+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Timelines after receiving the PR

AgentA

Jun 1, 2013
Hi All,

Can someone please comment on the timeline after one receives the PR. That is, in how many months s/he needs to land in Canada and for how many months/years s/he needs to be there to keep PR valid?

I have few commitments here in India and so won't be able to travel before next April. Also, I might need to intermittently travel to India. So, my decision of applying for FSW rests on these two timelines.

Called up an immigration agent and according to him, one has to land in Canada within a year from getting the PR and has to stay in Canada for at least two years out of five years to keep the PR valid? Is that right?

Thanks!!

cimple

Star Member
Nov 30, 2012
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-08-2008
Med's Done....
22-11-2012
Passport Req..
07-06-2013
I think out of 5 year you hv to stay 3 year so this 3 year time you can calculate yourself like 2 year you finish with your commitment stay three year continous

AgentA

Jun 1, 2013
Thanks Cimple!! So is there any rule that the applicant should land in Canada in a year's time after getting PR.

cimple said:
I think out of 5 year you hv to stay 3 year so this 3 year time you can calculate yourself like 2 year you finish with your commitment stay three year continous

cimple

Star Member
Nov 30, 2012
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-08-2008
Med's Done....
22-11-2012
Passport Req..
07-06-2013
AgentA said:
Thanks Cimple!! So is there any rule that the applicant should land in Canada in a year's time after getting PR.
I think you are confusing this one year time with the time of expiry period of visa. First time when visa is stamped you have to land in Canada within that time which is valid one year from you medical.so once you are landed then you can free move in and out Canada so it all depends on you how often you come to Canada even for one day.

cimple

Star Member
Nov 30, 2012
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-08-2008
Med's Done....
22-11-2012
Passport Req..
07-06-2013
AgentA said:
To keep your status as a permanent resident, you must live in Canada for at least two years within a five-year period.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp#keep_status