+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Teaching Assistant as Work Experience

cwjian90

Jun 11, 2015
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, I've completed an Express Entry profile but there are some ambiguities about my application that I hope some people can help me with here with their experience.

I wish to apply under the Canadian Experience Class, I graduated in 2012 from the University of Toronto with a BSc., and am now doing an MSc. at Bishop's University in Quebec (since 2013). I've been working for my thesis supervisor there as a teaching assistant. By CIC's definition of a full time student (15 hours of instruction/week), I am not a full-time student, but a part-time one. My university counts full-time/part-time status based on the number of credits, as opposed to instruction hours. Should I get a letter from my university registrar clarifying this to CIC?

I have a Post Graduation Work Permit along with a Study Permit that I got later on from within Canada, so as far as I can tell, my work experience will count if I am considered a part-time student by CIC.

I can also get pay stubs and a letter of employment from my supervisor, along with his reference letter, though I don't think he has filled out a T4 since the amount he pays me is below the taxation level.

Is that sufficient for CIC? Their call centre has not been very helpful so far.

Also, I received an invitation from the Ontario Human Capital Stream. Do they require the T4 or is the other evidence sufficient?

Thanks for any help

Any help

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
cwjian90 said:
By CIC's definition of a full time student (15 hours of instruction/week), I am not a full-time student, but a part-time one.

I have never seen this definition before, can you point out where you found it?

As far I know, CIC goes by whatever your registration status is - if you are registered as a full-time student at your institution, that is your status.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=855&t=6

I can also get pay stubs and a letter of employment from my supervisor, along with his reference letter, though I don't think he has filled out a T4 since the amount he pays me is below the taxation level.

The threshold is $500, so if you earned less than $500 for a year of full-time work, it would be difficult to consider this as skilled employment, more like volunteering.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/pyrll/rtrns/t4/slps/whn-eng.html

cwjian90

Jun 11, 2015
Hi,

It's in the CIC Help Centre's Glossary of terms, check under "Full-time study".

My funding/pay is $8000/year, it's part-time, and it technically goes towards tuition.

I also called Opportunities Ontario, and they said it counts for them.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
cwjian90 said:
Hi,

It's in the CIC Help Centre's Glossary of terms, check under "Full-time study".

It seems contradictory, but right below that entry, it also says:

Full time study status: Full time study status is determined by your educational institution (school). It is usually based on the number of classroom hours per week.

My funding/pay is $8000/year, it's part-time, and it technically goes towards tuition.

The point is, you would need a T4 or T4A. You would also need to document the number of hours per week you work.

I also called Opportunities Ontario, and they said it counts for them.

That's fine, but if your university considers you a full-time student, it will not count for CEC. And OO will happily take your money even if you don't qualify at the federal level.

It's your decision of course - but in my opinion your CEC application will be refused, they're very strict on the student thing.

Have you looked into Quebec Immigration? http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/students/stay-quebec/index.html

cwjian90

Jun 11, 2015
Hi jes_ON,

I can prove it with T4s and T4As, and with documentation from my supervisor. The main issue is whether they will accept it due to the whole full time/part time study thing, since that is based on what the institution says. I may be able to get the registrar to declare me part time for the purposes of immigration.

At worst, though, I could fall back on the FSWP criteria, though the proof of funds is another issue.

I have considered Quebec immigration, but based on my calculations, I don't think I have enough points unless I spend some time to take French up to the advanced-intermediate level.

kagaya

Star Member
Jan 13, 2014
Hello cwjian90,

I had similar situation to your case when I submitted my 1st CEC application. I was doing MSc as well and did have TA and RA paid (I had T4 for those period). Unfortunately, CIC refused my application since those experience was obtained when I was a full-time student. Most MSc programs are full-time even though I only took 1 class per term, 3h per week (Yes, only 3!), and I spent plenty of hours per week on research. CIC still consider me as full-time student and thus the RA and TA experience did not count for CEC. Make sure you check with your registrar office to see if you have registered at full-time or part-time. If you registered as part-time student, ask them to provide a letter (to support your case).

cwjian90

Jun 11, 2015
Ah, I'm sorry to hear that, kagaya. How did CIC know you were a full time student? I'm asking my registrar to provide a letter saying that CIC should consider me as a part time student due to the low instruction hours, and that they should count my work experience.

Worst comes to worst, there's always the FSWP, or CSQ for me...

them3ntor

Apr 20, 2018
Hello @jes_ON I have a question to this thread: TA's work only during the semesters (usually 20 hrs/week), not during the summer/winter vacations. Does it make them ineligible to apply since the CIC states that the work has to be continuous? Thanks.