+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel Advice Needed

stockee

Aug 17, 2015
So a bit of background - I'm currently on implied status.

• Applied for residency back in June 2014 which is still In Process.
  • Applied for a new BOWP in August this year which I can only assume (paper based) is In Process
  • Current BOWP expired in October

So assuming times are accurate I should receive my new work visa early December. The issue I have is i'm supposed to head to a wedding in Mexico later this month, and i'm struggling to decide if it's worth the risk going down there.

Anyone been in a similar situation? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I've heard stories of people getting their visa renewed at the border, but i'm not sure thats possible given my current visa has expired.

The whole situation is beyond frustrating!!

LFB72

Star Member
May 21, 2015
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2014
AOR Received.
08-08-2014
File Transfer...
29-08-2014
Med's Request
20-02-2015
Med's Done....
23-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received in mail 11-02-2016
stockee said:
So a bit of background - I'm currently on implied status.

• Applied for residency back in June 2014 which is still In Process.
  • Applied for a new BOWP in August this year which I can only assume (paper based) is In Process
  • Current BOWP expired in October

So assuming times are accurate I should receive my new work visa early December. The issue I have is i'm supposed to head to a wedding in Mexico later this month, and i'm struggling to decide if it's worth the risk going down there.

Anyone been in a similar situation? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I've heard stories of people getting their visa renewed at the border, but i'm not sure thats possible given my current visa has expired.

The whole situation is beyond frustrating!!
From personal experience - I was told by my lawyer NOT to travel while I was on implied status - as border services are not obliged to let you back in. I had to wait until I had a valid permit actually in my hand!

hssam

Star Member
Jan 30, 2014
HI Stockee,

We are exactly in an identical situation also with the same timelines only difference is my BOWP has expired in the month of September.
Also, it is my own sisters wedding in December :-(

I didnt find any solution as of now, did you ?

Regards,
Hssam

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
Under implied status, if you leave Canada you will be:

• Allowed to reenter provided that you are from a visa exempt country, however if you do so, you will not be allowed to work or study until a decision is made on your application. Additionally you have to provide proof of your application (not just the application, proof of payment, anything you can to ensure that they won't give you trouble).
  • Allowed to apply for a new WP or TRV if they are allowed by the regulations (if you are not from a visa exempt country you can almost forget about it)

If you are not from a visa exempt country I strongly recommend that you do not leave Canada, if you plan to keep your job I strongly recommend not leaving Canada (some specific jobs that do not require LMIA are fine but make sure your job falls in that category and you meet all the criteria for the application at POE).

stockee

Aug 17, 2015
None as of yet, I've heard so much conflicting advice.

The lawyer I've been talking to said i'm free to go, and they'll most likely let me back in but I wont be able to work upon return. However, there's also the chance that doesn't happen and i'm spending $2k+ on a plane ticket home.

Then I've heard of others coming back and getting their visa on the spot at the border. Like i said, beyond frustrating - the worst part is my BOWP is due in about 4 days after my flight out....

ifeedly

Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The following foreign nationals do not qualify for a bridging work permit:

foreign nationals who have let their status expire and must apply for restoration in order to return to temporary resident status;
foreign nationals whose work permits are valid for longer than four months or who already have a new LMIA that can be used as the basis for a new work permit application;
**> foreign nationals applying for a bridging work permit at the port of entry<**

hssam

Star Member
Jan 30, 2014
stockee said:
None as of yet, I've heard so much conflicting advice.

The lawyer I've been talking to said i'm free to go, and they'll most likely let me back in but I wont be able to work upon return. However, there's also the chance that doesn't happen and i'm spending $2k+ on a plane ticket home.

Then I've heard of others coming back and getting their visa on the spot at the border. Like i said, beyond frustrating - the worst part is my BOWP is due in about 4 days after my flight out....
HI Stockee,

Is your Lawyer sure that they will let you in without a TRV, if you are not from a TRV exempted country.

I have heard of Work Permit at the border but I have never heard of TRV at the border.

stockee

Aug 17, 2015
She was pretty confident i'd get back in, yeah.

Thanks all - not the advice i wanted to hear, but probably more so the advice i needed!

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey there
From a previous experience I will be straight forward; I have had the same doubts before and was looking for answer all over, I have asked lawyers and each gave me different advice. I have even called CBSA (Canada Boarder Service Agency) and was told that the IMMIGRATION DEPARTMENT OF CBSA DO NO HAVE PHONE LINE FOR INQUIRES so can’t get help!

Finally, I was able to speak to supervisor in CBSA and she told me “IT IS UP TO THE OFFICER AT THE TIME YOU RE-ENTER, IF HE/SHE DECIDES YOU ARE ELIGIBLE TO ENTER OR YOU ARE INADMISSIBLE”
Personally, I have cancelled all my plans just to be in the safe side, you have spent so many years in here and you have come close to the end, but still you decision at the end weather to take the chance and leave and deal with the consequences later or stay in here and wait.

Good Luck