+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel to Canada from US without a valid visa but with a valid Work permit

java218

Apr 3, 2012
Hi, I have a question about traveling back to US from Canada with a work permit. I tried to contact NYC consulate but got no response so far. I've had both successful and failed experience, so I guess it would be essential for me to get a written confirmation from immigration people for me to present to border staff..
--
Hi, I used to study in UBC, Canada. Shortly after graduation, I applied and got a postgraduate work permit, which will expire on Nov 30 this year. On Dec,2010, I left Vancouver for a postdoc fellowship in Boston, which is what I am doing now. Now my question is do i need a entry visa to visit Canada now.. I thought a valid entry visa is not required for me to travel back to Canada as long as I am having a valid work permit..actually I did that in 2011 by car to Montreal. However, when I tried to fly to Toronto in Sep 2010, i was refused by Air Canada staff and had to have my flight changed. Now, I am thinking about visiting a friend in Toronto again, preferentially via air, so i would like to clarify the requirement of an entry visa to accomplish my trip. It is worth noting that I am a Chinese citizen and don't have permanent residence in either Canada or USA, and I have been back to China for a short visit in past two years..
-
Any suggestion is appreciated, also if you have successfully reached them about this issue. please let me know how you contacted them. Thanks a lot

jenny12345

Mar 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I flew to the US and went back to Canada with no visa just my work permit. I asked this twice from immigration people in Calgary.They said it was fine. It is on the CIC website you don't need a visa if you're coming back from US or the other country (I forgot). I am from the Philippines so non visa -exempt.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Different scenario. The OP has left the US, s/he would have to apply for a visa. If s/he only exited to the US or St Pierre, Miguellon, then s/he can re enter Canada with the WP alone but having gone back to China, s/he needs a new TRV as a worker. Apply for a new TRV and attach your WP but a WP without an employer may be a weak supporting document. You can apply to come as a visitor; you have your studies as your tie with the US.

jenny12345 said:
I flew to the US and went back to Canada with no visa just my work permit. I asked this twice from immigration people in Calgary.They said it was fine. It is on the CIC website you don't need a visa if you're coming back from US or the other country (I forgot). I am from the Philippines so non visa -exempt.

jedhcds

Aug 2, 2013
App. Filed.......
06-06-2014
Med's Request
05-08-2014
Med's Done....
13-08-2014
jenny12345 said:

hi! what other documents do you need when you come back? did you need to show a letter from employer? or work permit only will be fine?

jenny12345

Mar 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
work permit only was fine. I had a letter from employer but he didnt ask for it. It only took 2 minutes.