+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

thoughts on quitting a job while in the middle of sponsorship

gtd1986

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
Hey everyone. I'm sponsoring my wife who is currently in China and i'm here in Canada. We applied in July and haven't heard anything since, until today i called the hotline and spoke to someone who said that our application has been received but not yet assigned to an officer yet. Good news i suppose??

Anyways, my question relates to this: My wife is still working at the school we first met at, in a city not close at all to her home-town (or even province). As we anticipate her sponsorship and inevitable move to Canada, she would prefer to spend as much time with her parents before leaving China as she can. In addition, she hates her job as she is over-worked and underpaid and it's a pretty toxic environment for the Chinese staff (I've seen it first-hand). She wants to quit, but naturally we both think it might make her look bad as she will be unemployed or at the minimum, not have the same job as what's on all our applications etc. Are we over-analyzing this? Would IRCC think she can't hold a stable job? She has worked there for more than 3 years and she is only 26.
Or, would IRCC recognize that she wants to be with her family knowing that she likely won't be able to see them as much in the future?

What do you guys think? Has anyone had experience with something like this before? She's been wanting to leave for over a year now but has been sticking it out.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
She's not applying for a TRV (but to be sponsored by husband in Canada), so it would not look bad even if she is unemployed. It's up to your wife if she wants to be with her parents in the hometown.

johnny1186

Jul 8, 2020
Your wife doesn't need to worry about her job or finance, you as the sponsor do and that's your main concern.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
What do you guys think? Has anyone had experience with something like this before? She's been wanting to leave for over a year now but has been sticking it out.
They do not care about your spouse's employment, basically, for family sponsorship.

Note, if she wants to apply for a visitor's visa before approved for permanent residency, in that context it would be a negative. If she is okay waiting out the (possibly lengthy) processing period at home, no issue.

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
Hey everyone. I'm sponsoring my wife who is currently in China and i'm here in Canada. We applied in July and haven't heard anything since, until today i called the hotline and spoke to someone who said that our application has been received but not yet assigned to an officer yet. Good news i suppose??

Anyways, my question relates to this: My wife is still working at the school we first met at, in a city not close at all to her home-town (or even province). As we anticipate her sponsorship and inevitable move to Canada, she would prefer to spend as much time with her parents before leaving China as she can. In addition, she hates her job as she is over-worked and underpaid and it's a pretty toxic environment for the Chinese staff (I've seen it first-hand). She wants to quit, but naturally we both think it might make her look bad as she will be unemployed or at the minimum, not have the same job as what's on all our applications etc. Are we over-analyzing this? Would IRCC think she can't hold a stable job? She has worked there for more than 3 years and she is only 26.
Or, would IRCC recognize that she wants to be with her family knowing that she likely won't be able to see them as much in the future?

You're thinking too much.
Working in a toxic environment is not healthy especially when far from home/family and I wouldn't consider what IRCC thinks regarding your own
personal well-being. Remember this is just a process ( long process ) and they are probably not too concerned about her holding a stable job since
you are sponsoring her. If she is able to come here in the future it's not difficult to book flights back to visit family.
Well maybe not such a good time now!

gtd1986

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
Thanks everyone for the advice. And you're right, i am over-thinking it! You should have seen me when i was working on the application! Over-analyzing EVERYTHING! My will be so happy to hear this info.
Good luck to everyone in their journeys, no matter how long or stressful they may be!