+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary Medical Insurance

Mar 15, 2009
I'm a Canadian and have been in the US for about 8 years. My American husband and I plan to move back to BC this summer. He'll have PR status. I've read that there's a wait period of about 3 month before either of us are eligible for BC medical coverage. I'm healthy as a horse, but my husband is a Type I diabetic. It's pretty well managed, but we don't want to take the risk of not having coverage even for a few months with his condition.

Any suggestions on temporary medical insurance? Are there Canadian companies that we can work with, or should I look for something in the States? Thanks!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

joyfullycanadian said:
I'm a Canadian and have been in the US for about 8 years. My American husband and I plan to move back to BC this summer. He'll have PR status. I've read that there's a wait period of about 3 month before either of us are eligible for BC medical coverage. I'm healthy as a horse, but my husband is a Type I diabetic. It's pretty well managed, but we don't want to take the risk of not having coverage even for a few months with his condition.

Any suggestions on temporary medical insurance? Are there Canadian companies that we can work with, or should I look for something in the States? Thanks!
Your spouse may have problems as few, if any private medical plans will cover complications from an existing condition. You may want to try bluecross http://www.bluecross.ca/travelinsurance.html

PMM

lbw

Nov 26, 2008
My partner has type 2 diabetes and has coverage while awaiting his PR. I know you will be in BC, but I have a lady in Ontario who we have dealt with as someone has stated, it is difficult to get coverage with a pre existing condition. Be careful as some companies were willing to take our money, but I then found out any problems relating to the diabetes would not be covered. You could always email my contact and explain your situation, she may be able to pass on the name of a company in BC. Her email is victoria@kinnelltravel.com
By the way, just looked up our documents and the head office for Travel Underwriters is in Richmond BC - Telephone 604 276 9900 or Toll free number 1 800 663 5389 or info@travelunderwriters.com
Hope this helps.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
In fact I also did post a topic similar to this to seek the assistance of members regarding a reliable medical Insurance. I found one which can be checked :

Mr. Dan Pucher
Phone 705-495-3497

Toll free in Canada and the USA 1-877-877-9458

www.pucherinsurance.com

Mar 15, 2009
Mr. Pucher was extremely helpful and the coverage (emergency only) was quite reasonable. They do cover preexisting conditions provided the condition is stable.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I too checked many other but this one seems reasonable. Claim is allowed for drugs prescribed and purchased for one month. My parents are arriving for a short visit and I am also planning to insure them for a short term coverage during their stray and travel in Canada.