+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

THE "COMMON-LAW-PARTNER"

dorz

Aug 1, 2008
HELLO EVERYONE AM JUST NEW HERE IN CANADA VIA CAREGIVER ROUTE AND AM ABOUT TO COMPLETE MY 24-MONTH STAY HERE, SO OBVIOUSLY I WOULD QUALIFY FOR THE PR APPLICATION IN A BIT HERE. WHAT I AM CONFUSED WITH IS THE CHANCE FOR MY BOYFRIEND TO JOIN WITH ME HERE. ACTUALLY, HE IS THE FATHER OF MY TWO KIDS AND WE HAVE BEEN LIVING TOGETHER, AND NOT MARRIED FOR 17-LONG YEARS. I JUST DONT KNOW IF WE COULD AVAIL THE "COMMON- LAW-PARTNER" KNOWING THAT HE IS IN THE PHILIPPINES YET, TAKING CARE OF OUR CHILDREN....OR IS THAT LAW APPLICABLE ONLY TO THOSE COUPLE LIVING TOGETHER ANYWHERE WITHIN CANADA TERRITORY?.PLEASE, PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP ME?.........AM GETTING FRUSTRATED!THANKS AND GOD BLESS!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
First you need to get your PR, then you can sponsor your boyfriend and kids. It might be easier if you married him. Would that be a problem for you?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

dorz said:
HELLO EVERYONE AM JUST NEW HERE IN CANADA VIA CAREGIVER ROUTE AND AM ABOUT TO COMPLETE MY 24-MONTH STAY HERE, SO OBVIOUSLY I WOULD QUALIFY FOR THE PR APPLICATION IN A BIT HERE. WHAT I AM CONFUSED WITH IS THE CHANCE FOR MY BOYFRIEND TO JOIN WITH ME HERE. ACTUALLY, HE IS THE FATHER OF MY TWO KIDS AND WE HAVE BEEN LIVING TOGETHER, AND NOT MARRIED FOR 17-LONG YEARS. I JUST DONT KNOW IF WE COULD AVAIL THE "COMMON- LAW-PARTNER" KNOWING THAT HE IS IN THE PHILIPPINES YET, TAKING CARE OF OUR CHILDREN....OR IS THAT LAW APPLICABLE ONLY TO THOSE COUPLE LIVING TOGETHER ANYWHERE WITHIN CANADA TERRITORY?.PLEASE, PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP ME?.........AM GETTING FRUSTRATED!THANKS AND GOD BLESS!
The problem is that you now have been separated for 2 years, so although you lived together for 17 years, the c/law time is now broken. I hope that you mentioned him and the children in work permit application, and included the iMM 5409 declaration of c/law union.

PMM

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
Actually not necessarily,If she can document that they maintained joint bank accounts,common ownership of property and she documented that she sent money to him regularly etc,she still has a case that the relationship is continuing

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

BCguy said:
Actually not necessarily,If she can document that they maintained joint bank accounts,common ownership of property and she documented that she sent money to him regularly etc,she still has a case that the relationship is continuing
You may wish to read this form the CIC site:

Common-law partner

You are a common-law partner—either of the opposite sex or same sex—if:

* you have been living together in a conjugal relationship for at least one year in a continuous 12-month period that was not interrupted. (You are allowed short absences for business travel or family reasons, however.)

You will need proof that you and your common-law partner have combined your affairs and set up a household together. This can be in the form of:

* joint bank accounts or credit cards
* joint ownership of a home
* joint residential leases
* joint rental receipts
* joint utilities (electricity, gas, telephone)
* joint management of household expenses
* proof of joint purchases, especially for household items or
* mail addressed to either person or both people at the same address.

dorz

Aug 1, 2008
THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS FOR A VERY FRUITFUL INFORMATION ! AND TO PMM, YES YOU ARE RIGHT, I AM REGULARLY SENDING MONEY TO HIM ESPECIALLY FOR THE KIDS TUITION FEES VIA WESTERN UNION AND I AM KEEPING ALL MY RECEIPTS IN EACH AND EVERY TRANSACTION.

AND WITH THAT HIGHLIGHT YOU'VE PICKED FROM CIC, I WOULD LIKE TO UNDERSTAND THAT A YEAR OF UNINTERRUPTED "LIVING-TOGETHER" IS BUT THE VERY BASIC IN QUALIFYING FOR THE "COMMON LAW"....PLUS OF COURSE THE NECESSARY ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS....SO, DOES THIS MEAN TO SAY THEN THAT PRESENT LOCATION DOESNT REALLY MATTER? COZ WHAT I WAS FEARING FROM BEING DENIED WAS THE FACT THAT HE IS IN THE PHILIPPINES AND I GOT A FRIEND WHO TOLD ME THAT, THAT SAID LAW IS ONLY APPLICABLE AND DESIGNED TO THOSE LIVING TOGETHER ANYWHERE WITHIN CANADA LANDS! BUT WITH HOW YOU GUYS SOUNDED, LOOKS LIKE AM GOING TO HAVE A CHANCE, EY? THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH AND I ALWAYS LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING AND LEARNING MUCH MUCH MORE FROM YOU! GOD BLESS AND HAVE A GOOD DAY!

dorz

Aug 1, 2008
BCguy said:
BCGUY, THANK A LOT! YOUR WORDS REALLY GAVE ME SOME LIGHT ON MY DARK WAY....SO, WITH YOUR KNOWLEDGE YOU REALLY THINK WE COULD STILL QUALIFY IN THIS "COMMON-LAW" THINGY? COZ YOU ARE RIGHT, REGULARLY I AM SENDING MONEY TO MY FAMILY AND THAT WOULD BE HIM AND THE KIDS COZ FOR US, WE ARE LIKE MARRIED ALREADY LESS THE WEDDING THOUGH.... AND I AM DETERMINED TO GET MY TWO KIDS AND THEIR FATHER ALL TOGETHER AT THE SAME TIME SHOULD TIME ALLOW ME TO DO IT!

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
No problem and I dont know what province you are in,But in case you are in BC,Send me a private message and I can help you,otherwise I wish you the best of luck.By the way Make sure you have the Birth Certificates and School Records that show the parentage of your kids.

dorz

Aug 1, 2008
BCguy said:
No problem and I dont know what province you are in,But in case you are in BC,Send me a private message and I can help you,otherwise I wish you the best of luck.By the way Make sure you have the Birth Certificates and School Records that show the parentage of your kids.
sorry for this very late response, 'twas a very busy month......anyways, am in Grande Prairie, Alberta kinda far from you but nevertheless, you helped me that much.......my inner appreciation for your effort..........God bless!