+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Surrender Indian Passport and Apply for OCI while in India

akshay_vic

Oct 22, 2019
Hi,

I will be becoming a Canadian Citizen soon. After receiving my Canadian Passport, I intend to travel to India using my Indian Passport.

I don't want to surrender my Indian Passport in Canada, as I have to travel to India immediately. As far as I know, Indian Passport is still valid for 3 months after becoming a Canadian Citizen. Once I reach India on my Indian Passport, I will surrender my (Indian) passport in India.

My question is: After I surrender my Indian Passport and receive the surrender certificate, can I apply for OCI while in India? If yes, will I still need the "Exit Permit" to return to Canada? I am planning to stay in India for an year.

Any information is really appreciated. Thanks in advance!

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi,

I will be becoming a Canadian Citizen soon. After receiving my Canadian Passport, I intend to travel to India using my Indian Passport.

I don't want to surrender my Indian Passport in Canada, as I have to travel to India immediately. As far as I know, Indian Passport is still valid for 3 months after becoming a Canadian Citizen. Once I reach India on my Indian Passport, I will surrender my (Indian) passport in India.

My question is: After I surrender my Indian Passport and receive the surrender certificate, can I apply for OCI while in India? If yes, will I still need the "Exit Permit" to return to Canada? I am planning to stay in India for an year.

Any information is really appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Check @nivaan5 post. He has done what you are planning to do and also documented the same on this forum for future reference.