+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transactions on a different credit card

bkhan

Sep 23, 2015
I landed as a permanent resident in October 2015, and have been working for a company in Los Angeles remotely from my place in Edmonton, Alberta.

I pay rent each month (and the lease is in my name), and I use my credit card to pay all my bills.

My Mom lives with me, and she is an authorized user on my credit card, and makes most of the transactions on it, e.g. groceries.

I am just a bit concerned as in the absence of any employment history in Canada (at least for right now), is this a negative for proving my physical presence in Canada when I apply for citizenship?

Would CIC take a negative view of the fact that the charges for major expenses (e.g. groceries) on my credit card account are actually under a card that is not in my name? My bill doesn't state the name of the card holder, but I am just a bit curious and also concerned if this can end up raising a red flag for CIC when I apply for citizenship, as my bank shows the transactions for each card individually on my monthly statements.

Thanks a lot for helping me out!

MarceauBletard

Aug 12, 2016
Montréal, Québec
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP
Why don't you just give your mom your credit card instead?
Don't you have phone, television and hydro bills too?

bkhan

Sep 23, 2015
I thought about that, but isn't that illegal?

I do pay my phone bill and Internet bill every single month, but is that sufficient?

I have other expenses, e.g. hair cut, eating out, etc.

But, she does the groceries, which is the major portion of the bill.

I think if I were clear as to whether it is not against the law for her to use my credit card on my behalf, it would solve all the problems, as she is really trying her best to help me out with the daily chores.

Thanks for helping out.