+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Teacher in USA ---> moving to Canada

Nov 9, 2016
I am a US Citizen who is a certified high school teacher with 17 years of experience. I am looking to change jobs to a teaching job in Canada, and could use some advice as to the order in which I should proceed.

What is the order in which I should pursue the following?

* apply for reciprocity with my teaching certification (it's a different application process for each province, right?)
* apply for work visa for Canada
* secure a job offer from a school
* apply for visas for my family (wife and two school-age children)
* any other step I am unaware of?

I have tried to find out this info from the immigration website but it is a little confusing, so I would appreciate any help you could provide.

Thank you!

-D

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm afraid it's not good news for teachers. Canada has far more teachers than jobs. As a result, getting a job as a teacher without obtaining permanent residency first is pretty much impossible. In order for an employer to offer you a job, they first have to advertise the job for a month and prove no Canadians could be hired for the role. This is effectively impossible to do since we have so many teachers here.

I would recommend that you forget the work permit route - it's not going to happen.

Focus on applying to immigrate instead if you are really serious about coming here. Detailed information about Canada's immigration programs can be found here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/apply.asp

Once you are a permanent resident, getting a job as a teacher will be more feasible.

And yes - each province has slightly different rules regrading being certified to teach as a foreign trained teacher.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Oh - and you have things out of order in your post.

You need to secure a job before you can apply for a work permit. You can't apply for a work permit without a full time job.

DrGiGi

Nov 13, 2016
Interesting post. Like you, I am an American citizen with many years as an educator. I have a PhD in Education. I have three teens in high school (2 juniors/1 senior). I prefer them to attend University in Canada. I was in Peace Corps, so I value traveling and experiencing different cultures.

I am also reading and educating myself about professional opportunities for me and my husband. I prefer permanent residency status for my family and will pay a Canadian immigration lawyer instead of wasting time guessing the right options.

Do you have Special Education certification in the U.S.? I read it is very likely to get hired in that field throughout Canada. I also read teacher jobs do exist...you need to look beyond the big cities.

There is North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) since you are a professional...I am new but read more about it okay. My husband is a truck driver and has often crossed the Canadian border for his loads. So I am positive he can get a job in his field O-T-R truck driver. Stay encouraged. Keep in touch since both of us are seeking the same goal. :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
DrGiGi said:
Interesting post. Like you, I am an American citizen with many years as an educator. I have a PhD in Education. I have three teens in high school (2 juniors/1 senior). I prefer them to attend University in Canada. I was in Peace Corps, so I value traveling and experiencing different cultures.

I am also reading and educating myself about professional opportunities for me and my husband. I prefer permanent residency status for my family and will pay a Canadian immigration lawyer instead of wasting time guessing the right options.

Do you have Special Education certification in the U.S.? I read it is very likely to get hired in that field throughout Canada. I also read teacher jobs do exist...you need to look beyond the big cities.

There is North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) since you are a professional...I am new but read more about it okay. My husband is a truck driver and has often crossed the Canadian border for his loads. So I am positive he can get a job in his field O-T-R truck driver. Stay encouraged. Keep in touch since both of us are seeking the same goal.
A few comments:

- I have many friends who are teachers and a number who are in Special Education. The Special Education certificate does help (although not so much in the big/medium cities). All the same, getting PR first is a must. LMIAs and work permits are not issued for primary or secondary school teachers. As a result, it's really not feasible to obtain a job a primary or secondary school teacher as a foreign worker.
- If you are going with professional advice, make sure you go with a reputed immigration lawyer (not consultant). I would go with one located in Canada rather than the US. Expect to pay around $3K to $5k for this service.
- The dependent age for children is under 18. This means that if you want to include your oldest child in your PR application, that application must reach CIC before that child turns 19.
- NAFTA only covers some professions (not all professions). Only college / university teachers are on the list. Primary/secondary school teachers are not: http://www.international.gc.ca/trade-agreements-accords-commerciaux/agr-acc/nafta-alena/temp05-3.aspx?lang=en

DrGiGi

Nov 13, 2016
scylla said:
A few comments:

- I have many friends who are teachers and a number who are in Special Education. The Special Education certificate does help (although not so much in the big/medium cities). All the same, getting PR first is a must. LMIAs and work permits are not issued for primary or secondary school teachers. As a result, it's really not feasible to obtain a job a primary or secondary school teacher as a foreign worker.
- If you are going with professional advice, make sure you go with a reputed immigration lawyer (not consultant). I would go with one located in Canada rather than the US. Expect to pay around $3K to $5k for this service.
- The dependent age for children is under 18. This means that if you want to include your oldest child in your PR application, that application must reach CIC before that child turns 19.
- NAFTA only covers some professions (not all professions). Only college / university teachers are on the list. Primary/secondary school teachers are not:
I have a PHD...so eligible to teach at the university level. Yes. plenty of time before sons reach 19yrs. Thanks. Appreciated. Definitely know about lawyers. I am also a business woman who opened up two schools enrolling 800+ students. So I could apply for business route but have no interest. Already got some feedback from a University in Ottawa. Shall see. Open to returning to public classrooms if that will get me in. I see Cohen lawyer on this site but after two submits...no replies. I prefer to seek another CA that is not so busy. Appreciate your wisdom and experiences. Thanks.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
DrGiGi said:
I have a PHD...so eligible to teach at the university level. Yes. plenty of time before sons reach 19yrs. Thanks. Appreciated. Definitely know about lawyers. I am also a business woman who opened up two schools enrolling 800+ students. So I could apply for business route but have no interest. Already got some feedback from a University in Ottawa. Shall see. Open to returning to public classrooms if that will get me in. I see Cohen lawyer on this site but after two submits...no replies. I prefer to seek another CA that is not so busy. Appreciate your wisdom and experiences. Thanks.
If you can get a job offer then you don't need a lawyer, can pretty much DIY by following the checklist from cic website