+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study visa refused, need help for reapplication

TripHopMike

Nov 17, 2019
Hello All,

As the title suggest my study visa was refused and now I am thinking of reapplying and in desperate need of advice. The reason for refusal on the letter:

- I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.

- Your proposed studies are not reasonable in light of: your level of establishment, language abilities and/or financial ability and I am not satisfied you are a genuine student and that you will depart Canada at the end of your authorized stay.

You are welcome to reapply if you feel that you can respond to these concerns and can demonstrate that your situation meets the requirements. All new applications must be accompanied by a new processing fee.

My profile:

I am computer engineer and PGD holder in international business with around 10 years of experience in advertising agencies working on digital marketing campaigns for top brands. I am a 35 year old divorced male from India. My last full time job was in April 2018, after that I volunteered for a year at a school for underprivileged children in sikkim. I am planning to study marketing MBA and the reason for studying is to upskill and lack of formal marketing master's education. Currently I am working as a freelance digital marketing consultant. I have taken a loan of around CAD37000, a scholarship of CAD 5000, GIC certificate of CAD 10,000 and some 6-7k CAD in my bank account as FD and cash. The PGD diploma was a part time one year course. I have Toefl score of 99. If it helps, I was let go from my last job because the client moved the business to a new agency and my company could not absorb me on other accounts mainly for the lack of mainline advertising skills. I didn't mention this in my LOE but I am contemplating mentioning this and explaining the need for an MBA in 2nd application. However the 1.5 year gap since April 2018 might be difficult to explain in my long term plans, I did volunteer for most of this time. and kept freelancing. I got admission into a private uni in Vancouver (UCW). Also around 2 years ago I had applied for an express entry PR but didn't get in the pool as my CRS score was low. I think that somehow all that has factored into the decision and I am not sure if reapplying would do any good or I end up wasting more money on this goal. I applied online for the study permit, normal application.

I plan to reapply within one week as classes for the program start in Jan first week.

Please let me know what other info you need to help me.

Thanks much!

Pretty Franca

Star Member
Oct 23, 2019
From your profile, engineering and marketing are not related, you must pick an engineering course, secondly you applied for pr, so the visa officer knows your plan already

Reactions: SpaceTraveller

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The fact that you were able to work in marketing, both in an agency and freelance, with your PGD would lead to concern that MBA will not lead to career advancement. You also have already tried to apply for PR which points to your desire to remain in Canada. There are also issues with your finances. You don’t seem to have enough funds to complete your degree on top of the high living costs in Vancouver. Would also discourage a degree at UCW. It is really an inferior degree which most employers will somewhat discount.

TripHopMike

Nov 17, 2019
if you have to take such a huge loan then naturally the vo will be suspicious of your financial ability. do you have any close relative to sponsor you? like your parents?

secondly you claim the mba is to upskill yourself (for a job). this is fine considering your work experience but it might be better to offer some proof of this somehow that an mba will open job opportunities for you in india.

and your education does not match your intended mba so explain why you changed your mind

lastly why are you coming to canada instead of staying in india? and maybe your pr application did affect your permit chances like you suggested. nothing you could have done about this now though.
Thank you for your suggestions!
Yea my parents can sponsor me. I am thinking of attaching a letter stating that they will help sponsor my education and stay in Vancouver. I am planning to also attach details of land/property they own so that the finance side of application is in better shape. I will work on figuring out the right angle for the MBA education.

Do you think it would help to mention that the cost of MBA in Canada (at least at UCW) is equivalent to cost of MBA in India and the exposure gained in Canada will be very helpful in landing a job in India? Would it help if I say the entrance barrier to good MBA colleges in India is very high due to high competition here?

