+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Teaching experience as a caregiver

LoveCrew

Aug 1, 2011
Dear all

Im an indonesian female and recently there is a family in canada who hire me and my lmo expired january 2012 I have a long way to go since I have to get my passport first and the family wants me there september this year

My question is I do not have caregiving experience. All I have is a year teaching experience with junior high scool kids, freelance courses to kids and volunteering for a month during college.

Does that count as an experience? What I should.do? And what kinda questions will they ask me at the embassy? Thank you

I have read a bit here but I still cant find answers to my.questions

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

LoveCrew said:
Dear all

Im an indonesian female and recently there is a family in canada who hire me and my lmo expired january 2012 I have a long way to go since I have to get my passport first and the family wants me there september this year

My question is I do not have caregiving experience. All I have is a year teaching experience with junior high scool kids, freelance courses to kids and volunteering for a month during college.

Does that count as an experience? What I should.do? And what kinda questions will they ask me at the embassy? Thank you

1. If you haven't had 1 years experience as a Live in Caregiver or have taken a 6 months course, your application will be refused. Teaching doesn't count. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/caregiver/index.asp

dna

Star Member
Aug 5, 2011
I didn't have any experience as a nanny when I applied for the work permit under the live in caregiver program but I had experience teaching in kindergarten and elementary school (grade 3) for several years. My work permit application was approved. I had my pay slips translated into English to prove that I had worked for a least a year and at least 6 months working continuosly for the same school. And I had my high school certificate translated. I had First Aid training certificate.
You need to bring along all the original papers (payslips and high school certificate) in your own language as well as the translated ones when the canadian embassy officer invites you for an interview. They will see how good your English skill is during the interview.

BOYZONE2

Feb 6, 2011
TORONTO,ONTARO
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
FEBRUARY 10,2010
Interview........
27-09-2012 CIC Etobicoke ,ON.
LANDED..........
27-09-2012 CIC Etobicoke,ON. Received PR CARD: 27-11-2012
LoveCrew said:
Dear all

May i know what will be your work in the family that hired you? if you will work as a nanny that has been classified in your lmo and contract then you are qualified if you will work as a live in caregiver taking care of handicapped,elderly,or terminally ill clients then you must have caregiving experienced and studied caregiver course.

Reactions: Sanya123

LoveCrew

Aug 1, 2011
i will work as a live in caregiver as the lmo said for a three year old girl. and yes i did work for junior high and supervised kindergarten and elementary as scheduled. the family expect their daughter to be taught that is why.

the problem is i never keep my payslips. i only have reference that is all.

BOYZONE2

Feb 6, 2011
TORONTO,ONTARO
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
FEBRUARY 10,2010
Interview........
LANDED..........
Read your job contract and work details regarding the three years old, if it does required only adult care supervision like a nanny job cooking,preparing meals,cleaning,dusting ,reading story books etc.,then you are qualified, but if the job requires any medical attention then you should have Caregiver, CPR and 1st Aid Training Certificates.

LoveCrew

Aug 1, 2011
i have read my contract. it is basic nanny job like reading stories, cleaning the house, laundry etc. no medical attention required...

BOYZONE2

Feb 6, 2011
TORONTO,ONTARO
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
FEBRUARY 10,2010
Interview........
LANDED..........
LoveCrew,

You are qualified to work as a live in caregiver! interview questions are sometimes based on your future employer, might be about taking care of the thee years old kid. Knowing how you speak and understand english language during your interview is much more important to the visa officer before you will get approval to work here in Canada.
Goodluck to your application and Interview!

LoveCrew

Aug 1, 2011
thank you sooo much for the help. i hav read and quite pessimistic after i read that teaching experience is not qualified but then you guys told me it is ok as long as i work as a nanny so now i am not so worried hehe.

by the way i am much concern about my medical exam too because i have notch in mu lungs due to my asthma bronchiale. will that be a problem? becaus they may think the thorax xray notch is a sign of inactive tuberculosis or something....

BOYZONE2

Feb 6, 2011
TORONTO,ONTARO
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
FEBRUARY 10,2010
Interview........
LANDED..........
Tell the doctor about your medical history so that it can be noted properly during your medical exam,otherwise It might cause problem regarding your your application.

dna

Star Member
Aug 5, 2011
LoveCrew said:
i have read my contract. it is basic nanny job like reading stories, cleaning the house, laundry etc. no medical attention required...
Based on my experience, the interviewer asked about some basic first aid knowledge. I think it will be good if you take first aid training for child care provider. The training usually only takes 2 days.
Since I didn't have any caregiver experience, I wrote a cover letter to show that some job duties that I had when I was teaching are related to the duties that I have to do as a live in caregiver (nanny), eg: reading stories, supervising students during break, preparing crafts, etc. Try to write as much as you can to convince the officer at the consulate/embassy that you are qualified for the job offered.
I would be happy to give more infos based on my experience.
May I know where you are from in Indonesia and where your job is going to be in Canada?
Make sure you bring all the documents required (original and copies) when you are invited for the interview.
Good luck with interview.

LoveCrew

Aug 1, 2011
i will ask my doctor to write my medical records that i am fully healed now. thank you :)

and i am from jakarta, the family lives in ontario. where to get the first aid training anyway? my mum works in hospital but it does not provide first aid training.

BOYZONE2

Feb 6, 2011
TORONTO,ONTARO
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
FEBRUARY 10,2010
Interview........
LANDED..........
LoveCrew said:
i will ask my doctor to write my medical records that i am fully healed now. thank you :)

and i am from jakarta, the family lives in ontario. where to get the first aid training anyway? my mum works in hospital but it does not provide first aid training.
KEMBALI... ;)

dna

Star Member
Aug 5, 2011
LoveCrew said:

Find information at International SOS Jakarta if the clinic opens first aid training for child care provider.