+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super Visa: Letter From The Accountant

themesplice

Jun 9, 2017
Hello. Hope everyone is fine and safe.

I'll try to keep my question as brief as possible.

I am a self-employed Permanent resident in Canada, looking to apply for supervisa - I fulfill all the requirements. However, for self-employed they require a letter from the accountant.

My question is why do they need a letter from the accountant, when I am providing most recent notice of assessment? Why would they trust an accountant and not a government issued document?

Can someone share their experience in this regard? Thank a lot.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
According to operational guidelines, you don’t.

• evidence of the child’s or grandchild’s means of providing financial support through meeting the low income cut-off (LICO) minimum (a co-signer may be added to meet the LICO minimum) in the form of 1 of the following documents:
    • the most recent copy of the notice of assessment (if the child or grandchild does not have a paper copy of their notice of assessment on file, they can view and print their tax returns as well as other personal tax information using the Canada Revenue Agency My Account online service by visiting www.cra.gc.ca/myaccount to register or log in)
    • the most recent copy of the child’s or grandchild’s T4 or T1
    • an original letter from the child’s or grandchild’s employer stating their
      • job title
      • job description
      • salary
    • the child’s or grandchild’s employment insurance pay stubs, including
      • a letter from an accountant confirming the child’s or grandchild’s annual income, if they are self-employed
      • proof of other sources of income (pension statement, investments, etc.)
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/super-visa.html

themesplice

Jun 9, 2017
Did you care to read my question? I know the requirements. All I am asking is why would they trust an accountant and not a government issued document?

According to operational guidelines, you don’t.

• evidence of the child’s or grandchild’s means of providing financial support through meeting the low income cut-off (LICO) minimum (a co-signer may be added to meet the LICO minimum) in the form of 1 of the following documents:
    • the most recent copy of the notice of assessment (if the child or grandchild does not have a paper copy of their notice of assessment on file, they can view and print their tax returns as well as other personal tax information using the Canada Revenue Agency My Account online service by visiting www.cra.gc.ca/myaccount to register or log in)
    • the most recent copy of the child’s or grandchild’s T4 or T1
    • an original letter from the child’s or grandchild’s employer stating their
      • job title
      • job description
      • salary
    • the child’s or grandchild’s employment insurance pay stubs, including
      • a letter from an accountant confirming the child’s or grandchild’s annual income, if they are self-employed
      • proof of other sources of income (pension statement, investments, etc.)
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/super-visa.html

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Because some people may not have been in Canada a year but are self employed, so they don’t have a NOA. If self employed their accountant could confirm their income.

themesplice

Jun 9, 2017
I have NoA for 2019, but not for 2020. Do I still need to provide a statement from the account for 2020?

Because some people may not have been in Canada a year but are self employed, so they don’t have a NOA. If self employed their accountant could confirm their income.

themesplice

Jun 9, 2017
Thank you!

One question if you could answer that would be great. Although I meet LICO criteria for 2019 and have NOA to prove it, but for 2020 I fall short of the income requirement. So should I include my wife as a co-signer in the application? Can the visa office ask for 2020 NoA?

You provide for 2019 as 2020 NOAs are only sent out once you have filed and assessed.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you!

One question if you could answer that would be great. Although I meet LICO criteria for 2019 and have NOA to prove it, but for 2020 I fall short of the income requirement. So should I include my wife as a co-signer in the application? Can the visa office ask for 2020 NoA?
Yes, your wife can be a co-signer. They can ask for 2020NOA but if you meet 2019 and have a co-signer, it is less likely.