+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Studying while on a PGWP

readysetgo

Star Member
Feb 9, 2019
Hello everyone,

I'm currently on a PGWP working full time. I am enrolled in the Quality Management Certification (QMC) course at NAIT. I have the following urgent queries:

1) I do not have a valid Study Permit anymore. Before I enrolled for the QMC course, I had spoken to a Student Advisor at NAIT regarding the requirement of a Study Permit to take the course. I was told that according to IRCC, if the course duration is less than 6 months, then I would not need a Study Permit. The QMC course runs from September to December 2020 (please see link below, it's a part time course), so the advisor told me that I would not need a Study Permit for this. Is this still accurate?

https://www.nait.ca/coned/quality-management?overviewtabs=program-overview

2) A CIC agent confirmed the above point about not requiring a Study Permit for a course less than 6 months. But he also informed me that if I would like to get a Study Permit for a course less than 6 months, then I would have to attend a Designated Learning Institution (DLI). While I understand that NAIT is a DLI, when I enrolled for the QMC course as an international student, I was not asked to submit a Study Permit. Is that because I don’t need one for this course since it does not fall under the DLI programs? This confused me a little.

3) The main reason for the above questions is due to an email I received from NAIT this morning about providing my SIN information in order to receive a T2202 tax form for the next taxation year. If I don’t hold a Study Permit and my current status is a worker with a PGWP, will filing this tax form be a problem for me later on? If yes, should I withdraw from the course?

I don’t wish to do anything against the laws. I am waiting for my Permanent Residency application to go through, so I don’t want anything to hinder that. Could someone please advise what my next steps should be? Is it okay for me to stay enrolled as a student (without a Study Permit, based on the 6 month course length rule stated above) or should I withdraw from the course? My work permit clauses state "Unless authorized, prohibited from attending an education institution......" something along those lines. But I'm just not sure if these certification courses count towards that?

Thank you in advance for your help!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone,

I'm currently on a PGWP working full time. I am enrolled in the Quality Management Certification (QMC) course at NAIT. I have the following urgent queries:

1) I do not have a valid Study Permit anymore. Before I enrolled for the QMC course, I had spoken to a Student Advisor at NAIT regarding the requirement of a Study Permit to take the course. I was told that according to IRCC, if the course duration is less than 6 months, then I would not need a Study Permit. The QMC course runs from September to December 2020 (please see link below, it's a part time course), so the advisor told me that I would not need a Study Permit for this. Is this still accurate?

https://www.nait.ca/coned/quality-management?overviewtabs=program-overview

2) A CIC agent confirmed the above point about not requiring a Study Permit for a course less than 6 months. But he also informed me that if I would like to get a Study Permit for a course less than 6 months, then I would have to attend a Designated Learning Institution (DLI). While I understand that NAIT is a DLI, when I enrolled for the QMC course as an international student, I was not asked to submit a Study Permit. Is that because I don’t need one for this course since it does not fall under the DLI programs? This confused me a little.

3) The main reason for the above questions is due to an email I received from NAIT this morning about providing my SIN information in order to receive a T2202 tax form for the next taxation year. If I don’t hold a Study Permit and my current status is a worker with a PGWP, will filing this tax form be a problem for me later on? If yes, should I withdraw from the course?

I don’t wish to do anything against the laws. I am waiting for my Permanent Residency application to go through, so I don’t want anything to hinder that. Could someone please advise what my next steps should be? Is it okay for me to stay enrolled as a student (without a Study Permit, based on the 6 month course length rule stated above) or should I withdraw from the course? My work permit clauses state "Unless authorized, prohibited from attending an education institution......" something along those lines. But I'm just not sure if these certification courses count towards that?

Thank you in advance for your help!
As long as the completed degree takes 6 months you are fine.

readysetgo

Star Member
Feb 9, 2019
As long as the completed degree takes 6 months you are fine.
Thank you so much for your response. Is there somewhere on the CIC website I can read about this? I’ve read about the short term courses not requiring a Study Permit but I’m guessing those are for students who’re coming to Canada and not for people who’re on a PGWP? I may be wrong, just wanted to clarify. Would it make a difference at all if the institute is a DLI or not? NAIT is I know.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you so much for your response. Is there somewhere on the CIC website I can read about this? I’ve read about the short term courses not requiring a Study Permit but I’m guessing those are for students who’re coming to Canada and not for people who’re on a PGWP? I may be wrong, just wanted to clarify. Would it make a difference at all if the institute is a DLI or not? NAIT is I know.
No the rule applies to everyone not just those entering Canada.