+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super visa insurance - specific info/help needed please.....

Gary Goldshmidt

Dec 4, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Gary Goldshmidt said:
Call me or email me I can help you. I have dozens of individuals in your situation. I deal with five companies one two are prepared to underwrite at time of application, I will forward a detailed medial questionaire to you and the insurance company will get back to you within four business days. Insurance policies that cover pre-existing conditions require a stability period of anywhere from 90 to 365 days depending on the wording of their policy. What I recommend is that you ask your parent or grandparents to bring with them all medical records and a letter from a doctor or medical facility indicating they are stable and are able to travel, otherwise if a claim is denied you have no evidence to support your claim. I would also avoid companies with poor track records of paying claims, you can see my other blogs and the CBC investigative report video on this topic. Getting a quote from a web site for your situation is useless, don't waste your time. You need to try to get the policy medicaly underwriten.

Gary Goldshmidt
Managing Director
Stone-Hedge Financial Group Inc.
Toll Free 1.888.410.4393
Toronto Local Tel 416.410.4393
Email: gary@stone-hedgefianancialgroup.ca

Gary Goldshmidt

Dec 4, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Haitokin said:
I am an independent travel insurance broker :eek: too! (Full disclosure).

To obtain a visitors to Canada insurance policy that includes coverage for illnesses related to pre-existing medical conditions, you'll need to use a broker that is familiar with as many policies as possible - in order to obtain a fair price, and coverage that matches up with your (parent's) medical situation. Most research can be done online first - and then specific questions can be asked to ensure understanding of the coverage being offered.

I set up the comparable quote engine at BestQuotetravelinsurance.ca http://www.bestquotetravelinsurance.ca/parent-and-grandparent-super-visa-health-insurance so people could easily look at their supervisa insurance options by getting a quote, comparing prices and coverage options. The policies come with a immediate note about whether not they offer coverage for stable pre-existing medical conditions, but all contracts use different wording - so each must be checked closely because you will not be comparing apple vs apples. Generally though, most policies require the pre-existing condition to be stable (each policy has its own definition of 'stable', 'change of medication' etc) for 90-180 days prior to arrival in Canada.

However, one thing to note is that all visitor to Canada insurance is for medical emergencies - not routine checkups. So a person could be diabetic and the condition may be defined as stable so the insurance contract would cover any illnesses that may be related to the diabetes (pancreatic problems?, ect), but going to the doctor to have the insulin levels monitored frequently while the parent is here would have to be paid for by cash - the insurance doesn't cover 'treatment' of chronic conditions.

Now, FYI: the insurance companies realize that the present policies on the market were not meant for long term coverage - and they will address this soon by issuing new 'blended' policies that merge visitors to Canada insurance with more US style private health insurance coverage - the kind offered by an expatriate policy for example. I expect this will first happen this quarter - definately the first half of this year. That blended coverage will probably not cost any more than the policies cost today - but the coverage will be mildly more appropriate.

In terms of prices, you won't find any better prices than what BestQuote Travel Insurance.ca can offer: http://www.bestquotetravelinsurance.ca/super-visa-insurance-bestquote-rates - but it always makes sense to check back with the site from time to time to see if one of our insurance companies have offered a new policy, or changed their rates. We'll have a few more policies on the site in the weeks to come as well - although these are already offered to our customers when they call us.

I beleive Gary is trying to make a grand distinction between using TIC (we also use them for direct underwriting when necessary or preferred) to obtain an individually underwritten policy versus using an policy that 'underwrites itself' by restricting the coverage to the precise contract language. Both methods are appropriate for obtaining coverage if you are certain of your medical condition and its not too complex - otherwise using TIC (or the other company that we use to obtain an answer in minutes rather than 4 days) to directly underwrite is a better option. Gary will have to admit though, that he sells many more policies that cover pre-existing medical conditions that are not from TIC.

