+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling to India right after Oath

sajjarapu

Star Member
May 12, 2017
Hi All,

I am in a weird situation. I was waiting for an update all these months, and just came to India 1 week ago with my 10 month old baby as my parents haven't seen her yet. I gave up all hopes on the update and came here. And yesterday to my surprise I got my LPP completed. I was thinking of travelling to Canada for Oath alone (without the baby) and go back to India in 2-3 days, I do not want to strain her with the travel, and Jet lag in such short duration. And my parents are old and unwell, so I want to be here for a couple months and take care of them, get health checks ups and all.

What options do you think I have in terms of collecting my Certificate.
- My husband can pick up the certificate for me from the mailbox, and I can apply for a canadian passport after coming back. ( I'll make sure Ill come back before 3 months grace period of Indian passport)
- Or I request the officer to approve a personal pick up of certificate and leave right after.

Do you think my reason shall be entertained by the officers based on any of your experiences ?
Does any of you have any other ways it worked for you ??

Any suggestions welcome.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Hi All,

I am in a weird situation. I was waiting for an update all these months, and just came to India 1 week ago with my 10 month old baby as my parents haven't seen her yet. I gave up all hopes on the update and came here. And yesterday to my surprise I got my LPP completed. I was thinking of travelling to Canada for Oath alone (without the baby) and go back to India in 2-3 days, I do not want to strain her with the travel, and Jet lag in such short duration. And my parents are old and unwell, so I want to be here for a couple months and take care of them, get health checks ups and all.

What options do you think I have in terms of collecting my Certificate.
- My husband can pick up the certificate for me from the mailbox, and I can apply for a canadian passport after coming back. ( I'll make sure Ill come back before 3 months grace period of Indian passport)
- Or I request the officer to approve a personal pick up of certificate and leave right after.

Do you think my reason shall be entertained by the officers based on any of your experiences ?
Does any of you have any other ways it worked for you ??

Any suggestions welcome.
If it's an in-person oath, you get the certificate immediately, apply for a passport the next day, get it in two days, apply for an Indian e-visa, takes another couple of days and you are good to travel.

If you leave Canada after the oath, without a Canadian passport, you won't be ably to fly back directly on an Indian passport, as you won't have the PR card to show to the airline for checking in. If you have a US visa, you might be able to fly there and then drive to Canada - tedious but doable, not to mention the risk of a fine for travelling on your Indian passport after becoming Canadian.

For an online oath, you can always request; there is no guarantee of approval. Even though there have been exceptions reported, travel is usually not one of the reasons for expediting the certificate.

This 3 month grace period seems a myth because no one here has ever reported using it and then surrendering their Indian passport - without or without a penalty.

sajjarapu

Star Member
May 12, 2017
If it's an in-person oath, you get the certificate immediately, apply for a passport the next day, get it in two days, apply for an Indian e-visa, takes another couple of days and you are good to travel.

If you leave Canada after the oath, without a Canadian passport, you won't be ably to fly back directly on an Indian passport, as you won't have the PR card to show to the airline for checking in. If you have a US visa, you might be able to fly there and then drive to Canada - tedious but doable, not to mention the risk of a fine for travelling on your Indian passport after becoming Canadian.

For an online oath, you can always request; there is no guarantee of approval. Even though there have been exceptions reported, travel is usually not one of the reasons for expediting the certificate.

This 3 month grace period seems a myth because no one here has ever reported using it and then surrendering their Indian passport - without or without a penalty.
Thank you,

But isnt the indian passport valid to travel upto 3 months after acquiring foreign citizenship ?

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
Thank you,

But isnt the indian passport valid to travel upto 3 months after acquiring foreign citizenship ?
Officially per Indian Citizenship Act 1955 - it provides for automatic loss of citizenship the moment you voluntarily take citizenship of another country. So, you are no longer a Citizen of India the moment you take Canadian Oath of citizenship and with that you lose any entitlement to use the Indian passport. We don't have a lot of examples who have used this regulation and travelled within the 3 month exemption. It's still risky business... Especially for you to be able to get an exit visa from India on an Indian Passport and no PR card

You can apply for an urgent Canadian Passport once you get your certificate. Once you have your passport, you can apply for an e-visa.

Note: If you enter India on a visitor (evisa/tourist class visa) you may not be able to apply for OCI card within India or extend your stay. Make sure you research all of this before you head back to India or you will be unable to get leave to indefinitely remain in India and must leave at the end of your visa terms.