+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The best option to apply for citizenship?

Spcky99

Feb 17, 2013
Hi, I am TFW 16 months and have visa until 2015. I got pregnant 10 weeks ago and my fiancee is in my home country.
I wanted to apply for Skilled worker program and then for citizenship, but now Im afraid I have to do it earlier because I want my fiancee beside me.
What options we have?
1. Should I apply for Skilled worker and than bring him here as a sponsor?
2. Should we get him Open working visa and deal with staying here later?

I personally want to get everything done as soon as possible and stay here. Not to mention that my boss likes me a lot and is willing to support me.

Also I had questions regarding application for PR:
3. Are you allowed to change your title from original what you got visa for?
I will start with course for different field in May and would like to change my occupation?
4. What do I need to do in order to change it?
5. What about earnings? They wont be same eighter?
6. Do they even check that part when you apply for PR? How much you've earned? And payed taxes?

7. I called Service Center Canada and operatir told me that I, as a TFW, am not eligible for governmental child benefits when baby is born? Here I read that I am. Do you have link where I can find Im eligible even if Im not canadian citizen?

8. If with 55% of IE while on maternity and as still single, until my fiancee comes, Im nit able to support myself and pay apartment, can I receive any other benefit? What about when baby is born?

9. If I find that its better to go home or to BC fir instance because I have friends there, first year before I start working again and be able to support baby and me, can I go home or to BC for few months up to 1 year, and get IE? Would I and baby have medical from Ontario in Vancouver?

10. Is there any other option how To bring my fiancee here?
I need him! Im all alone :(

Your answer is much appreciated.

Thank you!

Spcky99

Feb 17, 2013
We have talked to a lawyer in my home country and he advised to imigrate together from there. This dies not have any sence to me because Im already here.
I think that I should solve my status first and than bring him. Do you think same? Or this lawyer is right?
Please assist!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Are you common law? Have you at any point lived with your fiance for one year or more?

pkakula

Jan 23, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july 2009
Doc's Request.
sep 2009
AOR Received.
nov 2nd 2009
File Transfer...
sep 9th 2009
Med's Request
feb 01 2010
Med's Done....
feb 8th 2010
Passport Req..
feb 1st 2010
VISA ISSUED...
STATUS CHANGED TO DECISION MADE ON JULY 1ST
LANDED..........
july 21st 2010.
If you are a temporary foriegn worker .Here is what i suggest do to

---Apply for ur husband open work permit .Get him to come here and ask him to find some job.
--You will still have challenges like how to deal with your pregnancy and some body needs to be there to support you while ur husband
works here.
----Do not apply for Skilled worker and dont rush at things.
---Apply under CEC which will be easier for u to immigrate.

No
Nothing just continue working and get ur husband here .
I am not claer about ur question.
6. Do they even check that part when you apply for PR? How much you've earned? And payed taxes?
Yes.

7. I called Service Center Canada and operatir told me that I, as a TFW, am not eligible for governmental child benefits when baby is born? Here I read that I am. Do you have link where I can find Im eligible even if Im not canadian citizen?

no u will not be eligible for any benifits.

8. If with 55% of IE while on maternity and as still single, until my fiancee comes, Im nit able to support myself and pay apartment, can I receive any other benefit? What about when baby is born?

no.

9. If I find that its better to go home or to BC fir instance because I have friends there, first year before I start working again and be able to support baby and me, can I go home or to BC for few months up to 1 year, and get IE? Would I and baby have medical from Ontario in Vancouver?

You can go to BC if you have friends who can support u .
I need him! Im all alone

You need to apply for his visa immediately now thats the first step u have to do.
Incase if ur husband can not come now due to visa issue just get back to your home country.

Good luck !

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
pkakula said:
If you are a temporary foriegn worker .Here is what i suggest do to

---Apply for ur husband open work permit .Get him to come here and ask him to find some job.
Except they aren't married yet. If they are common law, then he can still qualify for the open work permit. However if he's just her fiance, the open work permit isn't an option. They would have to get married first.

pkakula

Jan 23, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july 2009
Doc's Request.
sep 2009
AOR Received.
nov 2nd 2009
File Transfer...
sep 9th 2009
Med's Request
feb 01 2010
Med's Done....
feb 8th 2010
Passport Req..
feb 1st 2010
VISA ISSUED...
STATUS CHANGED TO DECISION MADE ON JULY 1ST
LANDED..........
july 21st 2010.
scylla said:
Except they aren't married yet. If they are common law, then he can still qualify for the open work permit. However if he's just her fiance, the open work permit isn't an option. They would have to get married first.
I agree ...

Spcky99

Feb 17, 2013
scylla said:
Are you common law? Have you at any point lived with your fiance for one year or more?
Yes, we are common law, but were not lived together because he got devlined twice for visitor visa and we didnt have condutions to do that back home. We've been together for 5 yearsand since Jm here we have seen each other twice: in brussels and paris (where we got pregnant).
Thanks so much for your help!

Intel

Star Member
Jun 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
2005-09
Med's Request
2009-08
Med's Done....
2009-10
Passport Req..
2010-05
VISA ISSUED...
2010-06
LANDED..........
2010-07
It is not necessary to be a Canadian citizen or a PR to receive child benefits. As a temporary resident, if you already lived in Canada for 19 months by your due date and still carry a valid permit, then you will be eligible to apply for CCTB (Canada Child Tax Benefit) once your baby is born and lives with you. However, the CCTB amount you will receive will depend on your reported income.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/cctb/fq_qlfyng-eng.html#q4

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Spcky99 said:
1. Should I apply for Skilled worker and than bring him here as a sponsor?
2. Should we get him Open working visa and deal with staying here later?

