+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread For applications Through SYDNEY (AUSTRALIA) Office

christinajane

Dec 27, 2011
Hi all, another NZer attempting to immigrate to Canada!

Forms sent in October 2011.
Sponsorship Approved in December 2011.
Moving over in March 2012. Would love PR to arrive before then.. What is the chance of this?? Judging from easykiwi it can all be done within 4 months!! That's awesome.

Otherwise entry will have to be on a visa. Has anyone else ever done this, or know any complications that could arise? I'm waiting to be approved for the WHP allowing me to work and travel before PR comes. Failing that, seeming as we are visa-exempt, I guess I'll just arrive as a visitor and live off husband until PR arrives..

kiwicanuck

Star Member
Dec 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2011
File Transfer...
25-01-2012
Med's Done....
26-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2012
LANDED..........
18-03-2012
christinajane said:

Moving over in March 2012. Would love PR to arrive before then.. What is the chance of this?? Judging from easykiwi it can all be done within 4 months!! That's awesome.

Otherwise entry will have to be on a visa. Has anyone else ever done this, or know any complications that could arise? I'm waiting to be approved for the WHP allowing me to work and travel before PR comes. Failing that, seeming as we are visa-exempt, I guess I'll just arrive as a visitor and live off husband until PR arrives..
I'm in Canada as a kiwi on a student visa (grad student) while waiting for my PR application to be processed. I've left and re-entered Canada three times while on this visa and had no troubles at all! Good luck to you!!

HoneyEllis

Star Member
May 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYD
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2011
AOR Received.
15-08-2011
File Transfer...
10-08-2011
Med's Done....
08-04-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-09-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
christinajane said:

What are the chances of being approved by March ? It depends on how straightforward your application is. You can see from my timelines that it took next to no time for my application to be processed, but I think I had a pretty straightforward case (no divorces, no kids, no age gap, we had lived together prior to marriage, have a mortgage together etc..).
Best of luck!

christinajane

Dec 27, 2011
Thanks HoneyEllis - hopefully mine is just as straightforward, it should be.

My WHP visa has been approved so at least I have until October to worry about the PR. I plan to 're'enter' as a PR when my visa runs out, or well, as soon as PR arrives preferably.

kiwicanuck said:
I'm in Canada as a kiwi on a student visa (grad student) while waiting for my PR application to be processed.
Is this what you will be doing also Kiwicanuck? Will you have to leave and reenter or can you just visit CIC once PR is approved and undergo the 'landing' process?

So nice to hear of another doing what I am doing! I'd love to know more. I do have another question - what have you done for travel/health insurance while on visa? And what will you do once you change over to PR?

easykiwi

Star Member
Oct 5, 2011
New Zealand
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-08-2011
AOR Received.
13-12-2011
File Transfer...
08-11-2011
Med's Done....
11-08-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2012
LANDED..........
24-02-2012
Hey kids, it's official! I have a Permanent Residency Visa. Will be landing 23 Feb unless something goes horribly wrong. Good luck to you all, hope you have an equally happy conclusion :)

arfatanvir

Jan 15, 2012
Re: Thread For applications Through SYDNEY (AUSTRALIA) Office

Hi Ali,

My case is similar to yours. I am an Indian Citizen and International student in Australia, came to study in Australia last July 2011 and my student Visa is valid up to 2014 (so far about to complete 6 months). I currently am living with my canadian wife in Brisbane (Married in July 2011, INDIA, living together since then) and almost finished with applications and documents. Just few final questions before sending the application to Canada, I wanted to know

1. Which one I should opt, Sydney or New Delhi Canadian Visa Office to process the application?

2. I have a PCC already from Indian Consulate in Canberra (Australia). Do I need a PCC from INDIA itself or what I have already is enough?

3. Do I need an Australian PCC because I am about to complete my continuous 6 months in Australia?

Waiting for your prompt reply.

Many thanks and kind regards
Mohd.

kiwicanuck

Star Member
Dec 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2011
File Transfer...
25-01-2012
Med's Done....
26-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2012
LANDED..........
18-03-2012
Very excited to receive sponsorship approval from Mississauga today! Our file is being transferred to Sydney...let the second half of the waiting game begin :)

@christinajane: i haven't even thought about how the 'landing' will work given that i'm already in canada - hopefully it will just be a matter of crossing the nearby border to buffalo and coming back through.

in terms of health/travel insurance, at the moment i have very basic health insurance through the ontario university i'm enrolled in (it's about $800 a year and compulsory for all international students). again, haven't thought about how the change-over will work. do you have any info about how the landing/insurance etc should work?

christinajane

Dec 27, 2011
Kiwicanuck - I believe you can go to the CIC building, book an appointment and they'll just swap you visa for your PR and destroy the visa. Sounds simple enough - fingers crossed it is. Unsure about health insurance. I plan to get travel insurance for the first few months, then hope that any job i get will give me health insurance. If not I'll start afresh once I know what the locals do.