Call toll free to inquire 1-855-237-8808 BestQuote Travel Insurance Agency.
This is Gary from Stone-Hedge Financial Group Inc. and that is not true I use both GMS and TIC for underwriting , however I prefer TIC travel insurance the product is better and is beeter value plus they will underwrite at time of applications. Sometimes this is tricky so I am now suing lawyers and asking clients to bring with them all medical records to prove a period of stability and medical history. As far as buying this online it cannot be done with these type of policies. Hope this clariffies Gary,s position on this topic. If other brokers need more information on Stone-Hedge Financial Group Inc. thery can read my commentary in the Insurance and Investment Journal on compliance of MGA's or lack thereof. I am very gratefull to this site it seems that I have become rather popular.

Gary Goldshmidt

Dec 4, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What you are reffering is a rating that results in higher premiums due to risk. Be carefull most travel policies are underwriter at time of claim so in effect you do not know if you are even insured. TIC is probably the best option to try call me or email me I will send a detailed medical questionaire to you and they will get back within four business days. I just had a case with GMS insurance, I called them told them the situation and customer service said to proceed to purchase, instead I sent a full medical for them to review and their legals and management called me to tell me they have the right to refuse to insure even if all the elligibility requirements are met. I am now asking people to bring with them their medical history and a letter stating they are stable and able to travel from a doctor or a medical facility. I fear there will be a lot of claims denied wtih this product so I am taking precautions, just called one of my best friends who is one of the best litigation lawyers in Canada and will try to get lawyers for clients at time of application so if a claim is denied the client can litigate instanly and win assuming they didnt lie on the insurance application or provide false medical records. Some foreing juristictions are full of fraud fake death certificates, forged documents and the like. I called the company who handles claims for GMS Insurance and asked them how do they verify medical records in foreign juristidictions, so far no one got back to me, but they claim that is what they do. I fear all that is going to happen is provide a gravy train for lawyers with this product. I am selling insurance I am not a private investigator, medical practicioner or lawyer. However I am now feeling like all of the above.

Haitokin

Star Member
Aug 28, 2011
Hello Rossei,

When you get a quote from http://www.bestquotetravelinsurance.ca/parent-and-grandparent-super-visa-health-insurance, you do receive an automatic email that provides a reference number and a link back to your quote. You also immediately see the quote on your screen, without leaving the website. If there is an issue with not being able to see the quote on your screen, it might be that you are using an older browser, or a combination of browser and operating software (IE 6.0 and Windows 7.0 for example) that our sysytem cannot support. Even IE 9.0 presents problems and is incompatible with many websites. Please use a different browser (Firefox or Chrome for example), and you should have no problem viewing your quote. If you ever do have an issue, I encourage you to email admin @ bestquotetravelinsurance.ca to get some assistance.

The 'single trip' is the only option available on quote request form because Manulife does actually have a 30 day multi-trip policy for visitors to Canada that confuses many super visa insurance shoppers because it will not meet the super visa requirements of offering continuous coverage for one's entire stay. So we removed that option on our quote request form to keep things simple.

Depending on the policy you look at, some visitors to Canada policies allow for a 'trip break' where you can return home for a short period of time and then return to Canada again without the policy ending. Other policies don't allow for a trip break, and end when the insured returns to their home country - so a new policy would then need to be purchased again prior to returning to Canada. Our quote clearly states whether a policy allows a trip break or not - right on the policy label.

In terms of which type of policy to use, having a policy that offers a trip break is better, but often comes at a cost (TIC just announced a new policy option that includes a trip break, but the refund admin fee becomes $100 instead of $0 compared to the non trip break plan. GMS has a policy option that allows for a trip break, but then the policy is no longer partially refundable. If a person is paying $150/month or more for their policy and their return home is going to be even only two weeks or one month long, since no coverage will be in effect in one's home country, that can be a costly 'trip break'. It might make more sense to ensure that the policy is partially refundable.

