+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax Return question for citizenship application

headingnorth

Star Member
Jun 4, 2018
Hi All

I am filling out my citizenship application and trying to answer a question related to tax returns and if i was required to file taxes.

Just for some background:
  • Softlanding in December 2018.
  • And then moved permanently in Q1 2021.
I have filed taxes for 2021,2022, 2023 since i had income.

For 2019 and 2020, i did not file since i did not live in canada then nor did i have any income during that time. Should i answer "Yes" or "No" to the question
"Were you required to file taxes for this year?"

Just trying to understand and make sure i answer correctly.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
For 2019 and 2020, i did not file since i did not live in canada then nor did i have any income during that time. Should i answer "Yes" or "No" to the question
"Were you required to file taxes for this year?"
While the answer is 'no' in your case, it is not because you had no income (not exactly), but because no income in Canada and you were (almost certainly) not tax resident in Canada then or before that.

Somewhat wordy answer because there may be those in different situations.

headingnorth

Star Member
Jun 4, 2018
While the answer is 'no' in your case, it is not because you had no income (not exactly), but because no income in Canada and you were (almost certainly) not tax resident in Canada then or before that.

Somewhat wordy answer because there may be those in different situations.
thank you. So i am still eligible right ?

GFLiam

Nov 29, 2016
There are a few things you need to watch out for when you need to determine if you were a resident for tax purposes from Dec 2018 to Q1 2021, such as do you possess a driver's licence, a provincial health card, bank accounts, property or a living dwelling that can be considered a home...etc.

headingnorth

Star Member
Jun 4, 2018
There are a few things you need to watch out for when you need to determine if you were a resident for tax purposes from Dec 2018 to Q1 2021, such as do you possess a driver's licence, a provincial health card, bank accounts, property or a living dwelling that can be considered a home...etc.
Hi GFLiam, I had none of this.