+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sweden to Canada: Should we file from "Inside" or "Outside Canada"

May 15, 2012
Hello,
I am a Canadian citizen wanting to sponsor my common-law Swedish boyfriend. It is May 15, we currently live in Sweden. On June 1 (2 weeks) I am moving home to Canada.
We have come to the point in the application where we have some questions, about finances, and about where to send the application from.

We are still waiting for some papers to come in the mail, so we won't be able to submit our application for a few weeks, maybe over a month from now, meaning I, the Canadian citizen, will live in Canada at the time of application. My boyfriend will stay in Sweden during the entire process.

1. Our question is, do we still use the "outside of canada" application papers, seeing as the "inside canada" seem to require both of us to be in Canada? Again, at the time of application (a month from now) I will live in Canada, he will live in Sweden.

2. Also, I took the CIC website quiz that is meant to direct me where to send the application and it comes out with London, UK, but I have read time and time again on forums, etc that Mississauga Ontario is the only option. Thoughts?

As we are now, we are trying to fill out as much as possible before I leave Sweden, but it's a stressful time and we just want to be sure.

Thoughts?

Thank you so much for your time and help.

Sunshine87

Apr 13, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 3, 2012
AOR Received.
July 5, 2012
File Transfer...
July 6, 2012
Med's Done....
Dec 10, 2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Oct 25, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 30, 2012
LANDED..........
Dec 30, 2012
Are you applying as common-law?

ashunandal

Champion Member
Jun 23, 2011
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 26, 2012
File Transfer...
May 1, 2012
Interview........
July 31, 2012 (approved) went "in process" same day
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Visa stamped on August 3, 2012 and passport received back on August 13, 2012
LANDED..........
Oct 21, 2012
swedenTOcanada said:
Hello,
I am a Canadian citizen wanting to sponsor my Swedish boyfriend. It is May 15, we currently live in Sweden. On June 1 (2 weeks) I am moving home to Canada.
We have come to the point in the application where we have some questions, about finances, and about where to send the application from.

We are still waiting for some papers to come in the mail, so we won't be able to submit our application for a few weeks, maybe over a month from now, meaning I, the Canadian citizen, will live in Canada at the time of application. My boyfriend will stay in Sweden during the entire process.

1. Our question is, do we still use the "outside of canada" application papers, seeing as the "inside canada" seem to require both of us to be in Canada?

2. Also, I took the CIC website quiz that is meant to direct me where to send the application and it comes out with London, UK, but I have read time and time again on forums, etc that Mississauga Ontario is the only option. Thoughts?

As for finances, we have read several threads and suggestions on this forum, and it's becoming clearer, but still foggy. Because we are in a period of transition, I, the sponsor, am unemployed. We now understand that employment is not a requirement, and their is no pre-determined necessary $ amount required in my savings or otherwise, however, we'd like your experience to back up our feelings.

3. The question is, when both of us get job offers, me in Canada, him in Scandinavia (which we will require of ourselves before sending the application away), are job offers and letters of financial support from parents adequate for their requirements?
The reason I ask this, despite having already read that it is OK on this forum, is because I'm having trouble believing that they do not need proof of available cash for the support of my partner. The application paper itself doesn't require it, but the papers are confusing enough already for me to know that I should definitely be double-checking everything.

As we are now, we are trying to fill out as much as possible before I leave Sweden, but it's a stressful time and we just want to be sure.

Thoughts?

Thank you so much for your time and help.
Since you are sponsoring your common-law partner who is currently living outside Canada, you need to apply from outside Canada (which means you partner's (applicant) part of the application package will be processed in the Sweden visa office for Canada. Since you are applying for common-law visa, it is critical that you get all your documents together before you leave showing that you have lived with your partner for at least one year continuously (proof such as joint rental agreement, joint bank account, household bills addressed to both of you). In the case of sponsoring ONLY a spouse or partner (no dependents like children), there is NO MINIMUM INCOME REQUIREMENT and no requirement for you to be employed at this time. However, you MUST provide evidence of other income or savings (such as bank statements showing bank interest and share market income) for 12 months before submission of you application. If you are unable to show much savings or other income, they will question if you are able to support your partner but you can try submitting your parents' or relative's bank statements along with a letter saying they will support you and your partner and let you stay with them when they get to Canada and at any time you need it. If you dont have any savings to support your partner, maybe it is best to wait until you go back to Canada and find a job before you apply, so you can show you have something. Another important thing is when you go back to Canada, get your recent tax assessment or Option-C printout showing that you (sponsor) are not depending on government assistance, welfare or benefits at this time and have not before. Yes, sending job searches and more important, letters calling you (sponsor) for interview and job offers from Canada.

best of luck! :)

May 15, 2012
ashunandal said:
Since you are sponsoring your common-law partner who is currently living outside Canada, you need to apply from outside Canada (which means you partner's (applicant) part of the application package will be processed in the Sweden visa office for Canada.
Thank you for your reply. So does this mean that he files it from Sweden as "outside", or do I file it from Canada as "outside"?

Yasiin

Star Member
Jun 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2011
File Transfer...
30-08-2011
Med's Request
18-05-2012
Med's Done....
01-06-2011
Interview........
26-01-2012
Passport Req..
02-08-2012 (London vo recieved passport 06-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
05-09-2012
LANDED..........
13-09-2012 (PR card came in the mail on 14-11-2012)
swedenTOcanada said:
Thank you for your reply. So does this mean that he files it from Sweden as "outside", or do I file it from Canada as "outside"?
Hi
i think your case is a lot like mine. I live in Sweden , married to my Canadian wife. Well it depands on where you have decided to file the applications. There are two type of applications, inland and outland applications and both applicaions are filed from within Canada Mississauga but the only difference is that if you go for the inland application then your common-in low partner has to live there with you in Canada and he has to be there for the entire process but if you go for the outland application then he can come visit you if he wants and the whole applciation is being filed to Mississauga, stating which type of appl you want to file and which office is to be processed. Your Visa Office will be London CHC.

No application is filed from Sweden.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Definitely file Outland, London processes in much faster time than Inland!

As long as you file the application with sufficient proof of your previous cohabitation period (with the minimum of 12 months) you can file common-law. However, the break in your cohabitation when you return to Canada should be clearly temporary. He is visa-exempt, so he could come and visit with you while his application is processing (no, you don't need to file Inland just because of that).

Reactions: swedenTOcanada