Gary Goldshmidt

Dec 4, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TIC travel insurance did announce a new product for the super visa which allows for right of entry and yes the admin fee is $100.00 While an online site like best quote may be appropriate for certain types of coverage, so far dealing with law firms and immigration people all prefer to have the policy underwriten and this is not possible on any online site you still need a broker. I would caution aggressive marketers like bestquote suggesting that people go and just buy online without any problem but what happens if the insurance company does not pay because the broker is negligent or did not advise the client of their options. I recent article on this issue by a litigation lawyer advised clients to fill out their medical questionnaire with their doctors assistance, always try to underwrite at time of application not time of claim, bring all medical records along with a letter from their doctor or medical facility stating their medical conditon has been stable for an x amount of time and they are not traveling against the advise of a physician. I recently spoke to TIC some of the policies that are being rated have had premiums of over $10,000 close to three times higher their posted rate which is what you see on the web including bestquotetravelinsurance.ca. So while there are many brokers who want business from this site to suggest that a quotaion system deals with these types of cases is absurd and ridiculal.

Gary Goldshmidt
Managing Director
Toll Free 1.888.410.4393
Toronto Tel 416.410.4393
Email: gary@stone-hedgefinancialgroup.ca

Gary Goldshmidt

Dec 4, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
oceans_end said:
call Chinese travel Agency for cheap travel insurance, a RBC location quoted me $25/day for a 81yr old $50K covering pre existing conditions, a travel agency in Chinatown gave me the samething by RBC for $17/day.
Just had client who had his super visa application declined due to 50k of coverage instead of the requiered 100k. This was purchased from a travel agent don't waste your time with these policies they do not meet the requirement of 100k of minimum coverage.

Haitokin

Star Member
Aug 28, 2011
Gary, Gary, Gary. :(

Let's face it Gary, BestQuote Travel Insurance Agency deals with all the same companies that your company does, and more. We give people online access to all the policy wordings, prices, what happens when a deductible is used, or add-on coverage is added, etc. We make it easy for people to compare policies on-line. But we aren't only an online agency. Our customers are encouraged to call us, and ask questions. We do all the explaining that is necessary for people to understand their options. And while we are cautious on behalf of our customers, and try to get them to understand the use of contract language that may or may not offer adequate coverage for pre-existing medical conditions, we don't try scaring them into thinking that WE are the only person in the industry that does their job adequately, or that all other brokers are 'aggressive marketers' that don't understand the in's and out's of travel insurance.

Here's your comment: "While an online site like best quote may be appropriate for certain types of coverage, so far dealing with law firms and immigration people all prefer to have the policy underwriten and this is not possible on any online site you still need a broker."
When direct underwriting is advisable (it's not when people have a very clean medical history, or only one or two stable conditions), then we have clients fill in the same questionnaire you get them to fill in when they inquire with TIC - am I missing something? Yes, they can find the medical questionnaire online, although we usually email it to clients (the same as you do?).

Here's your comment: "I would caution aggressive marketers like bestquote suggesting that people go and just buy online without any problem but what happens if the insurance company does not pay because the broker is negligent or did not advise the client of their options."
I do hope you aren't trying to imply that I or my company are acting 'negligently'. Online marketing happens. As we speak, you are developing your very own 'super visa insurance' website! If the insurance companies thought that this was a negligent practice, they wouldn't offer every broker and insurance agent under the sun a B2C link that allows customers to buy directly - sometimes without even having to read the pre-existing medical conditions exclusions etc. We show people all their options up front, before they buy, and our system has many checks along the way to ensure that they've had eligibility requirements, pre-existing medical condition exclusions, and the insurance company disclaimers presented to them. And far from concealing their options, our site is all about revealing them so people can make sound decisions. If they need our help, we're happy to oblige! Call toll free 1-888-888-0150!

