+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling on Open Work Permit

MattBurnes

Oct 17, 2016
Does anyone have experience traveling in and out of Canada while being on an open work permit and waiting for their Spousal Sponsorship Application to get through? The OWP wont give me the right for reentry and I know its at the discretion of the border officer. We just have a 2 week reception in Mexico planned in the summer and we put in lot of money. I still have 8 days to switch over to visitor status before my implied status kicks in.

Any suggestionss/experiences? Change to visitor just to be on the safe side? Would I have to notify CIC about my change of status then?

Im German and am excempt from Visitor Visas for 90 days but I guess this wont apply to me anymore? :)

Matt

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
MattBurnes said:
Does anyone have experience traveling in and out of Canada while being on an open work permit and waiting for their Spousal Sponsorship Application to get through? The OWP wont give me the right for reentry and I know its at the discretion of the border officer. We just have a 2 week reception in Mexico planned in the summer and we put in lot of money. I still have 8 days to switch over to visitor status before my implied status kicks in.

Any suggestionss/experiences? Change to visitor just to be on the safe side? Would I have to notify CIC about my change of status then?

Im German and am excempt from Visitor Visas for 90 days but I guess this wont apply to me anymore? :)

Matt
I'm not sure why on earth you'd think switching to visitor status is a good idea, since you don't need a visa to enter the country. An OWP has nothing to do with a visa. People that are non-visa exempt still need a valid visa for entering Canada, and that doesn't apply to you.

Visa - Entry into Canada

OWP - Lets you work and also provides status when in Canada

Visitor record - Not a requirement for those who are visa-exempt but proof of valid status in Canada. Your status is cancelled when you leave the country. When the border officer lets you back in, it "resets".

As long as you have an ETA and proof of your PR application, you are fine. Though, you are technically not supposed to leave Canada when applying inland, but 2 weeks in Mexico isn't a big deal.

Edit: I just re-read what you said. Sorry, my reading comprehension goes down at night :) Your status document expires in 8 days is what you are saying? if they already received the app and you have AOR I wouldn't worry about the visitor status extension. Just bring proof you've applied (receipts are good, or AOR letter) for when you return.

If you don't have AOR, there's always a chance they could return your application and you'd be out of status. In that case you might want to renew your visitor status. If you are leaving before that, don't bother.

MattBurnes

Oct 17, 2016
yeah I already received an AOR a few weeks ago.

But they could still say there are docs missing and refuse the app, correct? Then I'd have to ask for restoration of status or could I simply leave the country for a minute and come back through my 90 waiver?

Edit: oh and yes, Im on work permit right now, but it expires in 8 days

Pitt1234

Star Member
Sep 28, 2016
I don't understand why you would take such a risk as converting to a visitor status, apply for an implied status during an inland sponsorship, and get out of the country. Technically, visa-exempt entry is for tourism. You may be exempt from visa, but that does not mean you are guaranteed an entry. If you try to enter as a visitor, you can still get by what is called "dual intent", but you will have to demonstrate to the border officer that you intend to leave after your visit is over.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/dual.asp

I think normally you may be Ok doing this. But if you catch a border officer in bad mood, he can mess you up! After all, you would have demonstrated him that you have an expired work permit, you are on implied status, you want to immigrate to Canada, but your current intention is to be a tourist and return back. This would be especially risky if you plan to work on implied status in Canada.

MattBurnes said:

Matt

MattBurnes

Oct 17, 2016
yeah, leaving on implied status is really just the worst case scenario but do you think travelling on an owp would be less risky?

km9203

Aug 9, 2015
Med's Done....
Sent with app
MattBurnes said:

Matt

Some people have travelled ok and others haven't. Be aware that if you are denied, your application will be deemed abandoned and cancelled. We didn't travel for two years as we didn't think the risk was worth it and I am a UK citizen.

Also, make sure you have an ETA, if you do decide to travel. Germany now requires one. It doesn't take long to get. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas-result.asp?country=DE&result=2&message=0&standard=2&q3=

MattBurnes

Oct 17, 2016
Thanks for all the replies.

Under normal circumstances I wouldn't travel and just wait for our application to go through but we spent a whole lot
of money on the reception. That was when CIC told us not to worry about traveling so we just went ahead with the planing.

@km9203
Have you actually heard of stories where people were denied entry while traveling on an OWP? If so, were they from a
visa exempt country?

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
MattBurnes said:
Thanks for all the replies.

Under normal circumstances I wouldn't travel and just wait for our application to go through but we spent a whole lot
of money on the reception. That was when CIC told us not to worry about traveling so we just went ahead with the planing.

@km9203
Have you actually heard of stories where people were denied entry while traveling on an OWP? If so, were they from a
visa exempt country?
Eh, unless you have criminality or misrepresented (lied) to the guard, the chances of you being denied entry are very low. If you aren't leaving till the summer, you should have the work permit by then. The way you described it is a bit confusing, like you already have a work permit.

Joha ru

Nov 28, 2019
Hello,
Popping up this thread :)
I have applied for inland spousal sponsorship.
I have received my owp. ( Unfortunately I have received an email but still don't haven't received the letter by mail)
I have an ETA.

Can I go to Berlin for 5 days and return to Canada?

What was the result with the Mexico reception case ?

Thanks allot!