+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Test Completed But BACKGROUND CHECK in progress.

ta123

Star Member
Sep 14, 2023
BG passed a few weeks ago. The total wait time from AoR is around 13.5 month for me.

I applied GCMS notes from both CBSA and CSIS in the 8th or 9th month, but the result generally just says the background check is still ongoing and provides no useful information.

I think I read it in this forum that the most frequent issue in citizenship application is the physical presence, not the background check. I would say don’t worry about background check. It just needs some time (13-14 months now) for them to finish what they have to do.
You know what is my biggest fear? That I pass the background check and then they refuse my application after over a year of failing because of miscalculation in the Physical Presence :D I have checked it multiple times but I am still terrified!!!! That should be the very first step in my opinion!

unsure dream

Star Member
Feb 12, 2017
You know what is my biggest fear? That I pass the background check and then they refuse my application after over a year of failing because of miscalculation in the Physical Presence :D I have checked it multiple times but I am still terrified!!!! That should be the very first step in my opinion!
dont worry about physical presence, they check it at the time of application before issuing AOR

Ali.arshady

Star Member
Nov 27, 2023
Hey Everyone

i have noticed that so many people still struggling with BG which is insane. i have been waiting for BG verification since March 2024 ( not that long as per to some of you guys). i have the exact experience when i applied for Student visa and PR. it took me almost 8 month to get the student visa and almost same time for PR approval. i was hoping not going through this hassle this time for Citizenship. sign shows I'm in the limbo as i have passed the test and no movement since then. hope seeing lights at the end of the tunnel as its really frustrating.

Applied Jan 21 , 2024
test completed March 14th

living in Canada since 2018 ( did not leave the country )

jupi_am98

May 2, 2024
Submitted March 2023,
BG A1: Criminality, Passed on May
BG A2: Still security is in progress - Started on May 2023
Anyone know how many months this long SS takes these days?

ta123

Star Member
Sep 14, 2023
Submitted March 2023,
BG A1: Criminality, Passed on May
BG A2: Still security is in progress - Started on May 2023
Anyone know how many months this long SS takes these days?
I have read that people say these days it takes 13 months :| I hope it is less ... But I am also getting closer and closer to that. So maybe it is true! Who knows!!

ta123

Star Member
Sep 14, 2023
Yesterday market one year anniversary since I submitted my application. It kind of feels terrible. I have been told that the reason I am doing through this type of background check is due to my nationality and my field of study (speculation from others I guess). What are your thoughts on this?

GFLiam

Nov 29, 2016
Yesterday market one year anniversary since I submitted my application. It kind of feels terrible. I have been told that the reason I am doing through this type of background check is due to my nationality and my field of study (speculation from others I guess). What are your thoughts on this?
I mean if they felt safe enough to grant you permanent residency, I am not sure why citizenship is all of a sudden a security risk

• Love
Reactions: ta123

ta123

Star Member
Sep 14, 2023
I mean if they felt safe enough to grant you permanent residency, I am not sure why citizenship is all of a sudden a security risk
EXACTLY my thoughts!! I have been in this country for 11 years. All of a sudden, they decide to do super enhanced security check on me? What is going on lol

Graykoala

Star Member
Aug 14, 2019
A
Are you a PhD. Just my observation that IRCC doesn’t like applicants working in the research fields :D. They want them to go through enhanced security screening. I am also almost at one year mark now. I work in R&D. My PR application was also stuck on BG check and now citizenship again. After going through this experience the entire joy of calling myself a canadian is ruined. It’s a waiting game now whenever they decide to approve the application. While people who applied in 2024 are already citizens. I could understand when there wasn’t much approval time difference between routine and non-routine applications. But approving someone within 3 months and make the other applicants wait 3 years is just ridiculous.

ta123

Star Member
Sep 14, 2023
A

Are you a PhD. Just my observation that IRCC doesn’t like applicants working in the research fields :D. They want them to go through enhanced security screening. I am also almost at one year mark now. I work in R&D. My PR application was also stuck on BG check and now citizenship again. After going through this experience the entire joy of calling myself a canadian is ruined. It’s a waiting game now whenever they decide to approve the application. While people who applied in 2024 are already citizens. I could understand when there wasn’t much approval time difference between routine and non-routine applications. But approving someone within 3 months and make the other applicants wait 3 years is just ridiculous.
Yes, OK for context I have a PhD in Subatomic Physics and I am from Iran. But I am not working in that field anymore. Same here. Every stage has been a pain the a** since the beginning. Are we being punished? It is ridiculous.

Reactions: Graykoala

MajidA

Jan 8, 2021
Yes, OK for context I have a PhD in Subatomic Physics and I am from Iran. But I am not working in that field anymore. Same here. Every stage has been a pain the a** since the beginning. Are we being punished? It is ridiculous.
Hey, I'm also from Iran and have a PhD, been waiting for my BG since last October. I have no idea what their selection criteria is for security check. My work made me apply for a US visa (which I was obviously refused) and I thought that might be the reason, then I saw people with green card application getting their citizenship in 4 months. I know an Iranian phd guy who works in nuclear and got his citizenship in 3 months.

• Wow
Reactions: ta123