+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

(Success) Flagpole Experience PGWP: Peace Bridge (Fort Erie), Rainbow Bridge

yasqueen

Jul 20, 2022
Hey! I'm going to attempt this this weekend at the Niagara border as well (Fort Erie). I was wondering what day of the week you decided to do this? I'm scared that they may not be processing WPs on weekends. Also, what were the documents that you brought? Did they ask for a reason why you were flagpoling as opposed to waiting for an online approval or were they just like okay cool there's your permission to flagpole?

Clive Standen

Jun 2, 2022
Привет! Я собираюсь попробовать это в эти выходные на границе с Ниагарой (Форт Эри). Мне интересно, в какой день недели вы решили это сделать? Я боюсь, что они могут не обрабатывать WP в выходные дни. И какие документы вы привезли? Спрашивали ли они о причине, по которой вы занимались флагштоком, а не ждали онлайн-одобрения, или они просто говорили: «Хорошо, круто, есть ваше разрешение на флагшток?»
[/ЦИТИРОВАТЬ]

HI! I already described my flagpole in this thread, you can read it. Officers do not give permission on weekends.

Accountingdude2893

Star Member
Jun 15, 2019
Hey! I'm going to attempt this this weekend at the Niagara border as well (Fort Erie). I was wondering what day of the week you decided to do this? I'm scared that they may not be processing WPs on weekends. Also, what were the documents that you brought? Did they ask for a reason why you were flagpoling as opposed to waiting for an online approval or were they just like okay cool there's your permission to flagpole?
Only Tues - Weds and Thursday man.

Reactions: DesiPikachu

yasqueen

Jul 20, 2022
A friend of mine flagpoled yesterday, his TRV and study permits expired a while ago and he is in the PGWP-implied status. The US border agents asked him a bunch of questions, but didn't stop him. However on the Canada side, the CBSA agents showed him his on WP-EXT letter showing the date on it according to IRCC, and refused to give him his PGWP document, saying that he still has a month to get it, and that he will.

Guess it is different for different people. Maybe he would've got it, if the date on the WP-EXT letter also passed and he still didn't get the PGWP.
Where did he flagpole? I had the same experience at the Pearson airport, I tried to flagpole while coming back from the States but they told me to just "wait". Such BS, honestly, because all of my friends that graduated before me only got their PGWP like literally 2-3 months after the date on their WP-EXT letter, which is concerning for my current employer.

DesiPikachu

Jan 13, 2021
Where did he flagpole? I had the same experience at the Pearson airport, I tried to flagpole while coming back from the States but they told me to just "wait". Such BS, honestly, because all of my friends that graduated before me only got their PGWP like literally 2-3 months after the date on their WP-EXT letter, which is concerning for my current employer.
You should've researched more before attempting to flagpole. Airports are the worst for flagpoling. Best are land border points in British Columbia. You will rarely have a problem in British Columbia. Sometimes it's worth taking a domestic flight to Vancouver just for flagpoling purposes.

Point Roberts (Boundary Bay) and Peace Arch. Go on Mondays or Wednesdays during working hours, preferably in the morning. Point Roberts is nearer to airport and more accessible by public transport.

airforce1907

Dec 23, 2018
You should've researched more before attempting to flagpole. Airports are the worst for flagpoling. Best are land border points in British Columbia. You will rarely have a problem in British Columbia. Sometimes it's worth taking a domestic flight to Vancouver just for flagpoling purposes.

Point Roberts (Boundary Bay) and Peace Arch. Go on Mondays or Wednesdays during working hours, preferably in the morning. Point Roberts is nearer to airport and more accessible by public transport.
I second that. I flew domestically all the way to British Columbia to flagpole and it worked.

yasqueen

Jul 20, 2022
Does anyone know if flagpoling works at every border crossing? In case going to Niagara doesn't work, I will be going on a summer trip to Kelowna next weekend and may try the Osoyoos border, but I can't find any information about it.

DesiPikachu

Jan 13, 2021
Does anyone know if flagpoling works at every border crossing? In case going to Niagara doesn't work, I will be going on a summer trip to Kelowna next weekend and may try the Osoyoos border, but I can't find any information about it.
No, not every border crossing allows for it. You'll have to enquire in advance by contacting them.

Accountingdude2893

Star Member
Jun 15, 2019
So I wanted to post on here that I have successfully did my flag pole at Fort Erie on Tuesday July 27th.
I booked a motel near the border called: Haven Motel.

