+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

travel preparations - quarantine plan

Sadia06

Mar 25, 2020
Yeah i know but i'm not sure how to provide a quarantine plan or if it would be approved on not
i had the same confusion, I found out you first have to submit your quarantine plan to your uni for approval, after that they will send you a letter updating it has been approved but you will have to write your OWN quarantine plan with the exact same details you gave your uni since they won't mention the details but only that your plan has been approved. And then before travelling to Canada you download the ArriveCan app and submit your quarantine details there as well

azzamkc

Apr 2, 2019
Oman
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
Some universities are making quarantine arrangements by providing off campus accommodation plus 3 meals a day at a hotel for 14 days for their arriving students. So, to say it has to be individualised is not accurate for everybody.

Last edited:

jbdot0941

Jan 23, 2019
What would you suggest to tell the officer ?
You need not show them a plan. You need to give them your phone number, email ID if you've a local one or of the person where you're staying at.
they'll call to verify if you're still at the place you told that you would be.

azzamkc

Apr 2, 2019
Oman
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
You need not show them a plan. You need to give them your phone number, email ID if you've a local one or of the person where you're staying at.
they'll call to verify if you're still at the place you told that you would be.
Could you please confirm how you know this?

azzamkc

Apr 2, 2019
Oman
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
The IRCC and my university websites.
Awesome, can you share the link to where the IRCC gives details on what needs to be presented to the CBSA officer at the airport? I looked for this extensively but couldn't find it.

azzamkc

Apr 2, 2019
Oman
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
Awesome, can you share the link to where the IRCC gives details on what needs to be presented to the CBSA officer at the airport? I looked for this extensively but couldn't find it.
I actually just found this: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/2019-novel-coronavirus-information-sheet.html and this: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html#quarantine

Reactions: jbdot0941

okjaber

Star Member
Apr 11, 2020
Dude please let me know the name of this university.
I'll make sure I'll never join it. The lameity in those reasons is higher than burj khalifa
Here is the link:
https://www.ualberta.ca/international-student-services/travel-to-canada-during-covid/non-discretionary-travel-updates

The reasons aren’t lame. For example the time difference if was huge, forcing you to switch your day to night and vice versa, would be devastating and a threat to your overall health and wellbeing.

the website also states the following:
“When you enter Canada with a valid study permit or a POE Letter of Introduction that approves you for a study permit, your entry is now considered “non-discretionary” or “essential.” Therefore, an “Essential to Travel” letter is no longer required.

If you want additional documentation confirming that your studies in Canada are non-discretionary to a third party (airlines, border services), refer to the following processes:”

What I understood that you shouldn’t request for such documents to enter, unless third parties require it.

jbdot0941

Jan 23, 2019
Here is the link:
https://www.ualberta.ca/international-student-services/travel-to-canada-during-covid/non-discretionary-travel-updates

The reasons aren’t lame. For example the time difference if was huge, forcing you to switch your day to night and vice versa, would be devastating and a threat to your overall health and wellbeing.

the website also states the following:
“When you enter Canada with a valid study permit or a POE Letter of Introduction that approves you for a study permit, your entry is now considered “non-discretionary” or “essential.” Therefore, an “Essential to Travel” letter is no longer required.

If you want additional documentation confirming that your studies in Canada are non-discretionary to a third party (airlines, border services), refer to the following processes:”

What I understood that you shouldn’t request for such documents to enter, unless third parties require it.
You do know that most lectures dont last more than 2 hrs and a lot of them are recorded. The only thing is during examinations. Come on you're ready to work you back off in a different country (physical strain by working in part time jobs, cleaning house etc) but not stay awake for an extra hour or two ?
And those reasons are directed towards 'thesis' based programs (uAlberta has more thesis based than course).
So if you're from a thesis based program, I take my words back and apologize.

