+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit/Work Permit

ovosaoleite

Star Member
Nov 18, 2015
I'm still waiting for a hearing that hasn't be re-escheduled after being postponed. So, on my Open Work Permit it says that I'm not allowed to study or gain any vocational training. Does that mean that if I want to take for example a 'trade diploma' or something like that I would have to apply for a Study permit (and wait another 4 to five months for it) or I don't even have that option, like I don't have the right to study because I'm an asylum claimant?

Would I have to withdraw my claim in order to be able to study? And if I do, would I then lose my work permit and have apply from abroad since the deportation order from the time I claimed would become effective?

Thanks in advance for whoever can help with that!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ovosaoleite said:
I'm still waiting for a hearing that hasn't be re-escheduled after being postponed. So, on my Open Work Permit it says that I'm not allowed to study or gain any vocational training. Does that mean that if I want to take for example a 'trade diploma' or something like that I would have to apply for a Study permit (and wait another 4 to five months for it) or I don't even have that option, like I don't have the right to study because I'm an asylum claimant?

Would I have to withdraw my claim in order to be able to study? And if I do, would I then lose my work permit and have apply from abroad since the deportation order from the time I claimed would become effective?

1. If you withdraw your claim, your removal order becomes effective, and you will be removed from Canada.
2. If you are removed, the refugee claim, probably means that you won't be issued a study permit from abroad, as the VO will have formed the opinion that you would not leave Canada at the end of your studies.
3. No, you don't have any "rights" to study, refugee claimants are issued work permits, so they can support themselves, and that's pretty well it.

GhtoCa

Jun 6, 2015
ovosaoleite said:

You can study but you have to apply for a study permit. Apply through online or paper.

ovosaoleite

Star Member
Nov 18, 2015
Thanks for the replies, but they are a bit different. If I apply for a study permit, will it be issued or they will deny it because I'm an asylum claimant?

rainbowbee

Sep 9, 2015
Definitely you need a study permit.

You can still apply for a study permit while you waiting for your hearing, the same way you applied for work permit.

cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/protected.asp

You still need meet all the conditions to get it I believe, meaning you need to provide a proof of funds etc.

ovosaoleite

Star Member
Nov 18, 2015
Another thing. Would I have to apply for a work permit even if my course would be less than six months, for which I don't need a study permit? What I mean is, would I be punished for studying for less than six months just because I'm a refugee claimant or would the same rules that apply to a 'normal' foreign nantional apply to me?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ovosaoleite said:
Another thing. Would I have to apply for a work permit even if my course would be less than six months, for which I don't need a study permit? What I mean is, would I be punished for studying for less than six months just because I'm a refugee claimant or would the same rules that apply to a 'normal' foreign nantional apply to me?
You need a work permit to work.

International Students (foreign nationals) who are in Canada studying for less than six months are not allowed to work.

artin2015

Oct 4, 2015
Toronto
App. Filed.......
23 aug 2013
File Transfer...
Sep 24 2015
LANDED..........
12-12-2017
HI
Anyone know where i can find Personal Reference Code for online work permit ?
i want apply online but they need Personal Reference Code so i don't know where is it?

hmsh

Dec 15, 2015
artin2015 said:
HI
Anyone know where i can find Personal Reference Code for online work permit ?
i want apply online but they need Personal Reference Code so i don't know where is it?
I heard paper apply is more efficient. So, I applied through paper mail using urgent mail.

artin2015

Oct 4, 2015
Toronto
App. Filed.......
23 aug 2013
File Transfer...
Sep 24 2015
LANDED..........
12-12-2017
i applied 4 March 2016 for extended work permit but until now nothing heard. last time i did it took 25 days and now almost 3 months