Here's your comment: "I recently spoke to TIC some of the policies that are being rated have had premiums of over $10,000 close to three times higher their posted rate which is what you see on the web including bestquotetravelinsurance.ca. So while there are many brokers who want business from this site to suggest that a quotaion system deals with these types of cases is absurd and ridiculal."
Of course, we can only show people the posted rates, not ones that receive a rating after asking for direct medical underwriting. But since only TIC does that (and we do deal with them), and since 80-90% of visitors to Canada don't require medical underwriting up front letting people see what the available rates are is not a crime - its a service. And there's nothing absurd and ridiculal about it. :p

Now, don't make me show people the one post where you say websites and buying online is not rrecommended (which is what you'd say when you don't have a website offering online quotes, and then your other one where you say you're developing a new website! Stay tuned! I've seen the site Gary - it advertises quotes, and doesn't deliver. When and if it does, I'm sure you'll change your tune on whether showing people all that relevant information is a good idea. Don't get me wrong Gary, I'm waiting for better policies to be offered, and for medical questionnaires to be used for visitors to Canada policies the same way they are used for Canadian travelers. I'll appreciate more companies doing direct medical underwriting at the time of application. The more choices the better. I am certain that changes are being planned as we speak. As soon as industry improvements are announced, the policies will be available to my customers (and yours too Gary!) on my website. http://www.bestquotetravelinsurance.ca/parent-and-grandparent-super-visa-health-insurance
As for being an 'aggressive marketer' anyone can look at the number of posts I've made on this site, and then look at the number you've made to see who is more active. They can also see you attack all the other insurance advisors (and some of the insurance companies too!) that provide comments and advice here, and draw their own conclusions on who is 'aggressive'.

OnlineInsPro

Star Member
Dec 12, 2011
Amen Haitokin! I also agree. Come off it Gary... Too bad "Bambi" is such an old film. It had some important life lessons in it that people seem to have forgotten.

Tracy DesLaurier

Gary Goldshmidt

Dec 4, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Than why did one of my client get a rating of $17.00 a day to cover his pre-existing condition after filling out a detailed medical questionaire. According to your advise all he had to do was buy online and pay the rate that is in the insurance companies rate card. Are you suggesting that it would not matter, just buy online and all is well, like I said this is absurd. If you actually take the time to advise people as opposed to just telling them to click a quote from your site, you would actually make more money and give consumers insurance they can count on.
For every 10 applations I send to underwriting I only get about 3 or 4 approved, the rest I can still insure but they have to be aware that the pre-existing conditions will not be covered and they are personnaly liable for any medical expenses. A stay in the hospital for one day today cost about $3000+ so we are not talking about pocket change, one poor guy had get a mortgage to pay a medial bill. I am here to advise people so when they do make a decision they actually understand what they are buying, a novel concept. In the investment world we call it full true and plain disclosure. You should try it, you may be surprised at the results.

Haitokin

Star Member
Aug 28, 2011
Gary, why are you assuming that I don't offer my clients the chance to apply to TIC for direct medical underwriting? I do. I use the same TIC procedure that you do. My clients do actually speak to me when they have questions about coverage. It's called a phone.
I believe, based on how much you insist upon it, that you probably get a much higher percentage of your clients to apply for TIC by answering their detailed medical questionnaire than I do. Most clients with less complex pre-existing medical conditions don't need to volunteer to pay higher costs - which is what happens when you get the coverage from TIC after answering their medical questionnaire.

Most clients with more complex medical issues will simply get refused the coverage - as you mentioned. But of the 3-4 that get approved with TIC, how many of your clients had the english skills to answer everything to a standard that allows them to claim full disclosure? Because, TIC is not bound by anything after that questionnaire is answered. If an error (misunderstanding) or ommission has been made by the client then coverage will be void. TIC still investigates at the time of claim. So, I sure hope you're not promising your clients that their coverage is now as good as gold based on what could be limited disclosure. Misunderstanding does happen whether a questionnaire is used or not. Just look at the various claims related stories from CBC on Canadians travelling abroad after answering a medical questionniare.

You seem to be trying to carve out an academic position on the merits of direct underwriting - and I admit it has merit. It's great for clients that have complex medical situations and need some clarity. Most of my clients aren't like that. But (I love a good argument), direct underwriting has its perils too - and to really provide full disclosure you should make your own clients aware of them. Children answering on behalf of a parent is probably the biggest risk, next to the english skills of the parent and/or doctor of the parent.

