+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Switching colleges after coming to Canada.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Suppose I switch from one program to another program within the same DLI after studying a semester under my original program (and the credits earned while studying the original program get transferred to the new program, so the length of my diploma/degree remains the same).

Will that first semester that I spent studying under the original program count for my PGWP requirements?
Yes.

Reactions: forestalt

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Thank you :)

Do you have a link to an online resource or something by IRCC which implies the same?
Switching programs within a school is between you and them, not IRCC, and as you say, your program length is the same and your credits transfer. No apparent impact on PGWP eligibility or length.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Suppose I switch from one program to another program within the same DLI after studying a semester under my original program (and the credits earned while studying the original program get transferred to the new program, so the length of my diploma/degree remains the same).

Will that first semester that I spent studying under the original program count for my PGWP requirements?
No

forestalt

Star Member
Aug 5, 2020
Switching programs within a school is between you and them, not IRCC, and as you say, your program length is the same and your credits transfer. No apparent impact on PGWP eligibility or length.
My concern is that the transcript will list the program I was enrolled in for each semester. So my last three semesters will say "Bachelor of Science degree" while my first semester will say "Computer Info Systems degree".

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
My concern is that the transcript will list the program I was enrolled in for each semester. So my last three semesters will say "Bachelor of Science degree" while my first semester will say "Computer Info Systems degree".
You can't get additional time on your PGWP by changing programs a bunch and doing extra semesters, but it sounds like the only difference here is the resulting degree. Your length of study is the same and your credits transfer over.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Thank you :)

Do you have a link to an online resource or something by IRCC which implies the same?
Example 3: Transferring between eligible DLIs
A student completes a program of study at an eligible DLI and transfers the credits earned to another eligible DLI (or transfers the credits earned from a previous program at the same eligible DLI). If the student submits a letter of acceptance indicating that the credits earned in the first program have been accepted toward completing the subsequent program, the officer should consider all credits from both programs that contribute toward completing the subsequent program in determining post-graduation work permit eligibility and length. A post-graduation work permit is issued based on the completed duration of the program of study.

I'm not going to say I know the specifics but if you only do 3 semesters in your 2nd program, you will get PGWP for those 3 semesters. If someone can clarify, I would be interested to know as well.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Example 3: Transferring between eligible DLIs
A student completes a program of study at an eligible DLI and transfers the credits earned to another eligible DLI (or transfers the credits earned from a previous program at the same eligible DLI). If the student submits a letter of acceptance indicating that the credits earned in the first program have been accepted toward completing the subsequent program, the officer should consider all credits from both programs that contribute toward completing the subsequent program in determining post-graduation work permit eligibility and length. A post-graduation work permit is issued based on the completed duration of the program of study.

I'm not going to say I know the specifics but if you only do 3 semesters in your 2nd program, you will get PGWP for those 3 semesters. If someone can clarify, I would be interested to know as well.
Regardless of whether or not you qualify for this, I would highly advise you choose a more simple application for PGWP e.g. 2 years for 3 year PGWP. Trusting the IRCC officer to understand the nuances of PGWP length and eligibility in complicated situations is a very risky endeavor.

forestalt

Star Member
Aug 5, 2020
You can't get additional time on your PGWP by changing programs a bunch and doing extra semesters, but it sounds like the only difference here is the resulting degree. Your length of study is the same and your credits transfer over.
The length of my new program (Bachelor of Science) would only be 3 semesters (unless the duration of the first semester studying under Bachelor of Computer Info Systems counts as well), so that's why I was worried.

----------

Additional context:

I have already studied for 4 semesters (2 years) at a partner institution in India, so I just need to complete 4 more semesters (2 years) in Canada to get my degree.

The first out of those last 4 semesters (Fall 2020) is already under progress and I'm studying under Bachelor of Computer Info Systems for this semester.

I plan to transfer to Bachelor of Science starting next semester (Winter 2021) - and all of the credits that I earn during the current (Fall 2020) semester are transferrable to the Bachelor of Science program.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
The length of my new program (Bachelor of Science) would only be 3 semesters (unless the duration of the first semester studying under Bachelor of Computer Info Systems counts as well), so that's why I was worried.

----------

Additional context:

I have already studied for 4 semesters (2 years) at a partner institution in India, so I just need to complete 4 more semesters (2 years) in Canada to get my degree.

The first out of those last 4 semesters (Fall 2020) is already under progress and I'm studying under Bachelor of Computer Info Systems for this semester.

I plan to transfer to Bachelor of Science starting next semester (Winter 2021) - and all of the credits that I earn during the current (Fall 2020) semester are transferrable to the Bachelor of Science program.
So the question is are you formally completing a program in semester 1 and then beginning a new program (with a new LOA) in semester 2?

Simply from personal experience I know students at my university who began in sciences and then transferred to engineering or something else, and had no issues getting a PGWP.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020

----------

Additional context:

Same college/uni or different college/uni?

forestalt

Star Member
Aug 5, 2020
Same college/uni or different college/uni?
Same university.

----------

Fall 2018, Winter 2019, Fall 2019, Winter 2020 (4 semesters - 2 years) at Fraser Valley India (out of Canada institution) - Studied under Bachelor of Computer Info Systems program.

-----

Fall 2020 (current semester) at University of the Fraser Valley (Canadian DLI) - Studying under Bachelor of Computer Info Systems program.

All credits being attempted in the Fall 2020 semester are transferrable to the Bachelor of Science program.

-----

Future plan:

Winter 2021, Fall 2021, Winter 2022 (3 semesters) at University of the Fraser Valley (Canadian DLI) - Studying under Bachelor of Science program.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Same university.

----------

Fall 2018, Winter 2019, Fall 2019, Winter 2020 (4 semesters - 2 years) at Fraser Valley India (out of Canada institution) - Studied under Bachelor of Computer Info Systems program.

-----

Fall 2020 (current semester) at University of the Fraser Valley (Canadian DLI) - Studying under Bachelor of Computer Info Systems program.

All credits being attempted in the Fall 2020 semester are transferrable to the Bachelor of Science program.

-----

Future plan:

Winter 2021, Fall 2021, Winter 2022 (3 semesters) at University of the Fraser Valley (Canadian DLI) - Studying under Bachelor of Science program.
You'll be fine. You should have mentioned that earlier.

forestalt

Star Member
Aug 5, 2020
So the question is are you formally completing a program in semester 1 and then beginning a new program (with a new LOA) in semester 2?
No, I'm not formally completing my original program in semester 1. Just transferring to a different program in semester 2.