+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling to the US by Land without PR Card

catdoggo123

Feb 20, 2022
Hi all I would like to ask, can I travel outside and reenter Canada by private vehicle? I’m still waiting for my PR card, GCkey says it’s already been mailed on Nov. 7th but my boyfriend and I would like to cross the border on land via our car for his birthday on the 13th. I’m not sure if my PR card will arrive by then. Would appreciate your responses. Thank you!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all I would like to ask, can I travel outside and reenter Canada by private vehicle? I’m still waiting for my PR card, GCkey says it’s already been mailed on Nov. 7th but my boyfriend and I would like to cross the border on land via our car for his birthday on the 13th. I’m not sure if my PR card will arrive by then. Would appreciate your responses. Thank you!
Yes, you can.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Do you have a US visa?

I ask this because, unless the rules have changed, anyone who requires a visa to travel to US will still need a visa. Being a Canadian PR won't open the door. So, while @steaky is right about getting back into Canada, the difficulty for you might be with entering the US.

catdoggo123

Feb 20, 2022
Do you have a US visa?

I ask this because, unless the rules have changed, anyone who requires a visa to travel to US will still need a visa. Being a Canadian PR won't open the door. So, while @steaky is right about getting back into Canada, the difficulty for you might be with entering the US.
Yes I have a valid US visa, I know that only citizens are exempted. My worry is if I can return to Canada without my PR card but that question has been answered. Thank you though

blay

Nov 19, 2023
Yes I have a valid US visa, I know that only citizens are exempted. My worry is if I can return to Canada without my PR card but that question has been answered. Thank you though
Hi @catdoggo123, were you able to confirm it is possible to re-enter by land with a valid US visa and passport?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi @catdoggo123, were you able to confirm it is possible to re-enter by land with a valid US visa and passport?
Not clear what you're asking.

Re-entering CANADA does not require a US visa or passport. It requires a valid passport and PR status, whether documented by PR card, expired PR card, some other document like copy of COPR, or even - although not recommended - just some identifying ID that will allow CBSA to look up your PR status on computer.

How you get into the USA is between you and the Americans.

Reactions: blay

blay

Nov 19, 2023
Not clear what you're asking.

Re-entering CANADA does not require a US visa or passport. It requires a valid passport and PR status, whether documented by PR card, expired PR card, some other document like copy of COPR, or even - although not recommended - just some identifying ID that will allow CBSA to look up your PR status on computer.

How you get into the USA is between you and the Americans.
What I am trying to find out is, if I am arriving on land via the land border from the US, is it true that I can enter with just eCOPR document and my passport?

catdoggo123

Feb 20, 2022
What I am trying to find out is, if I am arriving on land via the land border from the US, is it true that I can enter with just eCOPR document and my passport?
If you are travelling via private vehicle on land then yes you can us your eCOPR and passport to return to Canada. I called CBSA to confirm this. Although it is highly advisable to have your PR card with you if you already have one

Reactions: blay and armoured

blay

Nov 19, 2023
If you are travelling via private vehicle on land then yes you can us your eCOPR and passport to return to Canada. I called CBSA to confirm this. Although it is highly advisable to have your PR card with you if you already have one
I appreciate the clarification. This helped!