+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The tale of a Self-employed (Ltd. company) and without a salary in Express Entry | Morocco

benkimah

Jul 20, 2021
Morocco
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hi everyone, greetings from Morocco, i'm struggling with a little ( BIG ) issue regarding my EE profile, i have reached the services of an immigration office, but i'm hesitating a bit to trust their good faith regarding my EE profile.

My ~ simulated CRS SCORE : 520+ ( 470 without TEF )
+
WES ECA in Masters' degree in Advertising Design > NOC 5241 Graphic designer & illustrator
+ IELTS : 7 in Writing & Speaking, 8 in Listening, 9 in Reading ( CLB 9 )
+
TEF : coming soon, i will pass an exam on the 27th of July ( i'm a native french speaker )
+
Work Experience : 2 Years + ( bear with me... )
+
A relative in Canada
+ Single, 29 yo
+ Proof of found ready to be wired on my account ( letter of donation )

The bad :

i've worked many years as a self employed, as a Graphic Designer, Photographer and Filmmaker, many times paid in an informal way due to the reality of employment in our country, and still the case today in some situations, i've made that stupid decision to be on my own.
I've a sense of entrepreneurship that failed me since, I've partnered 4 times, informally and i can hardly prove my pasts experiences, i've learned to accept that faith since.

The good :

I launched my own company ( sole owner ) created in Q4 2019, and i'm trying to manage & do my best, i've made 30 invoices so far ( with a total of ~ 23.000 CAD ).
I'm under contract with a school, the same i attended for my studies, i have 2-4 hours a week for a whole year as a photography & filmmaking teacher.
I have one client who's invoices are made via PayPal, for video editing, motion design & website design, not related to my company but to me as a Freelancer.

My problem, in a nutshell :

1 - Many NOC related to work duties.

How am I supposed to explain that mess, i work in different fields, some of which exclude each others :
5241 – Graphic designers and illustrators ( Main occupation according to my ECA )
5221 – Photographers ( many projects with all the job duties )
5222 – Film and video camera operators ( Director of photography duties )
5131 – Producers, directors, choreographers and related occupations ( Filmmaker duties )
4011 – University professors and lecturers ( exclusively for Bachelors' students )

2 - I have no salary and i use the profits as they come along

It's not that i don't want a salary, but i cant, even with all the profits i'm obliged to go that route with COVID not giving me enough work on my plate, i used to work mainly in events and for events, and i really feel bad regarding that situation. My books are well managed, taxes paid, everything is good in that regard.

3 - Recommendation letters from long lost clients & informal works prior to 2019
Regarding the consistency of my accounting books & my web portfolio, some informal works are present there while some formal aren't.
Moreover I've cut the cords with some bad clients who finally paid me formally ( low or late payments & so frustrating to work with ) and i don't wait for them to be so cooperative, that last one is a bit pushed to the extreme, but yes it's the sad truth, sometimes you simply loose contact or trust in future collaboration.
I might have a total of 15 formal clients, 5 of which would be pleased to give a recommendation & detailed job letter.

NOC Solution ? For sure i forget about the years before Q4 2019, and think ahead of that date

Work & NOC • Option 1 : Give all the NOC as a part-time job, with hours divided accordingly on the two years ?

NOC 1 : 2019 - today | 15 hours
NOC 2 : 2019 - today | 5 hours
NOC 3 : 2019 - today | 5 hours
NOC 4 : 2019 - today | 5 hours
NOC 5 : 2019 - today | 4 hours

- OR -

Work & NOC • Option 2 : My main activity as listed in the NOC database is kinda multidisciplinary ( 5241 ) is that enough of an argument to show off my other talents ?

+ Full-time job ( 30+ hours )
+ Assuming they will have a look at my studies transcript they will find courses in Photography and Filmmaking
+ That was the advice given to me from my local Immigration office, but they had a hiccup when i told them i had no salary

NDLR FOR REF. ONLY FROM NOC DATABASE & DUTIES
___________________________________________________________________________________

Graphic designers

• Use existing photo ..... or hire an illustrator or photographer* to produce images that meet clients' communications needs
  • Establish guidelines for illustrators or photographers
  • Co-ordinate all aspects of production for print, audio-visual or electronic materials, such as Web sites, CDs and interactive terminals
  • Co-ordinate sub-contracting
  • Work in a multidisciplinary environment *
  • Supervise other graphic designers or graphic arts technicians.
Employment requirements
  • Creative ability and artistic talent, as demonstrated by a portfolio of work, are required for graphic designers and illustrators. ( I have that, website & offline )
___________________________________________________________________________________

RECAP \ FINAL SOLUTIONS :

EE PROFILE OPTION 1 : GO CRAZY WITHOUT A REMORSE !
+ WORK & NOC Option 1 ( all NOC on the same duration )
+ 5 clients are enough to justify my work duties.
+ I don't have to fear the salary issue go ahead with it.

- Or -

EE PROFILE OPTION 2 : GO AHEAD WITH IT AS IT IS RECOMMENDED !
+ WORK & NOC Option 2 ( One NOC, many job duties )
+ 5 clients are enough to justify my work duties.
+ I don't have to fear the salary issue go ahead with it.

- Or -

EE PROFILE OPTION 3 : BEST OF BOTH WORLDS AND WAIT ONE MORE YEAR
+ WORK & NOC Option 2 ( One NOC, many job duties )
+ 5 or + clients are enough to justify my duties.
+ Try to get myself a salary for one year and go ahead with the EE.

Do's and dont's :
+ DIY, no need to pay fees for the immigration office i can confidently do it on my own.
- OR -
+ Go ahead with the immigration office ( 1200 $CAD their total fees ) i might need them on this one.

Please bear with me, i'm done waiting, i really need to move on and go ahead with my life projects, but i really don't want to be overthinking my EE,
hopefully the FSW draws will get back soon, Canada in opening soon on September 7th that's good news.

I really hope the best for everyone, and hopefully my case might help others in the same situation, so don't hesitate to tell me to drop the two first options if necessary.

Thank again, good luck everyone !

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
I don't think you need a consultant but then I also think you are over complicating your situation. Your job experience proof is not supposed to be your resume where you show everything that you have done. Your objective is to show to IRCC that you are a skilled worker and you got paid for the work you did. Your NOC and ECA doesn't need to match unless your education is critical for your profession. For example you can't claim to be a doctor if your degree is in Philosophy. But a person with degree in philosophy could be a photographer or a software developer, if they did that work and got paid for it.

In your situation just pick one NOC out of those you mentioned for which you can get the best proof of experience as possible. Here is what is needed for a self employed person https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html

if the applicant is self-employed, articles of incorporation or other evidence of business ownership, evidence of self-employment income and documentation from third-party individuals indicating the service provided along with payment details (self-declared main duties or affidavits are not acceptable proof of self-employed work experience).

There is no question of salary if you are self employed. You need to prove you owned a business, you had clients and you got paid for your work. Keep it as simple as possible.

benkimah

Jul 20, 2021
Morocco
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Thanks a lot @cansha, of course I might complicate stuff.
But I’ve my fears regarding my annual profits overall and the way to proof everything. The DIY route seems not so forgiving for a first timer even if I have a good CRS score.
I’ll take my courage at hand and go ahead with it. Thanks again !

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Thanks a lot @cansha, of course I might complicate stuff.
But I’ve my fears regarding my annual profits overall and the way to proof everything. The DIY route seems not so forgiving for a first timer even if I have a good CRS score.
I’ll take my courage at hand and go ahead with it. Thanks again !
yeah you're way over complicating things. keep it simple.