+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling a week after start of classes

gabbi199823

Aug 14, 2022
Hi everyone,

Just received my approval recently thru SDS in the Philippines.

I just want to confirm if I am able to travel a week after my classes start (Sept. 6.). Airline prices have surged to unreasonable prices (+2000$) and most of the itineraries have layover in the US, which I doesn't have any visa. The only issue I'm having is that will my PGWP be affected? I am currently enrolled in a 8 month post graduate certificate in Seneca and my study permit is already approved. My classes are also flexible meaning I could attend classes online.

As I've read on IRCC website regarding PGWP, the minimum length of PGWP is 8months given that you've studied inside Canada, so if I'll attend online classes outside Canada for a week, am I ineligible then?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone,

I just want to confirm if I am able to travel a week after my classes start (Sept. 6.). Airline prices have surged to unreasonable prices (+2000$) and most of the itineraries have layover in the US, which I doesn't have any visa. The only issue I'm having is that will my PGWP be affected? I am currently enrolled in a 8 month post graduate certificate in Seneca and my study permit is already approved. My classes are also flexible meaning I could attend classes online.

As I've read on IRCC website regarding PGWP, the minimum length of PGWP is 8months given that you've studied inside Canada, so if I'll attend online classes outside Canada for a week, am I ineligible then?
The time outside Canada will not be counted so yes, it is possible that you will not be eligible. You will not know until you apply for PGWP. No one can tell you with 100% certainty as starting in Fall 2022 even online courses have to be completed in Canada. Ask your school international advisor.

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
Hi everyone,

This information is from IRCC's website:

All students who were enrolled in a PGWP-eligible program in progress in March 2020 or who started a program of study from spring 2020 up to and including the summer 2022 semester are not required to complete 50% of their program (or programs) of study in Canada. Up to 100% of their program can be completed online from outside Canada.

Time spent studying outside of Canada can be counted toward the overall length of the PGWP until August 31, 2022. Any time spent studying outside of Canada after August 31, 2022, should be deducted from the length of the PGWP.

Note: The minimum length of time a PGWP should be issued for is 8 months.

Here's the link: Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP): COVID-19 program delivery - Canada.ca

@ali@hus

Aug 13, 2022
This information is from IRCC's website:

All students who were enrolled in a PGWP-eligible program in progress in March 2020 or who started a program of study from spring 2020 up to and including the summer 2022 semester are not required to complete 50% of their program (or programs) of study in Canada. Up to 100% of their program can be completed online from outside Canada.

Time spent studying outside of Canada can be counted toward the overall length of the PGWP until August 31, 2022. Any time spent studying outside of Canada after August 31, 2022, should be deducted from the length of the PGWP.

Here's the link: Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP): COVID-19 program delivery - Canada.ca
Below is the updated one:

Full facilitation measures

• For students who were enrolled in a PGWP-eligible program in March 2020, or who started a program of study between March 2020 and August 31, 2022
    • Up to 100% of credits earned toward a program of study completed through a PGWP-eligible DLI in Canada can be earned from outside Canada until August 31, 2023, without the student losing their eligibility for a PGWP.
Reduced facilitation measures

• For students who started or will be starting a program of study between September 1, 2022, and August 31, 2023
    • At least 50% of credits earned toward a program of study completed through a PGWP-eligible DLI in Canada must be earned from within Canada for the international student to remain eligible for a PGWP.
    • Studies completed online from outside Canada through PGWP-eligible DLIs will not be deducted from the length of a future PGWP as long as they constitute less than 50% of the program of study.
Any time spent studying outside of Canada by a student after August 31, 2023, will be deducted from the length of the PGWP, regardless of when the student started or will start their program of study.

All other program criteria and requirements must be met.

Note: In cases where a study permit application is submitted before a program starts but is refused, if a subsequent study permit application is received before the end of the program and is eventually approved, the studies undertaken after the first study permit application was received by the department count toward the length of the PGWP.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/study-permit/pgwpp.html