+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taking Canadian Citizenship in USA

thalaivar

Apr 26, 2021
We relocated to the USA on an H1B Visa for work two months ago and am now living here. We would like to understand the process and requirements for taking the oath in my current situation.
  1. 1. Could you please advise whether it's possible to take the oath from abroad, and if so, what steps I need to follow?
  2. 2. If it is not possible, can we travel to Canada to take my oath? How can we return to the USA without a Canadian passport, and can we obtain a Canadian passport on an urgent basis?
  3. 3. Once we obtain my Canadian passport, can we still carry my Indian passport to the USA and surrender it there?
We are concerned about how US border control will handle our situation, as we initially entered the USA on our Indian passport with an H1B visa stamped. After the oath, we will become a Canadian citizen, and our Indian passport cannot be used, correct?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
We relocated to the USA on an H1B Visa for work two months ago and am now living here. We would like to understand the process and requirements for taking the oath in my current situation.
  1. 1. Could you please advise whether it's possible to take the oath from abroad, and if so, what steps I need to follow?
  2. 2. If it is not possible, can we travel to Canada to take my oath? How can we return to the USA without a Canadian passport, and can we obtain a Canadian passport on an urgent basis?
  3. 3. Once we obtain my Canadian passport, can we still carry my Indian passport to the USA and surrender it there?
We are concerned about how US border control will handle our situation, as we initially entered the USA on our Indian passport with an H1B visa stamped. After the oath, we will become a Canadian citizen, and our Indian passport cannot be used, correct?
You have to be in Canada to take your oath.
If you have address proof you can surrender your Indian passport in USA. Based on travel you can request for urgent passport. People use Indian passport but you will need to pay a fine during surrender.

I am not sure how H1B gets transferred between passports.

thalaivar

Apr 26, 2021
You have to be in Canada to take your oath.
If you have address proof you can surrender your Indian passport in USA. Based on travel you can request for urgent passport. People use Indian passport but you will need to pay a fine during surrender.

I am not sure how H1B gets transferred between passports.
Basically - Is this what you are recommending?

1. I take the Oath from Canada in a hotel.
2. Then i apply for urgent Canada passport
3. Then travel to USA with my new Canada passport and i797 work permit.
4. Surrender my Indian passport in USA.

Do you think the border control in USA would have any issue as while coming to usa earlier i used indian passport, but this time using canadian passport?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Basically - Is this what you are recommending?

1. I take the Oath from Canada in a hotel.
2. Then i apply for urgent Canada passport
3. Then travel to USA with my new Canada passport and i797 work permit.
4. Surrender my Indian passport in USA.

Do you think the border control in USA would have any issue as while coming to usa earlier i used indian passport, but this time using canadian passport?
I am not sure how Step 3 works nor I have an answer for USA border control.

There is one more way.
1. Take the Oath from Canada in a hotel.
2. Travel back to USA with your Indian passport
3. Then apply for Canada passport in USA
4. Surrender Indian passport in USA and pay the fine.
5. Canada passport and i797 work permit. -> Dunno what you have to do for this.