Here's a portion of the TIC detailed medical questionnaire just to provide but one example:

Check yes if you’ve ever had symptoms, investigations or treatment for any of the conditions in the group, then check the box beside the specific condition that applies to you. If more than one condition applies, check the box for every condition.
Heart and cardiovascular (please check all that apply):
arrhythmia, fibrillation, palpitations or any irregular heart rate, heart murmur, chest pain or angina, arteriosclerosis, coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, by-pass surgery, use pacemaker or defibrillator, valve replacement, or abnormality heart attack, myocardial infarction, congenital heart defect, prescribed and /or used any form of nitroglycerin, angioplasty or stent....
Stroke, cerebrovascular and neurological (please check all that apply):
cerebrovascular accident (CVA), stroke transient ischemic attack (TIA) or mini-stroke, ongoing therapy, paralysis, use of cane, walker, wheelchair or other mobility device, hydrocephalus, parkinson’s disease, seizures, migraine, epilepsy, aneurysm, Alzheimer’s disease or dementia, mental or nervous disorder, or anxiety neurological disorder....
Lung and respiratory (please check all that apply):
chronic obstructive pulmonary, disease (COPD), asthma, chronic bronchitis, bronchial asthma, pulmonary embolism, sarcoidosis of lung, SLEEP APNEA, emphysema, asbestosis, tuberculosis, pulmonary fibrosis, use of home oxygen use of prednisone use of cortisone...

Now, I highlighted one condition. SLEEP APNEA. Any parent that has exhibited symptoms even if it hasn't been diagnosed had better check YES according to the instructions - what happens when they don't? Or if there's a misunderstanding about another term? Or if the person answers the questionnaire without the help of their doctor, and the doctor has glossed over a condition and told the client not to worry about it? There are medical records in foriegn countries. At claim time, if it seems obvious to TIC that someone didn't fully disclose their medical history based on what TIC has seen on the medical charts, there will be an issue with the claim. Do 100% of your clients answer the questionnaire themselves and with the help of their doctor? Out of those 3-4 that get accepted, is all their coverage as good as gold? Please don't promise them that it is. They may think they've told the truth on the questionnaire, and overlooked something. Then, at claim time, they find out the coverage you said was as good as gold, isn't. Do they sue you then Gary?

Here's the declaration at the end of the questionnaire:

You acknowledge that:
• If you misrepresent your medical status in this questionnaire, or if you don’t disclose material information about your medical status, or if any of your answers are found to be incorrect or untrue, your coverage will be null and void, your claims won’t be paid and your premium will be refunded, even if the material non-disclosure or inaccuracy is not related to the claim reported, and you will be solely responsible for all expenses related to your claim.

"ANY of your answers found to be incorrect or untrue...NULL and VOID"

So, that means that TIC investigates the validity of the policy at claim time. That means they aren't saying the coverage is as good as gold. You shouldn't imply that it is on this website Gary, or to any of your clients.

I do try to engage my clients as much as I can. Having access to information ahead of the time of purchase is a good thing. I do try to advocate full understanding with my clients. That's why I started the BestQuote website project. And if you think I'm only concerned with presenting prices, take a look at this page on Visitors pre-existing medical conditions: http://www.bestquotetravelinsurance.ca/visitors-to-canada-insurance-compare-pre-existing-medical-conditions-stable-period I'm not trying to hide anything. Quite the opposite.

To anyone who actually reads all this stuff...thanks for listening. I do hope some of my points above are informative!

