+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

To extend my visitor record or not?

literally

Jul 18, 2013
Hi everyone! I'm new here, and I had a question, just to get some general ideas and opinions about this dilemma I'm facing.

The details:

I spent about 6 months in canada last year (I didn't overstay). During this time I met my girlfriend. When my visitor visa was getting close to expiring, our plan was to visit my family in the states for the holidays and return to canada to get a new visitor visa. We did end up going to the states for a few months as planned, but when we got back to canada I was denied entry (very dumb mistake—I didn't have much money or proof of ties to the U.S.).

So I went back, and after getting all my stuff in order—got a job, saved up a bunch of money for a few months—I came back to Canada to attempt re-entry. Success! They let me in, but I was granted a visitor record :(

So now, because of my VR, I have to leave very soon (on July 30th). I am certainly able to leave, I just dont want to.

I don't have much money until I get some funds around mid-August, but my girlfriend has a steady job and is willing to say she supports me. Her parents are also willing to do the same—they are super supportive.

I'd like to stay so I can be with my girlfriend and support her. She lost her apartment downtown in Mission because of the flood, and the whole experience hurt her a lot. She is also returning to work after years of being on medical leave. She needs my emotional support as well as help trying to find a new place and living with these new changes in her life.

Do you think I should take a chance an try to extend my VR? Or would be it be less risky to just go back to the states, wait a month until I have more money to return, and come back? Will I face any negative consequences by extending my VR (regardless of if its approved or denied)?

Just wanted to get some opinions—it seems with most immigration issues like this there's a big risk no matter what you do ???

Thanks so much!

TL;DR I'm in Canada now on a visitor record expiring in 1.5 weeks, but I don't want to leave my girlfriend. Would it be more or less risky to extend my VR versus leaving and re-entering in a month?

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Extension is preferable as they will see your coming back again in 1 month - will previous entry/exit record too

literally

Jul 18, 2013
user828 said:
Extension is preferable as they will see your coming back again in 1 month - will previous entry/exit record too
Thanks for your response! So to clarify, you're saying I should try to extend my VR since immigration might see my exit/re-entry as flagpoling? I was under the impression that re-entry—even if it's after a short time—wasn't that bad as long as I had all the necessary funds and documents to show the IO.

Also, would it be too late to try and extend now, since I only have about a week left before I have to leave? Do you think I will get a response before I leave?

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
literally said:
Thanks for your response! So to clarify, you're saying I should try to extend my VR since immigration might see my exit/re-entry as flagpoling? I was under the impression that re-entry—even if it's after a short time—wasn't that bad as long as I had all the necessary funds and documents to show the IO.

Also, would it be too late to try and extend now, since I only have about a week left before I have to leave? Do you think I will get a response before I leave?
Flagpoling is a different term - but passing borders make the officer suspect that you might be working or living with gf or something else why would someone live for a long time and then go back for 2 days and then re-enter. You can still apply for ext, although 30 days is recommended

davek1979

Sep 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2012
Doc's Request.
16-10-2012
AOR Received.
16-10-2012
Med's Request
16-10-2012
Med's Done....
22-10-2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
15-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
13-04-2013
literally said:

Apply immediately. Technically you have until the day before your visa expires, but CIC recommends that you apply a month before. After you apply you will be on implied status until you receive an answer either way.

eninrutas

Mar 27, 2013
Calgary
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OP's girlfriend checking in!

Thank you all for your responses!

Would there be any negative consequences to being denied or approved an extension?

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
eninrutas said:
OP's girlfriend checking in!

Thank you all for your responses!

Would there be any negative consequences to being denied or approved an extension?
It would be recorded for sure but it's not the end of the world, doesn't affect future sponsorship or anything - if anything it would be for extending next time but if you are honest enough to apply one there shouldn't be anything negative. Just satisfy them with good reason, proof of funds to take care of yourself

Vjreal

Mar 2, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello...I applied for extension of stay before my visit visa expires June 24, 2013...now I am currently on implied status while waiting for the decision...what if i want to go home to my country...is it okay to go home even if i didnt receive yet the decision of my extension? Pls help...or should i inform them that i just want to cancel my application for extension of stay and just go home? Please help...

Thank you

Vanessa

literally

Jul 18, 2013
Thanks for the replies everyone! I plan on submitting the application today.

One problem I'm having — from the "Extend Your Stay" page, clicking the 'Apply Online' link under number 1 sends me to the standard 'determine your eligibility' questionnaire, at the end of which it simply tells me "you may visit Canada without a visa", with nothing to do from there but to view a page that tells me standard visitor requirements like passport, etc.

Meanwhile on my MyCIC page, it tells me I have an application still "in progress." Clicking this link sends me back to that same page that just tells me I may visit Canada without a visitor visa.

Am I missing something? I've looked all over for another link but I cant find anything...starting to feel a little crazy ???