+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Three questions about the process of becoming PR

Zainee

May 25, 2009
Hi ,
I applied to sponsor my husband in June. My questions are:

1)hopefully if everything goes right, if for example he get approved in November. When do they usually ask you to land ? Do we need to land immediately? (note he did his medical in June first week). Some people told me they give 6 month to land. Some people say the date you did your medical that's the day visa expires. And others told me we have to land in 60 days of approval notice. I don't know who to believe.

Please people with current PR approval please tell me if visa expires soon after approval or you have some time to settle down matters in here and then leave.

2) After landing, do we need to fill out forms to apply for the PR card (fill form imm 5444 and imm5455) , or is it automatically done after landing for first time (no filling forms) and the cost of it.

3) Also, do they send the PR card in mail or pick up by appointment. Does my husband need to stay in Canada and have an appointment to pick PR card from an office. We are currently in the USA and my husband probably won't have 5 weeks holiday all together from his work. His work contract expires 2010. Hence all the worries. He can probably stay for a week and return without the pr card. Would that be illegal ?

Thank you all in advance. I appreciate any help.

*patiently waiting for first stage decision :)

mud504@yahoo

Oct 20, 2008
Indiana
From what I read you have atleast 6 months, or if your medical expires before then, then you have until that date which sounds a bit confusing. I'm not really sure, hopefully someone else know's more. I have never heard anything about the 60 day one though.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Normally it's a year from the time of the medicals and you don't have to move right away. He can go to Canada and land, give them a Canadian address to mail his PR card to and leave again. Whoever is at that address, friends, relatives etc. will get the PR card and mail or fed-ex it to you. If you don't have an address to get the PR card mailed to, just explain that he is not staying this time since you are not quite ready to move yet and he will give an address and get his PR card once he comes to Canada to stay.

Zainee

May 25, 2009
Leon said:
Normally it's a year from the time of the medicals and you don't have to move right away. He can go to Canada and land, give them a Canadian address to mail his PR card to and leave again. Whoever is at that address, friends, relatives etc. will get the PR card and mail or fed-ex it to you. If you don't have an address to get the PR card mailed to, just explain that he is not staying this time since you are not quite ready to move yet and he will give an address and get his PR card once he comes to Canada to stay.
So did you mean if he did his medical June 4, 2009 and sent it with the application package, then PR visa to land will expire June 4,2010 ?

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Zainee said:
So did you mean if he did his medical June 4, 2009 and sent it with the application package, then PR visa to land will expire June 4,2010 ?
Yes that's correct.