Gary Goldshmidt

Dec 4, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am not here to critisize a quotation website there are many out there and for the most part they are all good but all have certain limitations, however as with any business it has to be economically feasable. I started to work on mine because I had clients who wanted to but travel policies for their weekend trip to the U.S. and premiums were $15.00 to $50.00 dollars, obviously it does not make sense to underwrite every case for young and health clients. However when dealing with older ages you are dealing with a high claims, underwriting is critical and I have not seen a quotation system which does this. You still have to engage clients individually on a case per case basis, getting a quote is just a starting point of a best case scenerio. As far as disclaimers go, they protect the broker but really do not do much for the client, as I mentioned I have had cases where the insurer client services told me to go ahead but when I insisted on sending in a medical and getting the approval in writing the response was very different. I am not here to tell you how to run your business and how you deal with your E&O or civil litigation, I have settled enough cases in my life in the investment business. But to suggest or give an impression that a quotation system is able to deal with underwriting is missleading, if you are engaging clients on a case by case basis that is what I do. And yes I do believe from my experience that a hugh percentage of people applying for the Super Visa need to be underwriten. To give you a case I have right now the client is concened that he may be denied the super visa due to the mandatory medical, immigration is not stupid if they know someone is high risk they will deny the super visa. However in this case the insurere is prepared to insure and give him in writing that the pre-existing condition is insured, this will greatly increase his chances of being able to obtain a super visa. The premium on this case based on an internet quotation system any one it does not matter is only $3,600 but because of the rating of $17.00 per day this persons premium is going to be s$9,600. Now I get the same bs. the client will tell me I only need it for two month, so I told him to talk to his legal representative and apply to a regular visa. Unfortunatly he was already denied once and his super visa application is now being ammended because it was also declined on the basis that he didn't purchase enough coverage I believe he purchased insurance from a travel agent. Dealing with insurance is hard enough but when you deal with immigration it is full of fraud and missrepresentation so you have to be even more carefull. The point is they have to pay for the coverage not just get policies issued and if they have to pay three times the rates posted to actually get insured so be it. Still cheaper than paying $3000.00 per day in a Canadian Hospital, travel insurance is a bargain in Canada and the super visa program is one of the most compasionate programs out there for reuniting families. Our job is not just to give them a quote but to actually get them insured and underwriting at time of application is the only way to do this. Is it mandatory NO is it good business yes, the broker makes more money and the client has peace of mind and a far better chance of getting their super visa approved. There are lots of clients who need a broker and dealing with these cases is time consuming and can be complex. If you want to promote your site that is fine as everyone does but with the Super Visa Insurance I think it may be wiser to promote your expertise as a broker not just a quotation system.

Gary Goldshmidt
Managing Director

OnlineInsPro

Star Member
Dec 12, 2011
My god Gary, do you even understand WHY people buy Insurance? The purpose is to bring risk to an acceptable level, not to eliminate it. You try to make yourself out to be the sole source of truth for your clients and to be "doing the best job for your clients". You seem to insist on medical underwriting for pretty much all of your clients even though it is not necessary but you insist on it "to provide clarification". I for one call bulls*%t on that. As an example, let's take a look at a situation like diabetes. Your approach would be to send that person for medical underwriting, and likely have a huge rating to offer your client so that condition is covered. Congratulations. What a hero. Again, Bull! You, the agent just made a whole lot more money, and yes, the client now has coverage for diabetes. Big friggin deal... do you know what the difference between your highly rated and highly compensated deal is and that of a "regular" policy which excludes pre-existing conditions in this instance? Really? Complications of Diabetes... Do you know what they are? Loss of vision, reduced blood flow to the extremities resulting in eventual amputation, maybe in an extreme case coma? Are these likely to occur in the short time a person is visiting Canada? I doubt it. The only concern MIGHT be in the event that somebody has so little control over their blood sugar that they slip into coma. How likely is that? Do you think that person would or should even be considering travel if that was the case? Do you think that if they were to travel it would be against the advice of their physician (which would void the policy anyway)?

My clients are not idiots Gary. I educate them wherever necessary, and do so with over 20 years experience of actual field underwriting not your legal/beagle/scare tactics not based in reality. If you want to rape your clients and ensure that they are covered for EVERY SINGLE EVENTUALITY, IN EVERY INSTANCE, IN EVERY CIRCUMSTANCE, you are not going to be very successful at this. The premiums required to do so would be untenable to just about anybody. These clients are bold enough to travel to another country for an extended period of time. They understand that everyday the get up out of bed there is risk of something happening to them. This is just life Gary. Life comes with risk. You need to help your clients the risk/reward balance in relation to their own situation and risk tolerance and not try to force them all to buy your highly rated, highly compensated policies at little if any practical advantage one what a standard policy would offer.

