+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRP ???

Salahuddin

Feb 19, 2009
Hello everybody

I have posted a thread earlier on, explaining that I wasn't allowed to enter Canada last month. I need to have a civil marriage done either in UK as I am a british citizen or in Canada becuase my partner is a canadian national. It is difficult to get married in UK because to do the civil marriage here in UK he will have to take atleast 4 weeks off from work which is not possible for him.

I have been asked to leave Canada (at toronto airport) last month when I came to do the civil marriage. We are already married (religious marriage 'Nikkah') but it is not a valid marriage according to the immigration law.

In the light of all this information, is it advisable to go back to Canada and apply for a Temporary Resident Permitat the airport? As it is me who wants to move out to my partner's country? I do not hold any criminal record nor does my partner. He has a job in Toronto and has his own house on mortgage. I am not working currently because I wanted to sort my civil marriage and then come back to UK and wait for my PR process to be initiated by my husband. So if I explain all this to the immigration authorities when I arrive at Toronto Airport, do you think I will be allowed a TRP? Should I have a lawyer ready at the airport to deal with it? Or should I apply for a TRP from here in UK?

I am just confused as to what should be my next step? WE really need to tie the knot leagally in order to initiate the sponsrship process. But we are so confused as we don't know where to start from? Please help. I cant bear to stay away from him, its making me so miserable each day.

Regards

Umm-e-Salahuddin

boujasim

Nov 12, 2008
as far as i know religious marriage is legal, isnt it legal in the UK? if it is then it is legal anywhere else

Salahuddin

Feb 19, 2009
No BOjasim it isnt a valid marriage here in UK, to be classified as a married couple u need to have a civil marriage done according to the Law here.

boujasim

Nov 12, 2008
aha, then why doesnt ur husband come to the UK and have the civil marriage? since uve been deported i dont recomend u to go to canada again,they will deport u again and it will make u look really bad infront of the immigration.

Salahuddin

Feb 19, 2009
Hello Boujasim as i said earlier, he can't come over to UK for the civil marriage. It takes a month to get married in the UK and you have to stay in UK for atleast 4 weeks to get the civil marriage done.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Salahuddin:

I don't think anyone is making fun of you -- just perhaps trying to lighten the situation a little.

Unfortunately, I think your only chance is for your partner to go to the UK. There is no way for you to begin the sponsorship process unless you are legally married (unless of course you meet the requirements for common-law which it doesn't sound like you do). I'm not an expert, but given that you were already asked to leave Canada, I think the chances of you getting a TRP are very slim indeed. Besides, it's not that your partner can't go to the UK to marry you, but that it's difficult for him. Not the same thing. I think pretty much everyone here has had to make huge sacrifices to be with their spouse. If he can't take the time now, then you will have to wait until he is able to. Perhaps consider a leave of absence? Do some overtime to accumulate more vacation time? And while I think it would be a last resort, he can always leave his job. Anyway, I'm sure it's not quite so impossible as you say -- just be willing to change your thinking about it a little or to take some more time to do things properly. I realize that's disappointing but doing things right will really be in your best interst in the long run. Good luck.