+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Translation outside of Canada. When do I need an affidavit?

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
Hi Everyone,

I'm doing a spousal sponsorship application. I'm finding conflicting information about translations. I am planning to do the translation outside of Canada. In the Principle Applicant's country of residence. I am a little confused. Can we use a translator outside of Canada, if they were officially recognized in that country, without having to provide an affidavit?

Here's the information I've gathered.

On this webpage it says:

If the translation is being done outside of Canada
Applicants should use the services of a translator who is accredited (officially recognized or authorized) in the country where the translation is being completed.

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/refugee-protection/removal-risk-assessment/translation.html

While on the other webpage it says:
If the translation is not done by a certified translator (a member in good standing of a provincial or territorial association of translators and interpreters in Canada), you must submit an affidavit swearing to the accuracy of the translation and the language proficiency of the translator.

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html#documents

The glossary defines a certified translator as follows:

Certified translator
A member in good standing of a provincial or territorial organization of translators and interpreters in Canada.

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship/helpcentre/glossary.html#certified_translator

Thanks!

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
Just wanted to clarify my question.

The first webpage puts me under the impression that a translator is considered certified if they are officially recognized in their country. So does that mean I don't need to submit an affidavit? Because the second page says any translator outside of Canada needs to provide an affidavit.

Thank you again :)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I'm doing a spousal sponsorship application. I'm finding conflicting information about translations. I am planning to do the translation outside of Canada. In the Principle Applicant's country of residence. I am a little confused. Can we use a translator outside of Canada, if they were officially recognized in that country, without having to provide an affidavit?
You'll get a lot better and more useful answers if you just say which country and whether the translations are of official docs (govt) or other.

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
You'll get a lot better and more useful answers if you just say which country and whether the translations are of official docs (govt) or other.
Thanks, @armoured!

The country is I am looking to do the translation in is Qatar.
The translations are for govt documents, social media posts, and chats. (All translations will be for supporting documents on the sponsorship application).

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks, @armoured!

The country is I am looking to do the translation in is Qatar.
The translations are for govt documents, social media posts, and chats. (All translations will be for supporting documents on the sponsorship application).
Sorry, I don't know Qatar specifically. In most countries there will be some relatively standard way of doing this - like notarized copy (that may not be needed for unofficial docs) and the certified translation. Translation bureaux and/or notaries - working together - will usually know what's needed 'for embassies.'

But again, this is from some other countreis and I don't know how in Qatar.

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
Sorry, I don't know Qatar specifically. In most countries there will be some relatively standard way of doing this - like notarized copy (that may not be needed for unofficial docs) and the certified translation. Translation bureaux and/or notaries - working together - will usually know what's needed 'for embassies.'

But again, this is from some other countreis and I don't know how in Qatar.
Thanks, I see what you mean there. That's actually helpful on that front. But my original question was about clarifying the requirements from the IRCC's side, do you know how I can make sure the translation matches their requirements? What I saw on the webpages I linked earlier gave me conflicting information. Am I looking in the right place?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks, I see what you mean there. That's actually helpful on that front. But my original question was about clarifying the requirements from the IRCC's side, do you know how I can make sure the translation matches their requirements? What I saw on the webpages I linked earlier gave me conflicting information. Am I looking in the right place?
You should not be looking at or citing instructions for translations inside Canada if you're going to get them done outside Canada. Then it is more clear.

cuteproso9

Jul 21, 2022
I am coming across
Hope you figured this out. I am coming across the same thing and are very confused. The translation in my country will get notarized by the government so I am wonder do i need an affidavit.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hope you figured this out. I am coming across the same thing and are very confused. The translation in my country will get notarized by the government so I am wonder do i need an affidavit.
In that specific case, I don't believe so.

[Note: use of the word affidavit is all over the map. At heart it's just a written statement that's 'sworn,' in almost any form that's accepted locally. Often just a couple words and a stamp or just the stamp. Don't focus on the word affidavit.]