+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel document needed in UK over Christmas?

EmmaBambi

Jan 27, 2015
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
24-06-2016
Interview........
17-8-2016
LANDED..........
17-8-2016
Hi,

I got my COPR on August 17th 2016. I have a trip home to England booked over christmas and new year. I have now learned I need this travel document to return to Canada. To be honest I think I should have received my PR card by now it has been over 3 months waiting.

I really do not want to send my original passport anywhere over christmas in the UK because my return flight is on Jan 5th and if I don't have my passport that $750 right down the pan that I aint gonna get back, so I'm a bit reluctant to send off my passport.

Just to confirm I am a new PR waiting for my first PR card.

Any and all advise is appreciated, Thanks.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
EmmaBambi said:
Hi,

I got my COPR on August 17th 2016. I have a trip home to England booked over christmas and new year. I have now learned I need this travel document to return to Canada. To be honest I think I should have received my PR card by now it has been over 3 months waiting.

I really do not want to send my original passport anywhere over christmas in the UK because my return flight is on Jan 5th and if I don't have my passport that $750 right down the pan that I aint gonna get back, so I'm a bit reluctant to send off my passport.

Just to confirm I am a new PR waiting for my first PR card.

Any and all advise is appreciated, Thanks.
Your options are limited since you can't board an airplane to Canada without a valid PR card or PR TD. Your only options are:
1. Hope your PR card comes and you can use it to return. If it comes while you're gone whoever receives it can courier it to you in UK.
2. Apply for PR TD in UK, and don't fly home until it's received. Not sure if you're close to a visa office in UK you can apply for and get PR TD in person instead of mailing.
3. Fly to USA and cross into Canada over land border

EmmaBambi

Jan 27, 2015
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
24-06-2016
Interview........
17-8-2016
LANDED..........
17-8-2016
Thanks, unfortunately the visa office is in London and I'm going to be in Manchester. If I got the train down there would it be likely be done in one day?

Also do you know roughly how long it take for the PR card to arrive since landing interview? My friends who have gone through the same process have gotten their cards within 8 weeks, and at my landing interview I was told I would receive my card within 8 weeks. It may have been lost in the post and honestly I just cannot get through to CIC on the phone it's always line too busy to put me through to an agent.

My parents are sick and not been home in 3 years, I just don't have time or money for this and I feel like this is CIC mess up not mine :(

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
EmmaBambi said:
Thanks, unfortunately the visa office is in London and I'm going to be in Manchester. If I got the train down there would it be likely be done in one day?
Would be quicker vs mailing your passport and TD app, but exactly how long I don't know. You'd need to contact the visa office directly or find someone that has dealt with them in person for a PR TD to see their experience.

Also do you know roughly how long it take for the PR card to arrive since landing interview? My friends who have gone through the same process have gotten their cards within 8 weeks, and at my landing interview I was told I would receive my card within 8 weeks. It may have been lost in the post and honestly I just cannot get through to CIC on the phone it's always line too busy to put me through to an agent.

My parents are sick and not been home in 3 years, I just don't have time or money for this and I feel like this is CIC mess up not mine :(
You're right, it should just be a couple months. After 3 months, most likely something has happened and you really need to contact CIC.

Unfortunately it doesn't matter the reason for travel or who's fault it is for not having the card in time, the options for traveling are the same as what I explained above.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Note, there is some possibility that an airlines will allow boarding despite the absence of clearance from CBSA, and despite not having the precise documents prescribed, which for PRs is either a valid PR card or a PR TD.

I absolutely DO NOT, repeat I DO NOT suggest let alone recommend relying on this possibility. But push comes to shove, a PR abroad might still have a chance to persuade the airlines to allow them to board a flight without presenting a PR card or PR TD.

This may seem, to some, inconsistent with cautions I have expressed in the past, but this is about probabilities and possibilities, and as much as I cautioned PRs about the possibility (a "significant risk" I described it) of strict enforcement of the rules for PRs before eTA was fully implemented, recently posted information by IRCC has revealed more about how the IAPI system works and the obligations of airlines. This information reveals that the airlines do, apparently, still have discretion to allow a traveler to board a flight notwithstanding the lack of boarding clearance from the IAPI system and failure to present the precise documents prescribed.

If I was a PR I certainly would not rely on possibly persuading the airlines to allow boarding. But, if the airlines do allow some exceptions, my guess is that the recently landed PR with a CoPR, trying to board a return flight to Canada, probably has about as good a chance as any PR would.

I go into more detail about this in another topic:

dpenabill said:
Possibility of Airline Exercising Some Flexibility?

This is an unknown.

Whether the protocols allow airlines some flexibility in the event of a "no-board" IAPI response is not clear. The many notices and cautions to PRs about the implementation of strict enforcement typically caution that PRs MAY be denied boarding if they do not present a valid PR card or PR TD, not that they necessarily will be denied boarding. This suggests some flexibility and perhaps an airline may allow boarding despite the lack of a proper TD if the traveler's documents otherwise persuade the airline that the traveler should be allowed to board the flight. Perhaps the presentation of the work visa and a CoPR and explanation about recently landing and not yet having a PR card will work. BUT there is NO guarantee this will work, and indeed there is NO information from IRCC that overtly suggests this will work. So it would be risky, the risk being that the traveler is indeed DENIED boarding.

The possibility of some flexibility is also indicated in the Operational Manual ENF 15 "Obligations of Transporters" (linked below), since it states that "The CBSA maintains an advisory role, and the decision to deny boarding is the carrier's alone." I cannot say whether this is merely to immunize CBSA from claims for the cost of flights or is intended to allow the airlines flexibility to allow boarding notwithstanding a "no board" IAPI system response.

IRCC information online has clarified IAPI system implementation.

It turns out that the IAPI system was not in use prior to November 10th, but rather it was essentially turned on at midnight November 10, 2016. (It was supposed to be implemented years ago.)

See, for example, section 7 in ENF 15 "Obligatons of transporters," a pdf of the Operational Manual which can be reached by link at IRCC website for updates to Operational Bulletins and Operational Manual at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/rss.asp