+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRP Success due to DUI for a Cruise with timeline.

Dec 28, 2023
For all those searching for answers about Canada & a past DUI… I just went through this process so I thought I’d share my experience.

I am a US citizen trying to cruise from Seward, Alaska ending in Vancouver, Canada.

I got my DUI only 8 months before trying to enter Canada via a cruise ending in Vancouver. I had an otherwise clean record.

I looked into using a lawyer but the lawyers charge $2k+ and I felt that was a scam. Spoiler alert… it is!

I chose to wait until all my legal stipulations, community service, dui driving prevention course, and the likes were completed. I also waited until my license was reinstated. So I only was able to apply 3 months prior to the trip. There’s tons of misinformation out there, especially from lawyers trying to make money on your anxiety. Everywhere said it takes 6 months to a year to get approval. NOT TRUE from my experience & all those experiences I have since read about on there. It seems you get your approval 1-2 days before you leave, regardless of when you send it. I’d still send it ASAP but it seems it’s more about your trip date than anything else

You will need to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit. I have included the official link to it. You print the paperwork out, INCLUDING THE CHECKLIST which you send with the paperwork. Fill out the paperwork, get an FBI background check via the link on the checklist, get documents from the courts of the town where the offense was committed showing the arrest, charges, verdict, etc. You send two passport photos. You get a bunch of character reference letters, definitely include your boss. They’re looking for proof that you won’t try to stay in Canada. So proof of work, friends, family, children back home helps. You also provide marriage license & birth certificates of your children. Basically, you’re providing a ton of paperwork but all relatively easy to obtain yourself. You also write up the events of your arrest & the reason you feel you should be allowed to enter Canada. Most annoying, you have to list every place of employment with addresses since you were 18 and every place you’ve lived since 18. You cannot leave any gaps. You also must use the link on the checklist to pay the $200 fee & then print the receipt of payment to send. All these requirements are listed on the checklist.

Once it’s finished, you mail it with a tracking number to the office in California. You only send it to the NY office if it’s past 5 years & you’re looking to be rehabilitated- which clears it for life so you can go back to entering Canada freely.

I sent it in April. You hear absolutely nothing from them, that’s why the tracking is important for your peace of mind knowing that they received it. I also chose to make them sign for it for extra peace of mind. Also, there is no way to contact anyone in any way on this. They won’t talk to you on the phone. They won’t email you back. Complete radio silence that will drive you insane.

Finally, one week before the trip I got an email that my application was received and was now under review. Took 3 months of radio silence to finally get that email. A week later, the literal day before I am leaving on the trip I got the approval email which needs to be presented when you cross the border.

The approval email states that you must bring two passport pictures with you which is annoying since we sent them as instructed. We didn’t want to take any chances so I went & got two more pictures to bring.

I think that covers everything. Happy to answer whatever questions I can.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5256-applying-visitor-visa-temporary-resident-visa.html

Chairman951

May 29, 2023
Hi, how long did it take from the submission of your application to get a response? And did you send it by mail? Sorry, I'm in canada right now and going through the same process, i have gotten my AOR(notification that they received my application) through my immigration consultant, but its been quiet since then.