla for taking your time and providing suggestions!

Sure, I shall submit the TRV application ASAP and post here for advice if I require additional clarifications!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
In such case, Would I be required to inform IRCC that my residence country is getting changed while the TRV application is under process?
Honestly don't know.

Also, I believe it is best to contact them after the TRV application is submitted with application reference number or not sure if it will make any difference if I approach them before hand for suggestions?
Yes, contact MP as you described above. I presume they wouldn't be able to do much before you apply, but if you want to contact them before, I don't know; I doubt they'd be able to give advice in advance, but your decision whether to try.

can_asp

May 15, 2021
Honestly don't know.

Yes, contact MP as you described above. I presume they wouldn't be able to do much before you apply, but if you want to contact them before, I don't know; I doubt they'd be able to give advice in advance, but your decision whether to try.
Sure, Thanks Armoured!

@scylla - By any chance do you know if I would be required to inform IRCC if my residence country changes while TRV application for my child is in progress?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Honestly don't know.

They don’t actually have an MP so not sure if any MP will be willing to inquire on their behalf.

• Sad

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
They don’t actually have an MP so not sure if any MP will be willing to inquire on their behalf.
It's true but they can try, up to the MP's office whether they will attempt to assist. In my experience MP's offices are not that picky if there is some connection to the riding, but may have just been lucky.

Of course not clear whether an MP's office inquiry/intervention would help anyway.

can_asp

May 15, 2021
Thank You armoured,scylla & canuck78 for your help thus far..

I have confirmed with VFS that Passport(for stamping, if requested) too could be submitted to any nearest VAC and that the applicant is charged if passport is not submitted at the same VAC where biometrics is provided. Anyways in my case biometrics is not applicable since applicant is under 14. London VAC is still not open for 'Apply in person' option and request has to be made online only.

I have few questions WRT submitting the TRV application online for newborn(Note: Parents PR holders living outside Canada for now). Below is how I am submitting my request. Kindly advise if any changes are recommended:
  1. As advised by IRCC here, I have created a separate GCKey account for my dependent child instead of using my own account.
  2. How long are you planning to stay in Canada? Temporarily - less than 6 months
  3. Do you want to submit an application for a family member? No (Since parents already have a PR card)
  4. Do you have a family member who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and is 18 years or older? Yes
    • Invitation Letter (required) is requested. Since I am not in Canada at the moment, I believe I have no choice but to to still submit invitation letter?
  5. What would you like to do in Canada? Visit
  6. What is the main purpose of your visit? Other
    • Would you suggest I choose 'To visit family and/or friends' instead? In that case, I am expected to submit additional documents like itinerary, flight ticket etc. so to avoid, I kept as 'Other'. Is that fine?
  7. Are you giving someone access to your application? No
    • Should I mention as 'Yes' and mention one of the parents as Representative since the applicant is a minor?