My trip: Union station (Gotrain) -> Burlington (GoBus) -> Niagara Falls (Uber) -> Fort Erie (On foot)-> Peace bridge

They only take about 30 applications/day at this location so it is recommended to be at the border early. I travelled with my friend, and we woke up at 6h30. By the time we got back to the Canadian border (After having breakfast and a 40 minutes walk to and back from the bridge) it was almost 8:00 am which is the time they open for flagpole process.

It seems that each application would take approximately half an hour from the time you submit your passport until you got the PGWP. Officers seem nice and chill. One of them even asked my friend if 3 years is enough for his PGWP :))

Documents that I brought with me:

Study Permit (Must be valid for re-entry)
Letter of confirmation of graduation
Diploma and Certificate (I did two 8 months programs)
Official Transcript
Passport
IMM form (they did not take it)
Letter of explanation ( To explain to the officer why I need a 3 years PGWP cause in some situation, people only got like 1-2 years)

Payment is $255

If you have any question, please let me know!!!
I hope that my post could help you to have a successful flagpole in the future as well!!!

Last edited:

JohnSmith123

Star Member
Jun 15, 2022
So I wanted to post on here that I have successfully did my flag pole at Fort Erie on Tuesday July 27th.
I booked a motel near the border called: Haven Motel.

My trip: Union station (Gotrain) -> Burlington (GoBus) -> Niagara Falls (Uber) -> Fort Erie (On foot)-> Peace bridge

They only take about 30 applications/day at this location so it is recommended to be at the border early. I travelled with my friend, and we woke up at 6h30. By the time we got back to the Canadian border (After having breakfast and a 40 minutes walk to and back from the bridge) it was almost 8:00 am which is the time they open for flagpole process.

It seems that each application would take approximately half an hour from the time you submit your passport until you got the PGWP. Officers seem nice and chill. One of them even asked my friend if 3 years is enough for his PGWP :))

Documents that I brought with me:

Study Permit (Must be valid for re-entry)
Letter of confirmation of graduation
Diploma and Certificate (I did two 8 months programs)
Official Transcript
Passport
IMM form (they did not take it)
Letter of explanation ( To explain to the officer why I need a 3 years PGWP cause in some situation, people only got like 1-2 years)

Payment is $255

If you have any question, please let me know!!!
I hope that my post could help you to have a successful flagpole in the future as well!!!
Nice man, you have proved that expired TRV gonna work.
My term is going to be next month

Ankit1997@

Jul 2, 2022
I went to the border here in BC this morning and got my PGWP in less than 30 mins! Very similar experience with the this post, except that I didn't go to another border crossing since I was lucky enough to be successful with my first try :)

Also got my wife's OWP extended already and my son's visitor record as well.
Hello, you did all your wife owp and all together or she had to do it separately?

sidj31

Aug 9, 2022
Hi guys, I wanted to thank everyone who posted their experiences at Peace bridge as all the insights were really helpful. I am posting my experience of successfully flagpoling at Peace Bridge/Fort Erie this morning. This was my second attempt as I tried two weeks back but was late according to the border agents so I recommend going early.
I started driving from North York around 5:30 in the morning and was near the peace bridge by 8 am (encountered some traffic on the way). I started looking for a place to park and ended up parking at the Douglas Memorial Hospital. They have paid parking and I was charged $8 for 12 hours. Later the border officer told me I could have just driven across the border for the flagpole (facepalm!) so I def recommend driving otherwise the walk from the parking to the start of the bridge was 15-20 mins and then across the bridge and back was another 40 mins.

I was back at the Canadian side by 9:10 and amusingly there were not many applicants. I am not sure why they refused me the first time! The officers were all nice and courteous and I was done by 11 am.

Documents I carried:
1. Study Permit
2. Passport
3. Transcript (I didn't have a sealed transcript just the online one printed. I don't think they care)
4. Proof of Graduation (they want to see what was the length of your course to determine the length of the PGWP)

I didn't carry anything else and they did not ask me for any additional documents. Also I had a valid TRV if that matters.

Reactions: Clive Standen

nithinte44

Star Member
Aug 7, 2022
The transcript I applied from my university was digital copy. Is it okay if i take a print out and produce it before CBSA ?
Do I have to print it in a special paper? Or do you recommend applying again for a physical copy ($15)?
Do we have to print proof of graduation in a special paper?