20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Japhro said:
This is not waiting a few more months, this puts us 1.5 years into a 4 year wait rather than 2.5 years into a 3 year wait. Everything has taken vastly longer than we were told on the outset, my wife could not work for close to 3 years waiting for her PR, could not contribute to the family nor pay taxes. We are really just discussing the reversal of hastily implemented bill C-24, for the most part. Peoples lives are what we are discussing, and decisions that affect families for YEARS are real issues, do not minimise them because of your personal lack of concern please.
What does citizenship have to do with waiting for your wife's PR. Besides your wife would only be able able to claim 2 years of pre-PR max regardless of how long it took her to get PR under the new 3/5 rule when it comes into effect.

Japhro

Apr 16, 2016
screech339 said:
What does citizenship have to do with waiting for your wife's PR. Besides your wife would only be able able to claim 2 years of pre-PR max regardless of how long it took her to get PR under the new 3/5 rule when it comes into effect.
You do understand that the entire process from start to citizenship is a process, a series of steps? Since they took 3x the time they said for the PR this put us 2yrs behind (and 2 yrs of not working or being able to take school etc for my wife) and the different between 3/5 and the 1yr credit to 4/6 and no credit is also 2 years?

That means a worst case delay of 4 yrs, all due to changing goal posts since we started this. It seems like that's not a big deal to many here, surprisingly

canadianthrower

Star Member
Jun 27, 2013
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegerville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2012
AOR Received.
16-01-2013
Med's Done....
06-11-2012
Interview........
12-02-2014
Japhro said:
You do understand that the entire process from start to citizenship is a process, a series of steps? Since they took 3x the time they said for the PR this put us 2yrs behind (and 2 yrs of not working or being able to take school etc for my wife) and the different between 3/5 and the 1yr credit to 4/6 and no credit is also 2 years?

That means a worst case delay of 4 yrs, all due to changing goal posts since we started this. It seems like that's not a big deal to many here, surprisingly
It's a pretty big deal to me and my husband. When I came to Canada, the CIC was on strike and it delayed me getting my work permit and permanent residency. It was about 8 months extended from what the processing times had been before the strike happened. That was an extra 8 months of me being unable to work or even drive. Then when the law changed, my citizenship application date got moved from June 2016 to 2018. Making the time before I can give up the citizenship in my birth country that much longer, extending time of not being able to fully belong to my new country, our son will be born soon and I'll still be waiting to even apply for my citizenship. I cannot vote, I cannot represent Canada in a sporting event, I cannot visit family in my birth country for more than a few weeks without having to pay double taxes, I still have to fill out two tax forms every year (one for my birth country and one for Canada), traveling with a Canadian husband and me not having the same passport means we get detained at the border because it is "suspicious". I am just ready to finally be able to be a citizen of this country and stop being delayed and jumping through hoops.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
canadianthrower said:
It's a pretty big deal to me and my husband. When I came to Canada, the CIC was on strike and it delayed me getting my work permit and permanent residency. It was about 8 months extended from what the processing times had been before the strike happened. That was an extra 8 months of me being unable to work or even drive. Then when the law changed, my citizenship application date got moved from June 2016 to 2018. Making the time before I can give up the citizenship in my birth country that much longer, extending time of not being able to fully belong to my new country, our son will be born soon and I'll still be waiting to even apply for my citizenship. I cannot vote, I cannot represent Canada in a sporting event, I cannot visit family in my birth country for more than a few weeks without having to pay double taxes, I still have to fill out two tax forms every year (one for my birth country and one for Canada), traveling with a Canadian husband and me not having the same passport means we get detained at the border because it is "suspicious". I am just ready to finally be able to be a citizen of this country and stop being delayed and jumping through hoops.
But ultimnately you can still wake up every day look out of the window and be happy you are in Canada regardless of any struggles you may have/still have. A lot of people on this forum seem still desparate to be in the same situation and would probably gladly accept some inconveniences no matter how challenging.

here2stay

Aug 14, 2012
I really want someone to reply to this thread.. Any updates on the second senate reading, now that the fall is here?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
here2stay said:
I really want someone to reply to this thread.. Any updates on the second senate reading, now that the fall is here?
Senate won't start until Sept 27th. It's Sept 2. Wait another 25 days before posting asking for any senate updates.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
here2stay said:
There are multiple threads discussing the progress (or lack thereof) toward adoption and implementation of Bill C-6 and its parts.

