+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study visa problems

OtherSide23

Jun 26, 2014
Hello, I've run into huge problems with my study visa. I walked into immigration in Calgary on the 22nd of August and was told face to face by an immigration officer that on a study permit I could work on or off campus for 20 hours a week, as I applied for the permit after June 1st of this year. However, my study permit says nothing about being able to work on OR off campus, as I found out when I was refused a SIN number at Service Canada today. I've emailed the CIC telling them about this problem. Is there any reason you can see as to why this has happened? It has caused me major problems as I need to work to survive over here. Thanks

usman_14pk

Champion Member
Jan 29, 2013
OtherSide23 said:
Hello, I've run into huge problems with my study visa. I walked into immigration in Calgary on the 22nd of August and was told face to face by an immigration officer that on a study permit I could work on or off campus for 20 hours a week, as I applied for the permit after June 1st of this year. However, my study permit says nothing about being able to work on OR off campus, as I found out when I was refused a SIN number at Service Canada today. I've emailed the CIC telling them about this problem. Is there any reason you can see as to why this has happened? It has caused me major problems as I need to work to survive over here. Thanks
What exactly Service Canada representative told you?
If there is nothing written on your study permit then Service Canada representative must told you that you need a "Confirmation to Work Off-Campus" letter from CIC. Did you heard anything similar from Service Canada representative?

OtherSide23

Jun 26, 2014
Yeah I just sent off an email for that confirmation to work off campus (which is what they told me to do). However, I should still be able to work on campus (and as I applied after June 1st, should be able to work off campus, too!), which isn't on my passport, even though the immigration officer said I could.

usman_14pk

Champion Member
Jan 29, 2013
OtherSide23 said:
Yeah I just sent off an email for that confirmation to work off campus (which is what they told me to do). However, I should still be able to work on campus (and as I applied after June 1st, should be able to work off campus, too!), which isn't on my passport, even though the immigration officer said I could.
You will get that letter withing 10-12 working days from CIC via email. Then just take that letter to Service Canada Office and you will get your SIN.
All the best.