+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax Credits/Benefits (CWB) are they Social Assistance

Lolopizzo

Feb 1, 2020
Hi, I am sponsoring my husband and wondering if the CWB (Canada Workers Benefit) which is a refundable tax credit is considered social assistance. It was previously called the WITB (Workers income tax Benefit). I have always received this on my income tax due to the fact I have been a single parent and a waitress and I am considered lower income (I made $29,000 this year on my claim, and have two jobs, so I am not income less and the tax credit was $895). I don’t receive monthly payments for this so I didn’t think it was considered social assistance but now I am second guessing this.

We have already submitted all the paperwork for my husbands sponsorship file/open work visa and are just waiting, and of course said I the sponsor have never received social assistance. Which I thought was true but now I am second guessing it in regard to this tax credit.

If anybody knows that would be great. Thanks.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi, I am sponsoring my husband and wondering if the CWB (Canada Workers Benefit) which is a refundable tax credit is considered social assistance. It was previously called the WITB (Workers income tax Benefit). I have always received this on my income tax due to the fact I have been a single parent and a waitress and I am considered lower income (I made $29,000 this year on my claim, and have two jobs, so I am not income less and the tax credit was $895). I don’t receive monthly payments for this so I didn’t think it was considered social assistance but now I am second guessing this.

We have already submitted all the paperwork for my husbands sponsorship file/open work visa and are just waiting, and of course said I the sponsor have never received social assistance. Which I thought was true but now I am second guessing it in regard to this tax credit.

If anybody knows that would be great. Thanks.
It isn't considered social assistance. It's a refundable tax credit offered based upon salary