+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Time Taken after Passport is Requested

tosomu

May 25, 2008
Hi All,

I was recently notified that my case has been approved and was asked to submit all our passports (me, wife, kid) to Buffalo office. Have done that.

Now, question is: How long will it take before the passports are returned?

Another question:
1. Once I get my passport, In what duration we have to enter canada?
2. Once we enter, do I have to be there for a certain time period, the reason for the question is I would need to stay back with my parents for some time due to certain circumstances.

Any response is appreciated. The CIC website was not clear about these questions.

Thanks,
Sam

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

tosomu said:
Hi All,

I was recently notified that my case has been approved and was asked to submit all our passports (me, wife, kid) to Buffalo office. Have done that.

Now, question is: How long will it take before the passports are returned?

About a month

Another question:
1. Once I get my passport, In what duration we have to enter canada?

12 months from the date of the medical or the expiry of the passport, whichever comes first.
2. Once we enter, do I have to be there for a certain time period, the reason for the question is I would need to stay back with my parents for some time due to certain circumstances.
You must reside in Canada for 2 years in every 5 years period .

Any response is appreciated. The CIC website was not clear about these questions.

Thanks,
Sam
PMM

tosomu

May 25, 2008
Thanks PMM, this helps a lot.

Just to probe/clarify a little further:

So I can essentially enter say via Vancouver, stay in Canada for a week or so - do some sightseeing - and return back to my home country (India). And say after about another year or so move to Canada permanently?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

tosomu said:
Thanks PMM, this helps a lot.

Just to probe/clarify a little further:

So I can essentially enter say via Vancouver, stay in Canada for a week or so - do some sightseeing - and return back to my home country (India). And say after about another year or so move to Canada permanently?
Yes.

PMM