+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit requirements - Questions

timothysham

Jul 11, 2016
Hi all, I would like to know if the program of the school would affect study permit application.

Let's say if I take courses under "continuing education" program, would it not grant me a study permit?

What are the requirements? I understand I need a letter of admission. Am I just overthinking?

My brieft situation is... I am on post-graduate work permit and waiting for permanent residency to be processed. In order to stay in Canada, I need to get a study permit before my work permit expires (Oct 2016).

Please let me know what you think/know. Feel free to contact me.

Thanks,
Tim
647-861-1223

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Are continuing education programs even full time courses which would be a prereq for a study permit ?

Also any course still needs to be relevant to existing qualifications and experience from a designated institution.

Having already had a study permit and a PGWP I would think any new application might get some extra focus to assess longer term intentions so would probably need to be strong case in support.

Also you need to check if you can apply for a new study permit whilst in Canada given it is new and not an extension of a current permit.

timothysham

Jul 11, 2016
Bs65 said:
Are continuing education programs even full time courses which would be a prereq for a study permit ?

Also any course still needs to be relevant to existing qualifications and experience from a designated institution.

Having already had a study permit and a PGWP I would think any new application might get some extra focus to assess longer term intentions so would probably need to be strong case in support.

Also you need to check if you can apply for a new study permit whilst in Canada given it is new and not an extension of a current permit.
That's why I was worried. I am mostly likely applying for colleges. But sigh this does not sound good at all...

I know about designated institution but yea I understand where you are coming from.

Sorry I don't understand what you mean by "if you apply a new study permit", I assume you can apply for study permit as long as you get a letter of admission with a designated instituion with full time program?