This thread is actually focused on discussing the meaning, import, and prospective application of what is proposed in Bill C-6.

As repeatedly observed in more than one of those threads discussing the legislative process, as well as by screech339 here, the Senate is not even scheduled to resume until late this month. (When it really is fall.) And of course the Senate has much more than Bill C-6 on its agenda, so there is no guarantee how soon the Senate will proceed to the next step for this Bill in particular.

The big issue is whether one or more provisions, like the one to repeal Bill C-24 changes providing for the revocation of citizenship based on convictions for specified crimes, will cause extended debate or perhaps even revision, thus delaying or, if there are revisions made, resulting in the HoC having to revisit, debate anew, and vote again on the Bill.

Most nonetheless expect Bill C-6 to pass, be adopted, and receive Royal Assent, and if not in October or November, at the least before the December break. But as oft repeated in the other topics where the legislative process is more on topic, there is no guarantee it will go this way. And, moreover, the provisions most people are interested in, the implementation of the 3/5 rule, are not likely to take effect until sometime in 2017, even if the Bill itself gets adopted and in part implemented as early as sometime in October.

here2stay

Aug 14, 2012
screech339 said:
Senate won't start until Sept 27th. It's Sept 2. Wait another 25 days before posting asking for any senate updates.
I did not know Senate will resume on Sep 27th. This is exactly the kind of update I was looking for. Thanks for your kind reply!

Shmak2017

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-08-2016
AOR Received.
2016/09/26
File Transfer...
SA 2016/09/30 & AOR2 on 2016/10/11
Med's Done....
12-08-2016
Interview........
BG IN PROGRESS 30-March-2017 DM :31-March 2017
Passport Req..
10 April 2017
Hope Bill get passed and rolled this year

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
No PPR yet , just Passport Biopage request
LANDED..........
I'm Dreaming of July/2015
here2stay said:
I did not know Senate will resume on Sep 27th. This is exactly the kind of update I was looking for. Thanks for your kind reply!
:p :p :p

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
And in the meantime while we seat and wait for the Senate, we can watch processing times going down to two months between application send to the test date.

amitshipra

Apr 28, 2016
Any news on the Senate discussion today? Anyone following? I think today they were supposed to discuss and hopefully push to Third reading...

amitshipra

Apr 28, 2016
Does anyone know that Senate intends to discuss Bill C 6 in this session OR its delegated for next year? It had been a week of Senate discussion and its only discussed for first day. Does anyone know the priority for Bill C 6

zzzzzzzz

Star Member
Sep 28, 2016
amitshipra said:
Does anyone know that Senate intends to discuss Bill C 6 in this session OR its delegated for next year? It had been a week of Senate discussion and its only discussed for first day. Does anyone know the priority for Bill C 6
As far as I'm aware, bill discussions aren't delegated to future time periods. The Senate intends to delay the discussion as much as possible, and then plans to try and force some amendments. Today Citizenship minister McCallum made an appearance in the Senate to do discussions over Bill C-6, and the Senate spent 30 minutes debating whether to let him in or not because he had a photographer accompanying him. Just can't believe how shitty that is. And his responses to their questions were sadly quite feeble too.

There's no saying when it's going to go through, but I hope it happens by the year-end

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
zzzzzzzz said:
Today Citizenship minister McCallum made an appearance in the Senate to do discussions over Bill C-6, and the Senate spent 30 minutes debating whether to let him in or not because he had a photographer accompanying him.
You sort of wonder why McCallum would bring a photographer with him. Can't he follow his boss' lead and just take a few selfies from his phone instead?