We are studying the BC road code, and stocking up on New Zealand merinos - I imagine winter stock will be on sale when we arrive so will get things for the cold dark North then! Really have no idea what my husband and I are getting ourselves in to, but it is nice to hear that you are progressing in the PR process. All the best :)

figgy

Star Member
Jan 10, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-07-2012
AOR Received.
24-09-2012
File Transfer...
24-09-2012
Med's Done....
23-06-2012
Passport Req..
10-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-01-2013
LANDED..........
12-01-2013
Hi there,

Just a quick question about photos for sending our application to sydney..... we took the 5 photos today and they are the correct size (seem really tiny though!) but the region specific form says nothing about writing on the back of the pictures.

the photographer didn't stamp them just in case, but said we could go back and get them stamped if necessary....so does anyone know if the photos should be stamped or what should be written on the back (if anything) ?

all out stuff is in order, but just realized last week we need a Victoria roads driver's history...ugh!

any help would be great- thanks!

kiwicanuck

Star Member
Dec 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2011
File Transfer...
25-01-2012
Med's Done....
26-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2012
LANDED..........
18-03-2012
figgy said:
Hi there,

Just a quick question about photos for sending our application to sydney..... we took the 5 photos today and they are the correct size (seem really tiny though!) but the region specific form says nothing about writing on the back of the pictures.

the photographer didn't stamp them just in case, but said we could go back and get them stamped if necessary....so does anyone know if the photos should be stamped or what should be written on the back (if anything) ?

all out stuff is in order, but just realized last week we need a Victoria roads driver's history...ugh!

any help would be great- thanks!
Appendix C, with the photo specifications for Family Class sponsorship, doesn't say anything needs to be written on the back.
In contrast, Appendix A for the 'Experience Class' includes this note: 'The photos must bear the date the photo was taken (not the date the photo was printed) directly on the back (stick-on labels are not acceptable).'
We got ours done at Walmart and they stamped the date on the back. It can't hurt to have this, better safe than sorry right?

figgy

Star Member
Jan 10, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-07-2012
AOR Received.
24-09-2012
File Transfer...
24-09-2012
Med's Done....
23-06-2012
Passport Req..
10-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-01-2013
LANDED..........
12-01-2013
thanks! yes, i guess it's better to have the date since they need to be recent photos.

as for health insurance.... not sure if this helps your situation, but my boyfriend is here on a work permit and he was able to get his healthcard (OHIP) after 2 months of work. he just had to get a letter from him employer.

also, does anyone know..... when they request the passport, does it have to be sent all the way to sydney or does it get sent to mississauga CIC? also i thought i read somewhere that people applying through visa exempt countries (is- australia) don't have to send their passport? or am I totally wrong?

any insight would be great!

kiwicanuck

Star Member
Dec 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2011
File Transfer...
25-01-2012
Med's Done....
26-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2012
LANDED..........
18-03-2012
I just got an email from the Consulate in Sydney saying that my application has been received. The file was transferred to Sydney two weeks ago. BUT...in the email it says the file was received the same day our application arrived in Mississauga, a little over two months ago. I'm taking this to mean that the file just arrived in Sydney. Did anyone get a similar email from Sydney soon after their file was transferred?

Irenz

Dec 4, 2011
New Zealand
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-12-2011
AOR Received.
12-01-2012
File Transfer...
09-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
01-03-2012
kiwicanuck said:
I just got an email from the Consulate in Sydney saying that my application has been received. The file was transferred to Sydney two weeks ago. BUT...in the email it says the file was received the same day our application arrived in Mississauga, a little over two months ago. I'm taking this to mean that the file just arrived in Sydney. Did anyone get a similar email from Sydney soon after their file was transferred?
Hey KiwiCanuck, we just received the same type of email, its looks like it might be sent from Mississuaga though as the email address is cic.gc.ca? But I'm presuming that this is to say that Sydney has received the file. Have you had any other update from Sydney? E-cas now says "medical results received" but still "application received".

kiwicanuck

Star Member
Dec 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2011
File Transfer...
25-01-2012
Med's Done....
26-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2012
LANDED..........
18-03-2012
Irenz said:
Hey KiwiCanuck, we just received the same type of email, its looks like it might be sent from Mississuaga though as the email address is cic.gc.ca? But I'm presuming that this is to say that Sydney has received the file. Have you had any other update from Sydney? E-cas now says "medical results received" but still "application received".
Hi Irenz,
Yes soon after sponsorship approval we had the same update as you, showing that the medical results were received.
I just checked now and we have another update, from 'Application Received' to 'In Process'!! Then when I clicked on that, it said:

'We received [my name]'s application for permanent residence on December 2, 2011.
We started processing [my name]'s application on February 20, 2012.
Medical results have been received.'

Hopefully you see the same thing soon! :)

Irenz

Dec 4, 2011
New Zealand
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-12-2011
AOR Received.
12-01-2012
File Transfer...
09-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
01-03-2012
Wow thats so quick!! Keep me updated whether you get a PPR or just COPR? Yours is the only other one I can see thats going through Sydney and around the same time as me so I'll be expecting mine about 2 weeks after you! Good luck!! ;D