+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

to marry or not

leslie_jane

Sep 6, 2009
hi, i'm a new member here. i just have a question that's really bothering me. hope you could help. i am a nurse here in the philippines and been working for almost 4 yrs. i have a boyfriend for 8 yrs and we are planning to get married next year, january 2009. i am preparing now for my application for federal skilled worker. i just want to ask if it is ok if i put my marital status as common law upon submission to cic and later on changed it to married? i know we are given 120 days to complete our documents. is it ok if i will claim my status now as common law partnership and later on changed it to married status upon completing my documents if in case my application will be eligible for processing for permanent residency? i really need your help guys. thank you very much.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, it's not a problem. Once you are married, just send them an update.

leslie_jane

Sep 6, 2009
So, if ever i will be eligible to continue for further assessment for permanent residency, i will just send them my marriage certificate and all will be okay? will they question me if why i suddenly change my status from common law to married? And another thing, if i get married, will i change my surname in ALL of my documents to my husband's surname? if yes, what particular documents? thank you very much leon.. i was overwhelmed when somebody answered my question. thank you for your help.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know why they would question you if you got married. It's not like people who live as common law never get married. It might however be a bad idea to tell them in your application that you are planning on getting married as they might decide to store your application to wait for the wedding. That happened to one couple on here.

So you are asking me if you should change your surname to your husbands surname? My answer: you can if you want to or you can keep your surname or go hyphenated or your husband could change his surname to yours. All depends on your preference. If you do decide to change your name, you might get that sorted as well so you can send immigration in one package proof of your marriage and your name change at the same time.