In case you wonder if I put my money where my mouth is, I want to ensure you I do. I have hypertension. I have elevated cholesterol. I even ride a motorcycle, play sports and walk across the street from time to time. Do I need insurance for everyone of these risks? Not at all. I take medication for by blood pressure and cholesterol and have for years. As a result, my symptoms are controlled BETTER than someone who does not. My Life Insurance premiums are standard. My Critical Illness premiums standard. My Disability premiums standard. And when I travel? I would gladly take a policy with an exclusion for these conditions as THEY ARE NOT GOING TO EVER RESULT IN A CLAIM. WHY would I ever want to pay increased premium and increased compensation to somebody like you for that privilege?

Tracy DesLaurier, CHS - Super Visa Insurance Specialist
http://travelinsure.ca
info@dfsinc.ca
1-888-933-7462

Gary Goldshmidt

Dec 4, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Tracy I am sorry to hear about your medical condition and that you are taking medication for hypertension and elevated cholesterol. I am not your doctor nor am I qualified to give you or my clients medical advice, I am also not an underwriter for an insurance company. I leave it to my client to decide with their doctor the risks of their pre-existing conditions and if they choose to have it underwriten or to take their chances as many do. I am not suggesting that every condition needs to be underwriten however I am not in a position to advise them, I leave this to their doctor. Yes Tracy people do take risks I have friends that travel to Afganistan where no insurer apart from Lloyds would insure them, I have also know people that race cars, mountain climb and engage in dangerous actitivies or work in high risk occupations such as police officers. But not activities are insurable and to insure them through specialty insurance from Lloyds is very expensive. However there are factors to take into account with the Super Visa, as I mentioned there is a mandatory medical and yes Tracy people will take their chances and even have their application denied because they are high risk and do not provide proof of medical insurance to cover their high risk pre-existing condition. Once an application is denied what do they do with their insurance they purchased, well they get a refund because it was useless. The whole purpose of having mandetory medical insurance is so they do not become a financial burden to their children and do not put a strain our provincial health plans which are already being strained by aging Canadians. People have a right to take chances I agree but what happens when they are denied their super visa application because they are high risk and their policy is not clear if it covers their high risk pre-existing condition, well Tracy they usually seek legal advise not to mention the emotional toll on their loved ones. Medical conditions are determined by medical professionals not insurance brokers, I simply give them an option to apply to have it insured. Is it mandatory NO am I qualified to advise them of their health risks NO, do I determine the outcome of their mandatory medical of the super visa application NO. I am not qualified to do that, the only thing I am able to do is provide the mandotary medical insurance. The majority of applications I get are from Lawyers and Licensed Paralegals that deal in immigration, so far they all feel more comfortable with me filling out a detailed medical application. Is it necessery in all cases no, but I let the client decide what is best for them. I do not advise them of their medical condition or if they should be brave and take their chances, I leave that to their doctor. I can tell you as I already posted on this site that immigration is not dumb and if someone has a serious pre-existing condition they are far more likely to be declined, they do stand a better chance of getting approval if their policy specifically covers that condition. Being able to buy insurance is not a right it is a previledge that is why some of my applications get declined. Only then I give them their other options, to buy cheaper coverage that will not cover pre-existing conditions and self-insure their pre-existing conditions, to put it bluntly to pay out of their pockets if something should happen and if they don't their children or grandchildren become personaly liable for all medical expenses. That is how it works Tracy and I would never suggest your clients are idiots, but according to you CBC is and so are other people that have had critisism of travel insurace. I can assure you these are not idiots, the person who commented for the CBC is Jim Bullock I personally met him and he extremely knowledgable and a very nice person. Jim Bullock was actually instrumental in the creation of our association which is now called the Independent Financial Brokers of Canada.
I sincerely hope your health improves and you feel better.
Gary