+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveled to the US on my Nexus card for 2 days, but did not receive I-94. Is this a problem?

HamiltonApplicant

Apr 3, 2017
Hamilton
Visa Office......
Munich, Germany
App. Filed.......
Jan 2007
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010
Vicky, I understand that you've used your Nexus many times, but there is no such thing as "linking your I-94" to anything. An I-94 is now only issued if you cross by land. You make it sound like one is committing a crime by using the term "getting caught". People don't cross the border on their own, they get "admitted". The moment there is a slight problem with any aspect of your entry, CBP will stop you for an inspection, Nexus lane or not. The 6 month entry will count from the date of your last date of entry, regardless whether it was a stamp, I-94, or -in my case- neither.

Here's a good example that will interest you:

My most recent entry stamp is May 03 (so my stay would be until Nov 03). I stayed 1 night, came back, and flew to the US again on Jun 01. At YUL, for some reason CBP just didn't feel like stamping my passport. I asked for it but he said no need. I insisted by explaining that I needed a full 6 months to stay, and with an irritated tone he said "I just gave you 6 months". A few days later I checked my online entries and, indeed, the Jun 01 entry was there. My point is: whether you are entering using Nexus, Global Entry, Sentri, Fast, or EDL, they are admitting you based on the date they see in their database. Of course, glitches happen and they may ask for a hard copy every now and then, but that doesn't put you in a dire situation where you and Escobar are treated the same way. I cross twice a week using 2 bridges. When I cross way before sunrise and the only 1 regular lane is open, I have a quick chat with the same guy who's in the booth and I learn more about the process with each visit.
Few points:
1)If you fly to USA, paper i-94 is no longer issued
2)Last year, when I crossed the border, I was issued a paper i-94.

Let me describe my experience when I went to US with my family:
1)Some time in mid spring 2016, I crossed the border by land and was issued a paper i-94
2)Later in the spring, my spouse and kid flew to US and were not issued a paper i-94, just a stamp on the passport
3)In summer, all of us together went to the US by land
4)Officer was satisfied with my i-94, asked us to provide i-94 for the rest
5)We said we have electron i-94, he said it was not enough
6)Then we showed him the stamps on the passport and he let us through without forcing us to get new i-94s

It looks like there is no need to physically surrender i-94s. When you leave the country it is taken care electronically. Likewise new electronic i-94s get issued whenever required, hope this helps...

HamiltonApplicant

Apr 3, 2017
Hamilton
Visa Office......
Munich, Germany
App. Filed.......
Jan 2007
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010
Vicky, I understand that you've used your Nexus many times, but there is no such thing as "linking your I-94" to anything. An I-94 is now only issued if you cross by land. You make it sound like one is committing a crime by using the term "getting caught". People don't cross the border on their own, they get "admitted". The moment there is a slight problem with any aspect of your entry, CBP will stop you for an inspection, Nexus lane or not. The 6 month entry will count from the date of your last date of entry, regardless whether it was a stamp, I-94, or -in my case- neither.

Here's a good example that will interest you:

My most recent entry stamp is May 03 (so my stay would be until Nov 03). I stayed 1 night, came back, and flew to the US again on Jun 01. At YUL, for some reason CBP just didn't feel like stamping my passport. I asked for it but he said no need. I insisted by explaining that I needed a full 6 months to stay, and with an irritated tone he said "I just gave you 6 months". A few days later I checked my online entries and, indeed, the Jun 01 entry was there. My point is: whether you are entering using Nexus, Global Entry, Sentri, Fast, or EDL, they are admitting you based on the date they see in their database. Of course, glitches happen and they may ask for a hard copy every now and then, but that doesn't put you in a dire situation where you and Escobar are treated the same way. I cross twice a week using 2 bridges. When I cross way before sunrise and the only 1 regular lane is open, I have a quick chat with the same guy who's in the booth and I learn more about the process with each visit.
Few points:
1)If you fly to USA, paper i-94 is no longer issued
2)Last year, when I crossed the border, I was issued a paper i-94.

Let me describe my experience when I went to US with my family:
1)Some time in mid spring 2016, I crossed the border by land and was issued a paper i-94
2)Later in the spring, my spouse and kid flew to US and were not issued a paper i-94, just a stamp on the passport
3)In summer, all of us together went to the US by land
4)Officer was satisfied with my i-94, asked us to provide i-94 for the rest
5)We said we have electron i-94, he said it was not enough
6)Then we showed him the stamps on the passport and he let us through without forcing us to get new i-94s

It looks like there is no need to physically surrender i-94s. When you leave the country it is taken care electronically. Likewise new electronic i-94s get issued whenever required, hope this helps...

Alpina740

Jul 8, 2017
That was my whole point.

HamiltonApplicant

Apr 3, 2017
Hamilton
Visa Office......
Munich, Germany
App. Filed.......
Jan 2007
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010
That was my whole point.
Almost, but not entirely! Your statement "An I-94 is now only issued if you cross by land." is not entirely correct!
  1. If you cross the border by air, you will be issued an electronic i-94 which stays in the cloud, and you can retrieve if you prefer to have paper copy, Check the website https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/
  2. If you cross the border by land, they issue a paper i-94. Again, I did this almost an year ago, don't know latest status.
Purpose of i-94, is monitor whether or not a person from countries requiring visa overstay beyond the time limit sets, breaking which can still result in punitive actions

Vicky333

Star Member
Jun 19, 2017
When I talk about linking my I-94 I mean explicitly linked to my Nexus CARD.

Yes, I know you only get a physical I-94 card when crossing by land and an electronic one when at an airport. Both ways you are assigned a NUMBER that will last for 3 or 6 months (depending on your visa status).

When I get a new I-94, it is not automatically linked to my Nexus Card. My Nexus Card still holds the record of the old, expired I-94.

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
Thanks Vicky, Alpina for sharing...

So, since my electronic I-94 is valid till December, I hope I do not get pulled out of Nexus lane while driving into US in October.

Either way, I will stop by Nexus office here in Calgary and ask them to LINK my I-94. Lets see what they say - Hopefully they say there is nothing like linking I-94, but who knows. every agent is different.

HamiltonApplicant

Apr 3, 2017
Hamilton
Visa Office......
Munich, Germany
App. Filed.......
Jan 2007
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010
When I talk about linking my I-94 I mean explicitly linked to my Nexus CARD.

Yes, I know you only get a physical I-94 card when crossing by land and an electronic one when at an airport. Both ways you are assigned a NUMBER that will last for 3 or 6 months (depending on your visa status).

When I get a new I-94, it is not automatically linked to my Nexus Card. My Nexus Card still holds the record of the old, expired I-94.
I am planning to apply for Nexus card. Have you ever crossed the border by land with Nexus card with no i-94 attached to it? If yes, have they ever issued a paper i-94 to you?

Vicky333

Star Member
Jun 19, 2017
Have you ever crossed the border by land with Nexus card with no i-94 attached to it? If yes, have they ever issued a paper i-94 to you?
No. You always need to have an I-94.

It can be electronic or paper. The important point is that your Nexus card has that I-94 number linked to it.

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
No. You always need to have an I-94.

It can be electronic or paper. The important point is that your Nexus card has that I-94 number linked to it.
Since you have experienced it, Vicky, can this linking be done beforehand at an inland(calgary nexus office) Nexus as well or only when crossing border at border Nexus offices only?

Thanks again.

Vicky333

Star Member
Jun 19, 2017
Inland only. The Calgary Nexus Office will be the correct place to go.

Every time I have asked at the (land) Border to link it directly, I've been told that they don't have the capability there because it's not an official Nexus office.