Reactions: okjaber

okjaber

Star Member
Apr 11, 2020
You do know that most lectures dont last more than 2 hrs and a lot of them are recorded. The only thing is during examinations. Come on you're ready to work you back off in a different country (physical strain by working in part time jobs, cleaning house etc) but not stay awake for an extra hour or two ?
And those reasons are directed towards 'thesis' based programs (uAlberta has more thesis based than course).
I got accepted to a Master of Science in civil engineering (with thesis of course) but my concentration is in management. I already contacted someone there, he says that every course has a minimum of 1 group project. And not all professors in this major record lectures and some take attendance. So the time difference is not only about the lectures themselves, it’s about getting to know your colleagues and your professors. Especially contacting them which becomes inefficient with a huge time difference and coordinating projects with a group of people is hard due to the difference in time (assuming I won’t start my thesis right away)

don’t apologise it’s fine, you can state your opinion as much as you want. Even I haven’t made a decision if I would travel now or not. I’m still trying to envision each scenario and the pros and cons for each.

You are right about working part time in the middle of the winter, but I’m not working now either and not that desperate to work during the first year. But surely staying home looks easier but on the long run I don’t know due to the quality of online learning and me being graduated 3 years ago and need some time to adapt to studying and taking quizzes and exams again.

Whofears

Oct 29, 2020

Permitted during quarantine:

In your place of quarantine you may:

• Live with family/friends who didn’t travel with you provided you have a separate bedroom and bathroom, if possible.
  • Use shared spaces such as a kitchen, provided you:
    • limit interactions with others in the household and wear a mask or face covering if a 2-m distance cannot be maintained;
    • thoroughly and regularly clean common areas after use.
  • Use private outdoor spaces (i.e. balcony).”

azzamkc

Apr 2, 2019
Oman
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
What you're saying is irrelevant. The update to travel restrictions is clear. If you have a Quarantine Plan, your DLI is on the all too famous list and you have a Study permit then your travel is deemed non-discretionary. Whether your classes are in person or online is no longer a factor. CBSA Officers have and always had the final say in letting you in or denying you entry. Unless we start hearing of students being turned away and sent back, we have to go with the actual text as detailed by IRCC.

jbdot0941

Jan 23, 2019
What you're saying is irrelevant. The update to travel restrictions is clear. If you have a Quarantine Plan, your DLI is on the all too famous list and you have a Study permit then your travel is deemed non-discretionary. Whether your classes are in person or online is no longer a factor. CBSA Officers have and always had the final say in letting you in or denying you entry. Unless we start hearing of students being turned away and sent back, we have to go with the actual text as detailed by IRCC.
Follow their rules and MAYBE get rejected because you followed them
Sounds fun.
and an applicant who spends about 15k CAD cannot afford and not have appropriate bandwidth.
Those guidelines and reasons were introduced keeping Iran, Syria and students from such countries where internet is limited or banned. A classmate of mine needs to use a VPN to access classes. A huge number of applicants in Canada are from such countries and choose a thesis based program.
A course based student who says they dont have proper internet or time difference if a joke.
I agree that the border officers say is final. The reasons dont work for everyone. Yeah maybe we should discuss more after we hear rejections from the July candidates, the bunch who received passport request

Last edited:

jbdot0941

Jan 23, 2019
I got accepted to a Master of Science in civil engineering (with thesis of course) but my concentration is in management. I already contacted someone there, he says that every course has a minimum of 1 group project. And not all professors in this major record lectures and some take attendance. So the time difference is not only about the lectures themselves, it’s about getting to know your colleagues and your professors. Especially contacting them which becomes inefficient with a huge time difference and coordinating projects with a group of people is hard due to the difference in time (assuming I won’t start my thesis right away)

don’t apologise it’s fine, you can state your opinion as much as you want. Even I haven’t made a decision if I would travel now or not. I’m still trying to envision each scenario and the pros and cons for each.

You are right about working part time in the middle of the winter, but I’m not working now either and not that desperate to work during the first year. But surely staying home looks easier but on the long run I don’t know due to the quality of online learning and me being graduated 3 years ago and need some time to adapt to studying and taking quizzes and exams again.
for someone who is studying part time, believe me it sucks. I never thought i would say this but i really want to go the lecture hall for some lectures.
And yes communication is bad and interacting is effected. But I've seen students being sent back for stating these reason.
Although I think you have a very solid one.

okjaber

Star Member
Apr 11, 2020
for someone who is studying part time, believe me it sucks. I never thought i would say this but i really want to go the lecture hall for some lectures.
And yes communication is bad and interacting is effected. But I've seen students being sent back for stating these reason.
Although I think you have a very solid one.
Are there people that were sent back?! Are you sure? Or that was before October 20?