+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TR to PR: Leaving job before PR decision

borisjohnson1

Jan 31, 2022
Hi guys, I’ve a question:

Can I leave my job now that I've applied for PR through this TR to PR (French grad) stream, while still waiting for decision?
I know having a job at the time of application is a requirement. However, the statute/policy says nothing about requiring one to be employed while waiting for PR decision. See: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/tr-pr-pathway/assessing.html

I would like to leave my job and NOT LOOK to find another until PR decision is made. Will this impact my PR decision? Thanks!

For context, I have:
  • Received biometric refund on Jan 27
  • No AOR yet
  • Linked my application on IRCC (based on biometric refund info)

EscoBlades

Champion Member
Jul 22, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
You don't need to remain employed while your application is being processed under this pathway AS LONG AS that doesn't affect your legal status here as a result.

borisjohnson1

Jan 31, 2022
You don't need to remain employed while your application is being processed under this pathway AS LONG AS that doesn't affect your legal status here as a result.
Thanks so much! Do you have a source 100% confirming this? Will immigration officers reject the application because they wrote to my employer, and find out that I quit (even if it's 6 months after I applied to PR)?

EscoBlades

Champion Member
Jul 22, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Thanks so much! Do you have a source 100% confirming this? Will immigration officers reject the application because they wrote to my employer, and find out that I quit (even if it's 6 months after I applied to PR)?
It is in the bulletin you linked in your original post.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi guys, I’ve a question:

Can I leave my job now that I've applied for PR through this TR to PR (French grad) stream, while still waiting for decision?
I know having a job at the time of application is a requirement. However, the statute/policy says nothing about requiring one to be employed while waiting for PR decision. See: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/tr-pr-pathway/assessing.html

I would like to leave my job and NOT LOOK to find another until PR decision is made. Will this impact my PR decision? Thanks!

For context, I have:
  • Received biometric refund on Jan 27
  • No AOR yet
  • Linked my application on IRCC (based on biometric refund info)
Would really suggest remaining employed. You never know what may happen and until you have PR approval it is always safer to remain employed. If the work environment is unsafe then I understand not working but other than that I would always keep my options open.