+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling out of Canada for vacation soon after applying for citizenship

Maruchan

Star Member
Oct 9, 2016
Hello, I and my son will be applying for Canadian Citizenship soon. I am a daily commuter to US. We will be going on a long vacation for 5 months sabbatical soon after applying for citizenship. We live in Canada. We fulfill the 1095 day RO.

1- Since I am daily commuter to USA, should I work from home on the day of application and next day to prove I am in Canada on the day of application? Is there a requirement to bein Canada when applying to Canadian Citizenship?
2- Will this 5 month sabbatical affect our citizenship application?

Thanks,
Prasad.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello, I and my son will be applying for Canadian Citizenship soon. I am a daily commuter to US. We will be going on a long vacation for 5 months sabbatical soon after applying for citizenship. We live in Canada. We fulfill the 1095 day RO.

1- Since I am daily commuter to USA, should I work from home on the day of application and next day to prove I am in Canada on the day of application? Is there a requirement to bein Canada when applying to Canadian Citizenship?
2- Will this 5 month sabbatical affect our citizenship application?

Thanks,
Prasad.
1. Better to be in Canada when you apply for citizenship. You can leave after that.
2. Citizenship test you can give from outside Canada but Interview and Oath you need to be in Canada. So be prepared to be back when they ask you to.