+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Translations/ certified photocopy

rusty3535

Mar 13, 2019
Hey there,

I am just finishing up my application for permanent residency through express entry, and have a question regarding translated documents and certified photocopies. I have searched for answers through this, and other forums and find myself rather confused.

IRCC states:

---------
Translation of documents
If one of your documents is in a language other than English or French, you must also upload:

--------

My question is regarding the certified photocopy section.

For some background, the documents I have uploaded are:

1) School certificates
i) Scanned copy of a Bachelors degree in the original language containing a stamp from the translator (society of translators and interpreters of BC). Included with this is the translated version (also stamped) and a signed translators declaration.

ii) Scanned original of an additional school certificate that is separate from bachelors (not signed or stamped by a translator). I also have a translated version of this document and a signed and stamped affidavit to go with it (this was done outside of Canada).

2) Police Certificate
Translated at the same time as 1)i). This includes a photocopy of the original containing the translator's stamp (society of translators and interpreters of BC), a copy of the translation (stamped) and the translators declaration.

My Questions regarding these documents follow:

1) Do these documents meet IRCC standards?
2) or do I need to obtain certified photocopies of the original documents in their original language which could be submitted in addition to my translations? will my current translations still be valid or will I then need the certified copies translated instead?
3) Should I have document 1)ii) retranslated within Canada and obtain a translator stamp on the original document?
4) since both documents 1)i) and 2) have a translators stamp on the "original" should I upload a copy of the original document that doesn't include this stamp as well? If this is a scanned copy of the original document will I still need a certified Photocopy?

apologies if this is overly convoluted, any clarity on this topic would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you so much for your time

mancugay

Star Member
Feb 15, 2020
In short you should upload 3 things:
- The original document.
- The certified copy (with notary's stamp as well as translator stamp on it).
- The translated document with translator's affidavit & notary's stamp if he/she is not a certified translator.

rusty3535

Mar 13, 2019
Thanks for the response,

So for clarity the process would be the following:

-Bring original documents (not in English) with a photocopy to a notary where they assess and stamp the copy.
-Bring the notarized copy to a translator where they translate to English and stamp both the notarized copy and translation.
-Bring translated document and translators affidavit back to notary to have verified and stamped a final time? (For this step if the translator is certified in Canada does the translated document and affidavit need to return to the notary or can it be submitted as is)?

Again thanks for your time, any help is much appreciated.

mancugay

Star Member
Feb 15, 2020
In my case, the translator does not stamp anything. After he finishes the translation, he brings the certified true copy (in step 2) + translated version + his affidavit to the notary public so the notary public stamps ACROSS the certified true copy + translated version + translator's affidavit.

The notary public writes below translator's affidavit something like this: "At public notary xxx, I, ABC, who is Head of public notary xxx, hereby certify that Mr.XYZ (the translator) subscribed his name into this translated document". As for that, I am not sure whether you can bring the certified true copy + translated version + translator's affidavit to the public notary yourself as you are not the one who writes the affidavit.

If the translator is certified in Canada, there is no need for an affidavit/public notary for the translated document.

rusty3535

Mar 13, 2019
Ok, that is very helpful. I think in my case I will bring my original documents and photocopies to the notary public for an assessment of authenticity and have them stamped. I will then resend this stamped photocopy to the certified translator who I previously used and see if they can update my translation using the notarized documents instead of the non notarized documents I initially provided them.

mancugay

Star Member
Feb 15, 2020
Exactly. You should have provided the translator with the certified true copy instead of the non-notarized one.