TripHopMike

Nov 17, 2019
The fact that you were able to work in marketing, both in an agency and freelance, with your PGD would lead to concern that MBA will not lead to career advancement. You also have already tried to apply for PR which points to your desire to remain in Canada. There are also issues with your finances. You don’t seem to have enough funds to complete your degree on top of the high living costs in Vancouver. Would also discourage a degree at UCW. It is really an inferior degree which most employers will somewhat discount.
Thank you for your suggestion! I agree that UCW is not the best of colleges, I was late in my application process and was not left with many credible choices that offer a master's degree. Also most of good college MBR program require GMAT scores, which I am not too keen on taking now as I have less time on my hand considering I have been free rolling for almost one and half year.

I earn peanuts from my freelance gig, I do it mainly for sustenance. I am doing volunteer work because I fell in love with the school and kids, so I am keeping at it as long as I can. I didn't opt for a full time job because my intention was to go for a master's degree and I didn't want to commit wrongfully to a prospective employer.

Do you think it makes sense to reapply, knowing my profile and situation? I am game to try one more time as I have invested a lot of money and time in the last 3-4 months in getting the loan, admission etc. If your answer is yes, any pointers you could share to make my application better? As i mentioned in the last post I plan to submit documents of land/property my parents own along with a letter from them stating that they will sponsor my education?

TripHopMike

Nov 17, 2019
From your profile, engineering and marketing are not related, you must pick an engineering course, secondly you applied for pr, so the visa officer knows your plan already
I did engineering but most of my work experience and interest lies in the field of marketing and hence the choice of marketing mba. It is true that VO knows my plan but isn't that the plan for most students- To stay back and work there? I do not plan to settle outside of India. I just want to work a bit in Canada to get the exposure, come back and use that to work here in India.

MohamedMustafa456789

Star Member
Nov 11, 2019
I have the loan approved but I haven't started the loan so no money in the account yet. How does this help?
it helps because the visa officer prefers a stable flowing bank account where the money is being taken out, used, and back in the account a little bit more for a period of 4-6 months (on your bank statement) rather than a loan or a frozen amount of money in the bank, thus, being refused on financial status. thats how you can address one of the issues

TripHopMike

Nov 17, 2019
it helps because the visa officer prefers a stable flowing bank account where the money is being taken out, used, and back in the account a little bit more for a period of 4-6 months (on your bank statement) rather than a loan or a frozen amount of money in the bank, thus, being refused on financial status. thats how you can address one of the issues
Thanks, I see what you mean. I don't have steady flow of income and have only some days left with me before I request my college to defer admission till next session. I will have to do with the statement from my parents and proof of their properties to show as a means to finance the education. I am hopeful that I can address this issue but I am not as sure about the other issues in my profile.

Rimshajameel001

Oct 31, 2019
Canada
Hi, my name is sara.
I got my visa rejection for September intake , then i got my passport renewal
Now i want to apply for jan intake and i have few concerns ;
1) will my biometric remain valid after renewal of my passport

MohamedMustafa456789

Star Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hi, my name is sara.
I got my visa rejection for September intake , then i got my passport renewal
Now i want to apply for jan intake and i have few concerns ;
1) will my biometric remain valid after renewal of my passport
Yes, your biometrics are valid for the next 10 years, just make sure to print the biometrics letter and include it in your next application.
Better luck next time!

TripHopMike

Nov 17, 2019
Update: I reapplied and got the approval on my application. Heading to BC later this month. Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge and helping out! Cheers :)

puneet1234

Sep 17, 2018
Update: I reapplied and got the approval on my application. Heading to BC later this month. Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge and helping out! Cheers
Congratulations :)

I got an offer from UCW, I am also going to apply for study visa. I would like to ask you if you can share list of supporting documents and SOP guidelines for the study visa. Most importantly the reason due which visa rejected last time. Did you apply for a family along with a study visa.?

Rastapha

Dec 19, 2019
Hey I need help
My visa got refused on these terms
Thank you for your interest in visiting Canada. After careful review of your student permit application and supporting documentation, I have determined that your application does not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR). I am refusing your application on the following grounds:

I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.

I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your family ties in Canada and in your country of residence.

Am Kenya I applied for an advanced diploma in software engineering
I have paid my tuition
Wrote a SOP I guess it was weak

Any help is appreciated