+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transit Visa Required for London Heathrow? 9hours layover?

monish88

Star Member
Jul 16, 2014
There has been written a lot on this topic.
Some say that Transit Visa at London Heathrow is required if stay at Airport exceeds more than 12hours.
Some say required only if you wana leave Airport.
Some say not to take risk and apply for Transit Visa.
The stupid website says US/Canada Student Visa Holders are eligible for Visa Concession ( no Transit Visa required). Also, it says- However, the Officer at the Airport will decide whether to give permission for 'no-transit visa' entry or not. 'So you mite wana apply for Transit Visa'!

Lol no one clearly explains the UK transit stuff! I am thinking of this flight Mumbai-London-Vancouver. where layover is 8 to 9hours. So anybody wana share their knowledge on this? :)

Zahida

Star Member
Jul 23, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Category........
PNP
App. Filed.......
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
03-01-2017
Med's Request
06-11-2018
Med's Done....
13-11-2018
you dont need a transit visa, if your stay is less than 24 hours and even if you want to leave airport.
it's my personal experience!
you can confirm here:
https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa

monish88

Star Member
Jul 16, 2014
Zahida said:
you dont need a transit visa, if your stay is less than 24 hours and even if you want to leave airport.
you can confirm here:
seriously Zahida? even leave the airport? let me check the link sent by you in that case!

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Zahida said:
you can confirm here:

1. You need 'General Visitor Visa' if you leave the Heathrow Airport and go outside.

monish88

Star Member
Jul 16, 2014
In this link sent by Zahida, what to enter- Will you pas through UK Border control?
Also, apart from General Visitor Visa, there is a transit visa for 3days as well I heard.
So that means NO TRANSIT VISA REQUIRED RIGHT! :D

mizan776

Jan 27, 2014
Muscat, Oman
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-06-2014
Med's Request
Exempted
Med's Done....
Exempted
Interview........
Exempted
Passport Req..
21-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-07-2014
LANDED..........
19-08-2014
monish88 said:
There has been written a lot on this topic.
Some say that Transit Visa at London Heathrow is required if stay at Airport exceeds more than 12hours.
Some say required only if you wana leave Airport.
Some say not to take risk and apply for Transit Visa.
The stupid website says US/Canada Student Visa Holders are eligible for Visa Concession ( no Transit Visa required). Also, it says- However, the Officer at the Airport will decide whether to give permission for 'no-transit visa' entry or not. 'So you mite wana apply for Transit Visa'!

Lol no one clearly explains the UK transit stuff! I am thinking of this flight Mumbai-London-Vancouver. where layover is 8 to 9hours. So anybody wana share their knowledge on this? :)
Even I read this. Since you have booked your ticket, why not take a chance. Once in London heathrow try to get the transit visa concession. If you get it's good, if not spend your time inside the airport waiting lounge. :)

lucifer_2510

May 27, 2014
Kolkata
Category........
Visa Office......
Kolkata
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2014
Doc's Request.
Medical Upfront
IELTS Request
7.5 Bands
File Transfer...
01-08-2014
Med's Request
11-07-2014
Med's Done....
11-07-2014
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
31-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-08-2014
LANDED..........
21-08-2014
monish88 said:
In this link sent by Zahida, what to enter- Will you pas through UK Border control?
Also, apart from General Visitor Visa, there is a transit visa for 3days as well I heard.
i think u need

check this now.

https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/india/transit/yes

maysun18

Aug 1, 2014
Does Passing Through Border Control mean, one has to collect their luggage if it happens to be a different carrier from London onwards?

asim abbas

Star Member
Oct 1, 2008
If the gap between two flights from Air lines then they are supposed to arrange you visa and Hotel. But, you would have to contact at Airlines counter.

kaulvirus

Star Member
Nov 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I keep insisting that you directly contact the airline rather than listening to people's opinions. I had the same doubt regarding my flight to frankfurt and I called the airlines and had it cleared. I've read instances where the Immigration officer was mighty pissed at the airlines as to how they let people onto the plane without checking the transit visa requirements.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

monish88 said:

You do not need a transit visa. You aren't allowed to leave Heathrow airport without having a transit visa. You will get your checked baggage at the final destination.