You should apply both. First marry the guy and apply for his open work permit. Then apply for skilled worker or some other program that you qualify under and include him on your application. The PR will take a while so the fastest way to get him over is open work permit.

Also I had questions regarding application for PR:
I will start with course for different field in May and would like to change my occupation?

You mean your job title? The conditions of your work permit is that it is only good for the employer, location and position it's issued for. The employer can move you around internally as long as nobody knows but strictly speaking, he should get a new LMO for your new position and you should apply for a new work permit for that position.

If your employer is paying you more than the job contract or LMO stipulates, that's fine. They are just not allowed to pay you less.

For EI maternity benefits, as far as I know, you just have to have worked 600 hrs. to qualify. For Child tax benefit, you need to have been in the country for 18 months if you are a TFW. For EI check http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/types/maternity_parental.shtml#eligible if you see anywhere that it says you must be a PR or a citizen. Go to Service Canada and ask them to see the regulations where it says you can't get it. See what they say. You can find Canada child tax benefit here: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/cctb/menu-eng.html

You get Canada child tax benefit as well. I don't think you are eligible for anything else.

According to http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/types/maternity_parental.shtml you are allowed to leave Canada while you are on maternity benefits but you must inform them. If your baby is born outside Canada, you will have to get a TRV for it and in order to get child tax benefits, since you left for some months in between, I do not know if they would consider your prior 18 month stay to qualify or if you would have to stay for 18 months again before you would get it. If you are outside Ontario for more than 6 months, you lose your OHIP and will have to apply for it again when you come back. Because you are a TFW you might even lose it sooner. You should talk to OHIP about that. If you are going to BC for more than 6 months, you should apply for BC health which you would get after 3 months, however, because you are a TFW and your job is in ON, BC might not accept your application. The best thing for you would be to talk to OHIP before you leave as to how long you can stay outside ON as a TFW without losing your OHIP. Get it in writing. Then make sure you don't leave ON for longer than they specify.

I need him! Im all alone :(

Get married and apply for open work permit.

Spcky99

Feb 17, 2013
Thanks so much for your reply! You helped a lot!

Can you please explain one more thing: The difference between CEC and Skilled worker?

Thank you once again!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Spcky99 said:
Thanks so much for your reply! You helped a lot!

Can you please explain one more thing: The difference between CEC and Skilled worker?

Thank you once again!
If you apply under skilled worker (FSW), you must have a skilled job offer (AEO) or LMO and work permit if you are already in Canada. You must meet the requirements of a points system, points given for your education, language, adaptability etc.

CEC does not have a points system. It requires that you have done a skilled job for 1 year, full time and that you pass IELTS or CELPIP to prove your language skills.

If you have both options, I would recommend CEC because it is a simpler qualification process and even if something happens, you are laid off and lose your work permit and return home, you are still eligible for CEC based on already having worked for a year and your application will continue to get processed while your skilled worker application is based on a job offer and can not continue if the job offer is gone.

The processing time for skilled worker is also often longer than for CEC. CEC is currently 13 months and FSW varies by visa office, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-ec.asp

Spcky99

Feb 17, 2013
Thank you Leon! I appreciate your help!

Do you think it would be easier to apply for CEC as a single and than bring my fiancee, of ourse as a husband?
It will prolong his arrival, Im aware, but it just crossed my mind. If its easier and better to apply as a single parent, than I would go for that.

Again, I appreciate your oppinion.

Thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Spcky99 said:
Thank you Leon! I appreciate your help!

Do you think it would be easier to apply for CEC as a single and than bring my fiancee, of ourse as a husband?
It will prolong his arrival, Im aware, but it just crossed my mind. If its easier and better to apply as a single parent, than I would go for that.

Again, I appreciate your oppinion.

Thanks!
I don't see any benefits in delaying the marriage for you to apply under CEC as a single person. You realize that since you do not qualify as common law, you can not bring him on an open work permit unless you are married and if you marry him during your PR processing, you would have to add him to your application.

If you would delay the marriage until after you get PR, you would not be eligible to bring him over on an open work permit any more. A TFW or a student is eligible to bring their spouse on an open permit while a PR must sponsor their spouse for PR instead. PR sponsorship can possibly take a long time, depends on where he is from.

Spcky99

Feb 17, 2013
I understand, its totally different procedure to bring him while in process of applying for CEC and as PR.
I thought that as PR is more secure, but basically what you're saying is that we would loose on time only and get same result. Am I right?
If I get approved under CEC and with him, as my husband, included in application, what is our status than? Are we becoming PR's? Is anything else needed?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Spcky99 said:
I understand, its totally different procedure to bring him while in process of applying for CEC and as PR.
I thought that as PR is more secure, but basically what you're saying is that we would loose on time only and get same result. Am I right?
If I get approved under CEC and with him, as my husband, included in application, what is our status than? Are we becoming PR's? Is anything else needed?
Like I said in my reply to you, you should apply for both, open work permit and CEC. The open work permit will allow him to join you now instead of waiting for a year or more. Your status will then be TFW and spouse of a TFW. Of course you must marry him first.

In order to stay in Canada you need to get your PR so you apply for PR under CEC. If you include him in your application, you are both in the process of becoming PR's. You will get your PR visas at the same time and can land as PR's at the same time but the processing time is currently around 13 months for this.

The steps you take are like this: 1) get married, 2) apply for open work permit for him and wait until he joins you, 3) apply for PR for you both under CEC.

The reason is, you must get married first, otherwise you can not include him or apply for anything for him. Second, you apply for his work permit first because a condition of a work permit is staying temporarily, it may be harder to get a work permit if you have already applied for PR. 3rd, after you are married, you got his work permit and he is with you, go ahead and apply for PR for both.