+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling to Canada by car with expired pr card

maxinnz

Sep 9, 2024
You don't need VoS. You can re-enter through a land border with an expired PR card / landing papers. If you do not meet RO, there is of course a chance you will be reported. However you will be allowed in regardless.
Thanks. That's what I understand. I know I cannot rely too much on the experience or views of other people when it comes to things serious, but just curious – how big is the chance of reporting in such a case (RO not met)?

Last edited:

maxinnz

Sep 9, 2024
Someone who has an expired PR card and/or is not in compliance with the RO no longer has a 'valid' landing paper - but neither does it ever expire, once landed. After landing, the (signed, dated by CBSA) COPR is a record of landing. An historical document.

It does help establish that the individual was a PR, and therefore probably still one (not that many actually lose PR status), and provides the info necessary to look the person up in the CBSA/IRCC databases. (There are some much older records of individuals that may not be in the databases, but by now fairly rare).

So if the individual has that doc, and the databases don't show that the individual lost PR status (renounced/revoked), all that remains is for the individual to provide reasonable identification (that they are the person in the COPR/landing record). That basically meets any reasonable standard for demonstrating that one is a PR - and shall be admitted.

Granted, they might ask lots of questions of someone not in the databases (esp if PR file very old, since likely means very out of compliance) and spend some time confirming identity.
Makes good sense. It was my misunderstanding that the landing paper had an expiry date; it does not. The expiry date is that of the referenced travel document of the person, not of the landing paper. You are exactly right; it's only a historical document, evidence of what happened at the moment of landing.
Thanks.

maxinnz

Sep 9, 2024
The distinction you make about 'after' entry is meaningless, the interviewing and report happens at the port of entry.
Good to know. Thanks. That makes sense.
A weird question, if the officer decides to report, is there a chance of him or her not proceeding with the reporting, if you choose not to enter Canada, because of seeing that you are going to be reported?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Good to know. Thanks. That makes sense.
A weird question, if the officer decides to report, is there a chance of him or her not proceeding with the reporting, if you choose not to enter Canada, because of seeing that you are going to be reported?
I don't know.

If they did, I doubt it would help much, because officer would likely make a note to file that would result in the report being written up the next time.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Makes good sense. It was my misunderstanding that the landing paper had an expiry date; it does not. The expiry date is that of the referenced travel document of the person, not of the landing paper. You are exactly right; it's only a historical document, evidence of what happened at the moment of landing.
Thanks.
The COPR does actually have an expiry date, which is simply the last date possible for the PR-applicant to land. But after it's signed and dated by CBSA, it no longer has a validity/expiry of any significance.

Reactions: maxinnz

maxinnz

Sep 9, 2024
I don't know.

If they did, I doubt it would help much, because officer would likely make a note to file that would result in the report being written up the next time.
Fair enough. That's a weird enough question; I suspect even their operational manual (if there is such a thing) would probably not cover such a scenario.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks. That's what I understand. I know I cannot rely too much on the experience or views of other people when it comes to things serious, but just curious – how big is the chance of reporting in such a case (RO not met)?
That's impossible to say.

maxinnz

Sep 9, 2024
So what naturally follows is, would someone like to share their experience of entering Canada thru private means of transport, with an expired PR card (but retaining PR status), without RO met, and even better (or worse), the officer initiated the reporting (or such experience of people that you know)?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So what naturally follows is, would someone like to share their experience of entering Canada thru private means of transport, with an expired PR card (but retaining PR status), without RO met, and even better (or worse), the officer initiated the reporting (or such experience of people that you know)?
This happens the time. Often also comes down to luck whether you get reported or not.

maxinnz

Sep 9, 2024
Just so to make this discussion thread more complete and more exhaustive, another question.

What would happen if —
Your PR card has expired;
You’ve not met RO;
You enter Canada with private vehicle;
The travel document noted on your landing paper (e.g. passport) has expired and has been renewed (you now have your new passport as your valid document as well as the old one along with your landing paper)?

Will you be granted entry?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The travel document noted on your landing paper (e.g. passport) has expired and has been renewed (you now have your new passport as your valid document as well as the old one along with your landing paper)?

No different from scenarios above, as long as they can determine that you-are-you. In this case, only question being whether they've some reason to think you're a different person / that new passport is not you (the PR). Date of birth, nationality and other basic biodata usually enough.

Not usually an issue. Easily solved by having a photocopy of the expired passport's bio page (even though usually not necessary, not a bad idea to have it).

The rare exceptions might be someone who's changed their name (without documentation of such) or no longer resembles the photos they have on hand at all. Or someone who's docs are flagged in the system for some significant reason.

Reactions: maxinnz and Besram

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
Just so to make this discussion thread more complete and more exhaustive, another question.

What would happen if —
Your PR card has expired;
You’ve not met RO;
You enter Canada with private vehicle;

It doesn't matter which documents you show, as long as they can positively establish you are a PR by looking you up in their system, you will be admitted.

But as mentioned, you are at risk of being reported for failing to meet the RO. Even if you are reported, you will still be let into the country but a removal order will be issued, which is not enforceable for a certain amount of time (cannot recall right now if it is 30 or 60 days).

You can then decide if you want to appeal during this timeframe. If you do, you can remain in Canada until your appeal is decided - usually takes months. During this time, you will still be considered a PR, which means you can work.

If you don't appeal, you have to leave Canada within the timeframe mentioned on the removal order.

maxinnz

Sep 9, 2024
Thanks to the above two posts. All makes good sense. Specifically I guess what was in my mind is, would you be required to apply for a change to your landing paper (to reflect your new passport)?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks to the above two posts. All makes good sense. Specifically I guess what was in my mind is, would you be required to apply for a change to your landing paper (to reflect your new passport)?
No. It's an expired landing paper.