+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tricky family size calculation

info_seeker

Jul 7, 2016
I am planning to sponsor parents to come to Canada in 2017. My baby was born in 2015. Then current family size is 5. (everyone included) So when filling out the IMM5768 form, should my family size be count as 4 for 2013 and 2014 and then 5 for 2015?
There is only one slot on the form to show "Total Number of persons". This is very confusing. Some clarification will be very appreciated.

Reactions: dsingh72

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Not tricky at all - very straight forward.

Your family size is 5 for all three years.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Yes, family size for all 3 preceding years (2013, 2014, 2015) will be based solely on family size as of date of application (January 3, 2017)

dsingh72

Dec 29, 2016
Not tricky at all - very straight forward.

Your family size is 5 for all three years.
I am into same sort of situation. I have only 14 days left to file my mother's PR. I am self employed and I have been filing taxes assuming that my family size should be 2 to invite my mother. Recetly, I got married. If I write my current family size 3 they will reject my mother's PR file right way.

If I mention family size 2 then they will start working on my mother's file. But when my wife PR file goes in, they might figure that out and reject my mother's file.

Or I can file my mother's PR before deadline mentioning my family size 2 and immediately file more taxes for previous years, and then send them a letter mentioning that now my family size is 3 and I also have new NOA for family size 3.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am into same sort of situation. I have only 14 days left to file my mother's PR. I am self employed and I have been filing taxes assuming that my family size should be 2 to invite my mother. Recetly, I got married. If I write my current family size 3 they will reject my mother's PR file right way.

If I mention family size 2 then they will start working on my mother's file. But when my wife PR file goes in, they might figure that out and reject my mother's file.

Or I can file my mother's PR before deadline mentioning my family size 2 and immediately file more taxes for previous years, and then send them a letter mentioning that now my family size is 3 and I also have new NOA for family size 3.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you!
Definitely do not file with a family size of 2. Definitely file with a family size of 3. You don't want to end up in a situation where IRCC is reviewing your application for possible misrepresentation. You would need to hide the fact you are married to say that family size is 2. Do not go down the path of lying in your application. That will create bigger problems than you already have.

File with a family size of 3. Tell them you are redoing your NOA. And then hope you can get that done quickly enough to keep the application open.

• Love
Reactions: dsingh72 and YVR123

dsingh72

Dec 29, 2016
Definitely do not file with a family size of 2. Definitely file with a family size of 3. You don't want to end up in a situation where IRCC is reviewing your application for possible misrepresentation. You would need to hide the fact you are married to say that family size is 2. Do not go down the path of lying in your application. That will create bigger problems than you already have.

File with a family size of 3. Tell them you are redoing your NOA. And then hope you can get that done quickly enough to keep the application open.
Thank you sooo much Scylla !!!

Do I've to redo all 3 year's NOAs to match family size 3? I forgot to add, my foreigner wife has no status/record in Canada yet. Also she's not dependent on me. When, I showed interest of parent sponsorship in2020 my family size was 2 though! Does that make any difference?

Does that means, whenever family size increases (while my parent application is in process) I need to redo my NOAs (to match current family size)? In this case, do we have to inform IRRC by a letter/message about every size increase and updated NOAs?

Again Thanks a lot Scyllya <3 You're life saver!

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thank you sooo much Scylla !!!

Do I've to redo all 3 year's NOAs to match family size 3? I forgot to add, my foreigner wife has no status/record in Canada yet. Also she's not dependent on me. When, I showed interest of parent sponsorship in2020 my family size was 2 though! Does that make any difference?

Does that means, whenever family size increases (while my parent application is in process) I need to redo my NOAs (to match current family size)? In this case, do we have to inform IRRC by a letter/message about every size increase and updated NOAs?

Again Thanks a lot Scyllya <3 You're life saver!
This is not tricky. Your wife is part of your family (and added to the size) regardless of where she is or what immigration status she has.
Your NOA should reflect the ACTUAL income of yours in all years. It should not change according to your "need" to show income.

The only "tricky" part is that you want to change your income according to your need to show official. Your change may or may not trigger an audit of your previous tax returns. (we do not know) And if you are increasing income from paying more to your personal salary from the business, you need to understand that you should be paid a similar amount in the future unless things really goes downhill on your business.

dsingh72

Dec 29, 2016
This is not tricky. Your wife is part of your family (and added to the size) regardless of where she is or what immigration status she has.
Your NOA should reflect the ACTUAL income of yours in all years. It should not change according to your "need" to show income.

The only "tricky" part is that you want to change your income according to your need to show official. Your change may or may not trigger an audit of your previous tax returns. (we do not know) And if you are increasing income from paying more to your personal salary from the business, you need to understand that you should be paid a similar amount in the future unless things really goes downhill on your business.
Thank you VYR123.

Yes, I understand your point. My wife is helping me financially on tax matter. When she move to Canada our Canadian household income will almost double; then there will be no problem for coming years.

Today, I refiled my taxes. Do you guys know, how many days CRA takes to updated NOAs online? I've 10 days left to submit my mother's application.

If I don't get NOA what would be other alternates for a self-employed?

Again thank you! :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you VYR123.

Yes, I understand your point. My wife is helping me financially on tax matter. When she move to Canada our Canadian household income will almost double; then there will be no problem for coming years.

Today, I refiled my taxes. Do you guys know, how many days CRA takes to updated NOAs online? I've 10 days left to submit my mother's application.

NOAs don’t always immediately get approved by computer. Some require a review so it is impossible to say when you will have access to new NOA.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Thank you VYR123.

Processing time
two weeks, when you request an adjustment online.
eight weeks, when you file a paper adjustment request.

As noted T1-Adjustments aren’t automatically assessed thru a system . It’s there’s a issue, the system will kick it out to a department that will have to either do the adjustment manually or contact you for clarification
Adjustment requests are just that ; requests. They are not automatically approved. As well higher income will adjust any benefits and or credits you may have received in those years , potentially resulting in an overpayment which will have to be paid back . If income came from a business example corporation. You’d have to adjust your T2 to reflect that .

Last edited: